Elliptical trainer questions

Options
Hi, I'm 6 weeks into my new lifestyle of health and fitness. I work out 6 days a week at the gym and have reduced my eating to 1300 calories a day per MFP's recommendations. I'm excited to have lost 6-7 lbs, right in line with my goal.

Each morning I do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and then 20-30 minutes of strength training on various weight machines.

At first the elliptical machine was showing that I was burning about 218 calories each time. I upped the resistance a bit and was able to burn about 250, with the mileage showing 2.5 miles. I have been able to get close to 300 calories in 30 minutes by increasing the resistance to about 7, but that's it. Is this normal? I am sweating profusely and feeling like I am getting a really good workout, but I hear about people burning a lot more calories than that. It seems the only way I can burn more calories is by staying on the machine a lot longer! But that's about all the time I can allot at this point, since I have to get kids off to school and get myself ready for work.

I look forward to any advice or insights y'all have on this.

Replies

• monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The machines give you a very rough estimate....Burning calories really depends on your size / heart rate etc- maybe try a heart rate monitor to give you a more accurate reading?
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I generally burn more then that, but I'm also pretty big. Also I have noticed, the machine read out is much lower then my HRM read out and when I just do Cardio on the Elliptical my burn is less then if I do interval training.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Do you use a heart monitor ? That is the only way to get an accurate reading .... using the machine info is just a estimate based on time and resistance.
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. Of course the more resistance, the more you will burn. Have you thought about getting a Heart Rate Monitor? Using a HRM will help you get more accurate readings :)
  • NoPortionControl
    Options
    Hi there! I usually do about 30 mins on the elliptical as well. There is an option on the elliptical at my gym to enter your weight, supposedly that better calculates how many calories you burn. I vary the levels during my elliptical workout to get my heart rate up and then slow it down...but I usually end up burning about 320 calories or so. Also, it may be a good idea to switch up what type of cardio you're doing each day. Your body will respond better to your daily workouts if they're switched up from time to time.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a heart rate momitor? The Polar series seems to be very popular and has a great reputation for accurancy. I have almost 100 pounds to lose so I went and bought the BodyMedia Fit which is NOT a heart rate monitor at all but rather it track your entire day of calories burned and then some.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Rough estimate would be 80-100 calories per 1 mile, whether it be running, elliptical trainer, etc.. On the elliptical I'd probably stick to the lower end of the scale, it is not as strenuous as the others.
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds about right. Ofcourse depending on weight and all that info. I have a heart rate monitor and it says I burn about 300 (sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more) when doing 30 min on elliptical doing the weight loss program resistance 1 than 8 every minute for 33 min (including cool down). I now skip the elliptical and do Zumba and Turbo kick where on average I burn about 625 for 1 hr (but the hour flies by!). Good luck and congratulation on your weight loss!
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound so clueless, but what is a heart rate monitor exactly? Is it a device I strap on to myself? I'm still very new to all this. :embarassed:

I do input my weight and age into the elliptical machine.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a heart rate monitor for a more accurate reading.
    I was estimating about 300 calories burned in my 45 minute Zumba class - I bought a HRM yesterday and used it last night in Zumba - turns out I burned 488 calories. HRM = best investment ever.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM? The calorie counts on the machine itself is not going to be accurate and will actually tell you that you are burning more calories than what you really are. A HRM is alot more accurate because it is based on your OWN personal information.

Have you considered doing intervals on the elliptical? Maybe warm up for 5 minutes of a resistance of 6...watching your SPM (strides per minute) and then maybe do 5 minutes on a resistance of 7, trying to increase your strides and stay there. then go back down to a resistance of 6 for 5 minutes and go back and forth for the 30 minutes. That is one option. Another option would be to set the resistance a little higher (8-9) and do 15-30 second speed bursts. You increase your speed for 15-30 seconds and then recover for 15-30 seconds and go back and forth. That will bring your Heart rate wayyyy up and the recovery will try to bring your heart rate back down before you go again.

I have found that when I do intervals like that I can burn a good 350-400 for only 30 minutes VS if you just do steady state (staying at the same speed and resistance) you might now burn as many calories.

Hope that helps.
  • TigersLions
    Options
    I'm struggling with the eliptical machine. I use a Precor at home and it was saying for 40 minutes at a resistance of 10 and a little over 100 steps per minute (where I am sweating profusely) that I am burning about 390 calories per session. I also use cardio trainer on my phone at the same time and it is reasonably close. So, I just bought a heart rate monitor to see just how accurate my different exercise calories burned are and for this particular exercise it is telling me I am only burning 280!!! My only guess is because I am not moving my arms at all. I just have them holding the bars. So, I'm really confused myself. Which one is right?? I have to assume my heart rate monitor is correct so like you, I am adding strength training for 20 minutes.

So, assuming my heart rate monitor is correct - my advice to you is to move your arms but will your eliptical know that? So, best thing would be to buy a heart rate monitor to know for sure.
  • dewaynechapman
    dewaynechapman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes on my elliptical most days and it always said I burned about 300-350 calories. Then I got an HRM and it says I burn anywhere from 80-100 more than the elliptical shows.
  • tinamatteson
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM? The calorie counts on the machine itself is not going to be accurate and will actually tell you that you are burning more calories than what you really are. A HRM is alot more accurate because it is based on your OWN personal information.

Have you considered doing intervals on the elliptical? Maybe warm up for 5 minutes of a resistance of 6...watching your SPM (strides per minute) and then maybe do 5 minutes on a resistance of 7, trying to increase your strides and stay there. then go back down to a resistance of 6 for 5 minutes and go back and forth for the 30 minutes. That is one option. Another option would be to set the resistance a little higher (8-9) and do 15-30 second speed bursts. You increase your speed for 15-30 seconds and then recover for 15-30 seconds and go back and forth. That will bring your Heart rate wayyyy up and the recovery will try to bring your heart rate back down before you go again.

I have found that when I do intervals like that I can burn a good 350-400 for only 30 minutes VS if you just do steady state (staying at the same speed and resistance) you might now burn as many calories.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I will definitely try this!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am about the same weight as you.. I do 30 minutes of elliptical on Fat Burn Level 8 and burn about 330-350 Calories in 30 minutes. My chest strap HRM is read thru the machine, so I think it is pretty accurate.
  • als40850
    Options
    I'm no expert on the elliptical, but I can tell you my experience! Each elliptical, even if it feels the same, seems to show a different amount of calories burned so don't get discouraged. I have lost 70 of my 80 lbs from doing 30 minutes on the elliptical about 5 days a week and nothing more. A lot of the time when I was really out of shape there was little to no resistance. You'll see results! I recently switched over to interval training and I will run a minute/walk a minute on the treadmill and keep alternating like that. Throw that in a day or two a week for 20-30 mins instead of the elliptical and you'll feel the difference!

Plus the fact that you're doing this in the morning is really helping your metabolism throughout the day so in the worst case, even if you feel like you might not be burning the calories you want to be burning, it's making a difference all day long. When I switched to morning workouts the pounds were falling off even though I felt like I was tired and maybe not doing that much.

You're doing awesome, good luck on a really rewarding journey!! :)
  • tinamatteson
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get a HRM. Where do I get one?
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That does seem about right... I do 60 minutes on the elliptical and burn about 850 calories, give or take depending on resistance and speed. If you feel like you're getting a good workout and you're sweating, I wouldn't worry about it. 300-350 in a half hour is a good burn :-)
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the elliptical I do interval training. I do 1 minute at 20, recover minute at 5, double my speed at 5 for another minute, then back to level 20. I try to bring my heart rate down as much as possible in that one recover minute (controlled breathing etc...) but bring it as high as possible in the 2 minutes of speed followed by high resistance.

For an additional muscle workout, during the speed portion, keep your hips in one position instead of bounding up and down (almost like you are on Tony Little's Gazelle workout). Really burns your quads and butt.
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    yuo already have th ebest answer numerous times...get an HRM