Special K and All Bran

Options
Hi, i was eating in the morning or in the night Special k and All Bran bars but i read in a magazine that this products
arent a healthy choice, what do you think i wanna know your opinion :)

Replies

• StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals. Read the ingredients list and that will tell you if there is stuff in there you don't want. For example, right now, I am working on eliminating sugar and white flour, so there are only a few meal bars that I will eat. If you are trying to increase protein, there are other choices with more grams of protein per serving. If you're choosing these as a snack instead of a regular candy bar, and if you don't have a problem with any of the ingredients, one every once in a while should not be a problem. But if you're eating one or more every day, then you're using up calories on them that you may need to use on more nutritious whole foods, like fruits or veggies or lean meat instead and you may want to look at it from a total nutrition angle.
  • Miss_curvy
    Miss_curvy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ok thanks, yes i want to eliminate sugar and eat less carbs but i dont know which bars are the good choice, could you tell me anyone?
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time standing in the store reading the labels. The Myoplex Lite bars are pretty good, and the Pure Protein bars too. Have to count them into my total calories for the day. Depending on where you live, you may find some other really good options when you read the labels on what's available in your area. For my goals, I try to get as much protein as possible in as few calories as I can--less than 17 g of protein does not fit into my plan. Be sure to look at the Lite bars and not just the Protein bars, some of those are made for males who are weight-training and they can have 300, 400 and more calories each! If you use a smartphone to log your foods, the little bar code scanner is super helpful, as you just scan it in and click Add and it's in there.

Are you eating these because they taste so good, or because they are a convenient way to get your daily nutrition? You may have to plan some other options, even packing your meals and snacks in a cooler so you can eat as healthy as you want, no matter where you are. More whole foods and real foods are always better for you than pre-packaged.
  • clarkie57
    clarkie57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cereals should be high in fiber 3gms per serving or more and low in sugar 5gms or less. Go for some that list only one or 2 ingredients and in their most natural state, Oatmeal ( the old fashioned kind)
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    im looking to cut carbs as well, but i stopped going to the bathroom because I wasn't eating whole grains w/ fiber. I started eating the Bran Buds cereal to get the fiber in it. Although i don't like eating things with a lot of fake ingredients, and im trying to cut sugar... pooping is important!! lol. So it all depends on what you're goals are. if wholistinc nutrition is your focal point, i would say don't even eat cereal (although kashi go lean protein cereal is the best all around cereal i've found). But if you want a cereal with lotsssss of fiber, while still maintaining low carb, the bran buds is awesome
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, i was eating in the morning or in the night Special k and All Bran bars but i read in a magazine that this products
    arent a healthy choice, what do you think i wanna know your opinion :)

Personally, I wouldn't eat them unless I was desperate. Full of sugar and not much nutritional value. There are some great recipes around for homemade bars, eg

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=394740

Similar calories but SO much better nutritionally and will keep you much more satisfied :)