worried about getting loose skin

Options
Hi, I have around a 100lbs to lose. I'm Worried about getting loose skin, mainly on my arms and stomach.
Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I could keep this to a minimum??

Replies

• p0stdramatic
    Options
    Lose slowly and stay hydrated. And hope for the best.
  • bohdanko
    bohdanko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly, other than not losing too quickly and staying hydrated as stated previously, it's a crap shoot. Genetics and age have a whole lot more to do with it than anything else. That said, though, loose skin can be hidden much, much better than 100 excess pounds!
  • m3g4nskyl3r
    Options
    Bump:happy:
  • michael300891
    Options
    Not really much I can suggest except try doing some resistance exercise to add a bit of muscle which will help a little.
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Options
    Lose slowly...
    But eventually it will mostly depend on your skin constitution (thickness and so on) :sad:
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds and although I was healthy and lean when I was finished losing the reward was still not there I had depleted my body of all I had to lose and I was left mortified with a skirt of skin all around me. Its important to stay hydrated and not lose too quickly or do crash diets.

I had a lower body lift in May of 2010 after battling the excess skin for two years and doing suggestions from crazy workouts to supplements etc but none worked so I went under the knife and to be honest its the best decision I made since wanting to lose the body fat.

Chin up and no matter what happens what counts is that you take off that excess weight and stay healthy.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For anyone in here that thinks they will need support in this area please message me and I will be happy to help. Its almost two years post op and all is well!
  • monkeypain1984
    monkeypain1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, im the same as you with needing to lose around 100 lbs. All i can advise is you try and lose the weight slowly whilst doing regular exercises to tone the areas your on about.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't log my water intake on here, but I try and consume at least 144 ounces a day. I have been worried about the skin thing but it seems like it is working ok for me. Water consumption, how fast you loose and age play a big part.
  • thatlook
    thatlook Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    this is my nightmare scenario: i manage to shift the massive 2/3's of me that shouldnt be here with me (around 176lbs!) and im left with a body that looks like it need inflating with a car tyre pump!! being 31 i actually wonder if ive left it too late and will be left with my nightmare...ive spoken to my bestie about this endlessly and between us we came to the conclusion that i will just have to wait and see!!

i drink my minimum quota of water most days and am trying to do excercises that will combat my 'scary area's' mainly my stomach and legs, but at the moment im dropping the lbs quite fast (35lb in 6 weeks) anyone who has this same worry (or has in the past!) please feel free to add me any help or support i can get is gratefully appreciated!
  • saraparris82
    Options
    If you figure it out, let me know! I have lost 70lbs since I started Weight Watchers 7 years ago. I lost it gradually. I am left with tons of loose sagging skin that is absolutely disgusting. I will never be happy with the way I look because of it. It's been well over the magical 2 year mark since the bulk of it was lost. It doesn't go anywhere.

I wish you luck! To be clear, I'm still absolutely thrilled to be at a healthy weight, even with the loose skin. I at least look good with clothes on :)
  • SaraADaigle
    Options
    Lose slowly and stay hydrated. And hope for the best.

I totally agree with this .... I lost 60lbs so far and I am tight and getting firmer ... I have no problems with sagging skin but I have exersized and not lost the weight very fast but slow and steady :) and keep on exercising!!!!
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It really depends on several factors.

As we get older, the odds become against us.

-Genetics (family history)
    The best way to determine this is take a look at older family members and their skin. Is it still young and tight looking or very saggy? Another way to tell is pregnancy in the family. Did the skin bounce back after the baby or did it leave a sag?

-Amount of weight lost
    The more weight we have to loose, the worse the odds are.

I lost over 90 lbs and have ran into this issue. Yes, it's not flattering at all, but you know I looked at it in a positive way. What would I rather be? Do I want to be FAT, miserable and unhealthy for the rest of my life or do I want to have loose skin? Me personally would much rather have to deal with some skin issue vs. plus size shopping, diabetes, heart disease, etc.
    Stay hydrated, work activity into your daily regimen, and live a healthy lifestyle and give it some time because only time will tell. :)

Over time I can tell that my skin is bouncing back slowly so I'm just playing the waiting game to see what happens.

Good luck to you on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Why worry? Loose skin or 100#s. what's going to kill you first? At least even if you have loose skin you are healthier and can live a longer life. Or your other option, shorter life with multiple health problems, difficulty walking and moving BUT you won't have loose skin!

Besides that's why God made plastic surgeons.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    my stomach skin is bad but i am not planning on wearing a bikini ever again so that i can live with and hide. my arms are what are really bothering me -- i see it getting worse every week and have no hope but to just live with it. hanging skin arms are better than the fat arms i have lived with for so many years.
  • Trinketona
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds years ago and no loose skin. But im trying to loose another 30 pounds and hopefully I wont get loose skin. Back when I lost the first 50 pounds I was 21 but now I'm 30...Just like everyone else just a waiting game. Good luck to everyone.