burning 2000 calories a day!!!

Options
right here's my problem............
when im at work im burning approx 2000 calories a day ( i should only work 4 days a week for 4 hrs each and im constantly walking around at a slow pace) should i eat those calories back???? im allowed approx 1600 a day without excercise based on my weight at the minute and i sometimes find trouble eating those!!!:huh:

im needing to lose around 150/160 lbs and ive been dieting for 3 weeks and lost 12lbs already but 7lb of that was in my first week when i didnt even attempt to eat my burned calories back!! :happy:

please any advice would be great thankyou in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    when im at work im burning approx 2000 calories a day
    What exactly do you do? If you're walking around at a slow pace at your job, there is NO WAY you are burning 2000 kcal. If you are you are felling trees or digging ditches that would make sense, but walking slowly will not do it.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    2000 calories a day?? Wow, what are you doing? That is very intense work outs!

So based on your post you'd have to eat apx 3600 calories a day if you ate all your calories back? I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure how one can eat healthy and eat 3600 calories in one day. 2 Big Mac's for lunch - sure....but if you're watching your diet you shouldn't go over 2000 - 2400 per day.

So I say stay around 2000 per day - eat healthy calories and you'll lose the right way and you'll be able to maintain once you reach your goal.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    What exactly do you do? If you're walking around at a slow pace at your job, there is NO WAY you are burning 2000 kcal. If you are you are felling trees or digging ditches that would make sense, but walking slowly will not do it.
    [/quote

according to mfp i do!! im constantly walking and climbing at work but i just put tha walking as thats a constant
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    you should probably change your activity level to a higher level rather than counting these as exercise calories..?
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    2000 calories a day?? Wow, what are you doing? That is very intense work outs!

So based on your post you'd have to eat apx 3600 calories a day if you ate all your calories back? I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure how one can eat healthy and eat 3600 calories in one day. 2 Big Mac's for lunch - sure....but if you're watching your diet you shouldn't go over 2000 - 2400 per day.

So I say stay around 2000 per day - eat healthy calories and you'll lose the right way and you'll be able to maintain once you reach your goal.

i work in a small supermarket style shop filling shelves (im constantly walking up and down and dont stop until shift is over but mfp states that im burning that much! could their settings be on the high side??

ive only been dieting 3 weeks so im pretty new to mfp but id say walking at a slow pace is what im doing all day
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    [/quote

according to mfp i do!! im constantly walking and climbing at work but i just put tha walking as thats a constant

I'm confused....
    Are these 2000 calories "exercise" calories or "every day/routine" calories? Exercise calories are EXTRA calories burned by doing additional exersice outside of your normal day routine! So if these 2000 calories are based on your job and what you do every day - you need to change your settings to a more active routine. Then additional exercise calories can be figured in if/when you do additional workouts (aerobics, running, weight training, etc).
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    you should probably change your activity level to a higher level rather than counting these as exercise calories..?

yeah could try that thank you!! i wasnt working when i first started mfp i was a stay at home mum but started work about 2 weeks ago :happy:
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Sorry, but unless you are doing intense physical labor you are NOT burning 2000 kcal/ day at your job. Take another look at how you entered your information into MFP.

Perhaps you are confusing daily calorie expenditure with calories burned? Daily calorie expenditure is a measure of your metabolism, that is, what it takes for your body to function, ie breath, pump blood, etc. This is different from 'calories burned', which is what you burn during exercise.
  • milersad1323
    milersad1323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP seems to be on the very high side when it comes to calories burned. I bought a HRM a few months back because I could tell how off MFP was. My guess is you are burning half of what MFP is saying.

I agree that you should make sure your activity level is set correctly rather than counting these as excercise calories.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    thank you guys for all the help :flowerforyou:
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate calories burned.... err on the side of caution. I'd change your activity level. I walk around for anywhere between 4-7 hrs a day at work. I just set my daily activity higher and don't count it as extra exercise.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate calories burned.... err on the side of caution. I'd change your activity level. I walk around for anywhere between 4-7 hrs a day at work. I just set my daily activity higher and don't count it as extra exercise.

i know thats what id done wrong :blushing:

i think because i wasnt doing anything before i started work i thought of work as an exercise i feel suitably silly now :blushing:
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    dont rely on mpf to give you a proper calorie burn