New gym membership-how do you get past the pain?

Options
I signed up for the gym ~ 1st time in my life. Paid for the personal trainer and all. Went to work out with him the first time last Friday and ended up almost throwing up/passing out after only a few reps of strength training. I see him again tomorrow morning. I really want to lose weight and get strong and healthy again, but I do NOT want to puke trying to get there.

Do I have to push so hard right out of the gate, or is it alright to take it slow at first? I'm 35 pounds over weight, desk job for the past 7 years, and a mid/heavy beer drinker (yeah, I know I know ~ cut out the beer). I just don't want to over do it, dislike it and just say screw it, I quit.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kim

Replies

• anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started working out after being EXTREMELY SEDENTARY for 5 years. I was very overweight (well..still am, but 49 lbs lighter)..and believe it was hard.

After the first week or two, the pain diminished. (That pain that lasts for a few days) I still get sore after strength training, or pushing myself extra on my cardio, doing new stuff, etc..but that initial HURT I know you're going through goes away. Believe me.

You just have to have the courage to do it and keep going. After you make it through the first week or two, and make working out something you do consistently, you will find it doesn't hurt in the same way anymore, and you can somewhat enjoy it :)

If you have pain that feels injury related, that is another thing. You of course, would not want to hurt yourself anymore.

I went and had a massage after my first 3 weeks of working out. Although I was quite sore the day after it, I felt more limber the weeks following.

Good luck, and keep trying!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Its going to be hard. Getting in shape and losing weight is, that's why so many people fail. Its great that you have a trainer. They will push you and get you the best results for your time. It will be very hard for a while, but make sure you drink plenty of water and eat lots of protein. That will probably help some. Make sure you stretch well too. Make sure you are fueling your body properly. Not only will it help you slim down, but it will help you power through workouts and aid in recovery. I know it stinks to hear, but you just have to push through the pain, as long as it isn't an injury. Make sure you tell your trainer about any pains you have.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I give myself a few rest days between resistance training days.
    And I ignore the pain....:smokin:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You sure did go all out! You're going to hurt, but you'll feel better in the long run! I now enjoy the soreness after a good workout, because it let's me know I did something. And the endorphin high post workout is totally worth the pain! Adopt the just do it attitude, and you'll be enjoying it in no time! (Took me about 3 weeks to get there!)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You may have become nauseous from eating too soon before your workout. Working out is all about listening to your body and figuring out what works for you, often times that means how long before or after your workout that you eat, how much water you need, etc. It is a learning process, but when something like that happens, I tend to think, "Hmm, that's odd! The human body is so strange..." and figure out how to get it to work the way I want it to, like a big science project. Bwahaha! Try to think objectively I guess.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A professional trainer should be able to customize a workout for you that will take into consideration your fitness level and your goals. Did you do a fitness test with this trainer to see where you are, as a base? This trainer should also be preparing charts for you to be able to come into the gym on your own, in between sessions with him/her -- and work on your plan to get stronger & more fit. This should include some cardio and strength training in combination.

The good news is, that after starting a plan of work several days a week, the soreness will become bearable, and you will start to see results which will be the best motivation of all.
  • ghettosmurf999
    ghettosmurf999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you felt that bad on the first training session with a trainer - either you've lied about your current activity level and strength, said you're feeling ok and the weights ok when it's not, or he's incredibly bad at his job!

And if you've been honest with the first two things - or said that it's two much and he's carried on at that pace - i'd ditch him and find someone else that better understands your needs - as like you said, you'll associate going to the gym with feeling awful and won't go again.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It's going to hurt. It's not an easy road. You have to decide what you hate more... the pain or being fat and out of shape. Only one can win.

I have bursitis and a heel spur. Yesterday I did a 5 mile run. Around mile 3.5 it was hurting. I had to choose between stopping or finishing my route. So long as my leg isn't broken I will continue.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    And if you puke, you wouldn't be the first. If you look at the old school body builders, they kept puke buckets next to the squat racks.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Be careful what you have on your stomach before you go yo the gym. And make sure your trainer knows your limitations and that you got sick last you worked out with him. The first work outs will be hard though and people have puked after and during a work out before. It will get better. Don't get get discouraged and quit. Your body was just screaming "what are you doing to me". You just have to keep telling yourself quitting is not an option. Good luck.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym about 3 weeks ago and have been going at least 5 days a week. I'm sore ALL THE TIME-- not an injured sore, just a constant dull achiness, but you just have to ignore it and keep going, you know? :)
    If there's ever a day that's really bad I'll take a rest day and a nice, hot bubble bath.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and take it at the pace you need. For the first several months I was going to the gym I only walked on the treadmill and used the machines for strength training. Now I really switch up the cardio to all the various machines and enjoy the crazy workouts my trainer comes up with. But it's definitely been a gradual process. You don't have to go all out from day one to have success.
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is going to hurt. But throwing up/passing out is not good. If you feel yourself getting close to that again, tell your trainer you need to slow down a bit. Work back up within a few weeks.

Also - stretch! I stretch before and after my work outs and it makes the biggest difference.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I did my first personel trainer sessions this week and I feel like I got hit by a truck haha. You will be in pain, it's normal but I find even if I am in pain, the second we start working out it goes away and the next day you feel better. Just suck it up for a week or 2 and you will not regret it.
  • albuslux
    Options
    A professional trainer should be able to customize a workout for you that will take into consideration your fitness level and your goals. Did you do a fitness test with this trainer to see where you are, as a base? This trainer should also be preparing charts for you to be able to come into the gym on your own, in between sessions with him/her -- and work on your plan to get stronger & more fit. This should include some cardio and strength training in combination.

The good news is, that after starting a plan of work several days a week, the soreness will become bearable, and you will start to see results which will be the best motivation of all.
    I agree. There's no reason to start at such an intense level. It causes stress and stress makes you retain fat. The key is commitment to regular work outs, building a routine of going to the gym and enjoying it. Intense work outs will get you there faster but not if it makes you avoid the gym. Muscle pain? Ibuprofen and a hot bath with a few drops of juniper and lavender oil.
  • mrdalton
    Options
    Give it time for your trainer to get to know you and your strengths and weaknesses. I also tend to feel sick when I am pushing myself hard with my trainer. I just tell him I need a break or need to stop for the day. I also am not afraid to tell him on the third set of reps we need to lower the weight. Maybe try eating something before working out. It gets easier. I promise. Just keep at it. And yes it is ok to take it slow in the beginning.. Just do what you can. You are still lapping everyone who is on the couch LOL
  • DaddyofMEA
    Options
    You'll get through it I promise. I just started working out with a trainer this year. 13 years desk job and over 100 lbs overweight. My trainer recomended MSM, it helps with reducing the swelling and this helps to reduce the pain.

Now I know I'm doing good if I hit the point I'm about to throw up. It means I've pushed my body hard and I'm getting my money's worht out of my trainer and my gym membership!

Just remember that it's worth, before long you'll feel small improvements and then you'll start to see them. It'll get addictive and you will be able to enjoy your beer without feeling as guilty!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    YES it's alright to ease your way in to exercise!!! It just baffles me that trainers push people to do a full hour workout when they've never worked out before!

Before working with a trainer, I think a 'newbie' is better off easing their way in. Spend a few days just getting moving: walk/jog/run on treadmill; try the eliptical; swim some laps; jump rope. Start with 20-25 minutes and build up until it feels too easy and you find yourself itching to do more. THAT's the time to hire a trainer.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I have never been to the point of nausea. It is good to work out hard, but make sure you listen to your body. When I started to lose weight I was 33 years old, 260 pounds at not quite 5'3", very sedentary and have asthma. I stopped eating fast food and junk food and walked. I started slow because it is what worked for me (2.5 mph for 20 minutes). I pushed myself as hard as I could even if all it was was walking. Just be sure to always push yourself hard and listen to your body.
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You mention in your profile that you have acid reflux - the nausea you mention might be connected. Mention this to your trainer. Also, I found this article http://skinnybulkup.com/exercise-induced-nausea/ which gives some good advice.
    Sore muscles after exercise are pretty common, but as you progress it will improve. Just be sure to take rest days to allow you body to recover. I have pretty bad DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) today as I went back to Bodypump on Monday after a looong break, but I know from past experience that it will improve and I won't be as sore from the next session.
    Hang in there, it will be worth it!!