Strength Training for "Obese" people?

Options
Hello all,

I have been trying to find an answer to this one, but am seeing so many conflicting articles that I thought I'd put it out there. . . .

Now I am fairly convinced that when you get down to a certain body fat percentage and are looking to tone-up, that it's all about the strength training. My question is: As the stage I'm at, around 260 lbs, with still 80-100 lbs to lose, is cardio or strength better for pure fat-loss ??

My original plan was to do 80/20 cardio/strength until I achieved my goal weight, and then switch to 80/20 strength/cardio to tone up. Not sure if this is still the thing to do?? Weight loss so far has been great with the cardio, but am just unsure at which point I should be upping the strength??

Any tips greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

T

Replies

• ema727
    ema727 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Building muscle will burn fat. I would do a combination of both. You can find programs that combine both strength and cardio so you are not doing two separate things.
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ema, my problem is |I only have a set amount of time at the gym and am struggling to decide which is the most productive split of strength/cardio for my current situation.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Don't think of your fat as fat, but a huge tank of fuel, because in reality that is what it is. Your body has so much stored up energy you could do 100/100 cardio/strength. Just make sure you are eating properly and push that body to its limit!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Invest in a trainer for a couple of sessions and pick their brains. Make sure it isn't one of those trainers that has only done a weekend course, but somebody who has studied for a while.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    for reference, check out www.jeremyyost.com. I'm not a p90x coach or anything like that. He is and he went from 350 lbs to the 190's doing P90x which is a lot of weight training.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is my second go at getting healthy. I did it about 10 years ago and started where we are both at now. My regimen was:

Monday - 10-20m Cardio - Upper body weights
    Tuesday - 30-60m Cardio Morning and again afternoon
    Wednesday - 10-20m Cardio - Lower body weights
    Thursday - 30-60m Cardio Morning and again afternoon
    Friday - 10-20m Cardio - Upper body weights
    Saturday - 60-90m Cardio
    Sunday Rest.

i was 190 in 3 months :) Hope that helps!
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    My trainer has always said, if you only have time for one....do strength training. Lift heavy and utilize your time at the gym. I only started doing cardio on a regular basis since I lost most of my weight. Good luck to you!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Don't think of your fat as fat, but a huge tank of fuel, because in reality that is what it is. Your body has so much stored up energy you could do 100/100 cardio/strength. Just make sure you are eating properly and push that body to its limit!

Exactly! why not go 100$% lifting 4 days then cardio 2-3?
    Toning later will suck. Lift now and prevent muscle loss and look a lot better at your goal weight
  • kshim24
    kshim24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally think that literally combining the two is the best option if you have limited time. This would be something like, doing strength training exercises in a circuit of some type or adding more cardio-intensive exercises in between each strength exercise. I have seen people do weights, then jog around the room between each set, or jump rope for a minute or so if that is possible. Or as I mentioned earlier, doing strength exercises one after another (hitting different muscles so that those particular muscles are getting a rest even if your whole body isn't) can definitely get the heart rate up.

Either way, getting out and doing the exercise is the important part. Way to take the initiative and good luck!!
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect strength training. I started at 289, and only concentrated on cardio. I REGRET not concentrating on strength training from the beginning. I have not really committed to it at any point, and it is so hard to change that habit. I know that I would be in so much better shape had I done strength training all along the way. It is the one thing I really regret and the one thing I recommend to people just starting out with large weight loss goals.
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get two of the Jillian Michael's DVD workouts! Its strength with cardio combo and it's only 25 to 30 minutes! There's 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Get both so you can switch up and don't get bore with the same exercise. But believe me it's really good!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I suggest you get two of the Jillian Michael's DVD workouts! Its strength with cardio combo and it's only 25 to 30 minutes! There's 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Get both so you can switch up and don't get bore with the same exercise. But believe me it's really good!

Compared to lifting at the gym the 30DS and such are garbage.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You could also work in some exercise at home, not just limit it to the gym. I, too, had limited time at the gym last year, so I began running late at night, when the kids were in bed and saved my gym time for the weights. An alternative would be a boxing bag in the garage, or make some homemade weights and use the gym for cardio.

I don't know what is the optimum split between weights and cardio, but I'm having good luck with about a 50/50 split. I do go to the gym 6 days, but have done the weights from home if unable to make it. I bought a weight bench at a yard sale, so have actual bars, and weights, but you could make due with dumbbells or other objects.

Mon-abs (can do at home - planks, hanging leg lifts, crunches.)
    Tue-cardio (zumba class)
    Wed-legs/glutes (can do at home using dumbbells or jugs of sand - squats, lunges, deadlifts)
    Thu-cardio (zumba or spin class)
    Fri- arms/cehst/upper body (can do at home with dumbbells - curls, overheads, pullups, rows, etc.)
    Saturday - rest
    Sun-cardio (kickboxing class)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Exactly! why not go 100$% lifting 4 days then cardio 2-3?
    Toning later will suck. Lift now and prevent muscle loss and look a lot better at your goal weight

this. this this this!

you can do three days a week of cardio, and about three days a week of strength training. it'll help you "tone" up, and cut body fat percentage, and prevent the dreaded 'skinny fat.'
  • angelv_1
    Options
    Its not very good to do strength training everyday because strength training tears your muscles. They need 24-48 hours to recover.
    Cardio gets your heart rate up which burns calories.

If you work out everyday I would suggest you alternate your days Cardio, Strength Training, Cardio, etc

I do low impact cardio at least once everyday (walking 30 mins to and/or from work instead of the bus)
    I do a mix of high and low impact cardio with a very short light weight training 3-5 times a week.
    I have also converted my office desk to a standing desk vs a sitting one. This is much healthier and it keeps all your muscles awake and moving.

I hope you have found some good ideas from all the responses that you can utilize!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio anywhere. You can strength train anywhere. However it's a lot more difficult to progress in strength outside of a gym. Also, I'm about 50 pounds heavier than you and strength training. Being obese isn't a reason not to.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I agree with using 100% of your time on strength. Or even 80/20 strength / cardio.

You don't NEED the cardio unless you enjoy it, or you want to build up your endurance. The strength training is definitely going to give you more bang for your buck in the long term
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    I have seen people do weights, then jog around the room between each set, or jump rope for a minute or so if that is possible.

I would like to see these people train Olympic lifts at 80% max effort, try to jump rope for a minuet and then do another set of Oly lifts without breaking form. I'd stand by ready to dial 911.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Go grab those weights... focus on major muscle groups and combined exercises like squats, deadlifts and free weights for your upper body- rows and pushes...

Build those muscles up, and they will help you burn fat... and when you decide you want to start to incorporate more cardio they will help you the most!
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    You can do cardio anywhere. You can strength train anywhere. However it's a lot more difficult to progress in strength outside of a gym. Also, I'm about 50 pounds heavier than you and strength training. Being obese isn't a reason not to.

And that is why i love nope.