Egg question: does it matter how it's cooked?

Options
pinuplove
pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
An egg is an egg is an egg, right? Barring added stuff like butter for frying or mayo for deviling, it doesn't matter if I eat an egg poached or boiled or poached or slurped down raw (eww!), right? There are like 29 different entries for boiled eggs and boiled egg whites, many with different nutritional values (whites are obviously different from whole, but they also differ from each other). I get that a medium egg is fewer calories than x-large, but your standard large egg should be the same across the board, right?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Check your carton. Depending on how the animals are fed they could have different nutrition facts.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Check your carton. Depending on how the animals are fed they could have different nutrition facts.

Ooh, good point, thanks!
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, any normal sized egg cooked without oil is 70 calories. That is all you need to know. An ostrich egg is a different story but in general, all eggs are around 70 calories.
  • ReluctantKiller
    Options
    Random thought... When devilling eggs, swap the mayo for plain ol' yellow mustard... Yeah it's a bit different flavor, but less calories and tastes amazing!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I agree an egg is an egg is an egg(other than the stuff mentioned) i still go with the fried egg cuz its a few more even tho my non stick pan takes the place of a little butter, i figure who knows what calories i mess up on,
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Random thought... When devilling eggs, swap the mayo for plain ol' yellow mustard... Yeah it's a bit different flavor, but less calories and tastes amazing!

It's a true story -- I actually like the taste of mustard-heavy deviled eggs much more than those oozing with mayo. Same goes for potato salad, a mustard-soaked salad = way tastier than spuds swimming in mayo. And I feel like that's saying a lot--I really like mayonnaise.
  • lilymae04
    Options

i do it the unhealthy way and add mayo AND mustard to mine. lol
  • linkomega
    linkomega Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may want to try non-fat plain yogurt with a litlle creole mustard. Before I retired I was a Master Chef and I prepared them like this for my clients
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You may want to try non-fat plain yogurt with a litlle creole mustard. Before I retired I was a Master Chef and I prepared them like this for my clients

^ Yum! sounds amazing!! Will definitely try this
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I use mix of mayo and mustard to make deviled eggs or potato salad. and big plus, you use a fat free/lite mayo can't taste a difference with the mustard added.
    But on topic: I agree with checking the carton, don't know there is much difference in calories except when talking about size.
    *have you ever tried a country scrambled egg? We fix them at the deli. Crack the egg in pan like you are going to fry it, then take your fork through it 5 or 6 times and cook. Yummy an something different to try. :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I make them using dijon mustard and cracked black pepper olive oil mayo ... AWESOME!