Question/Running

Options
I recently started running. Well, I started a few months ago, got discouraged and stopped...but I started again a few weeks back. I'm using a C25K schedule to train and I'm about 4 weeks into it. I run every other day and my interval this week is: warm-up for 5 minutes, jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, jog for 4 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, repeat. A little background. I'm 53 years old, 193 pounds (33 pounds down from where I started) and I've never really done any cardio. I've had a pretty sedentary lifestyle up to this point.

Here's my question. I am finding that I get really out of breath on the longer intervals. I don't have any pain or dizziness. I don't feel like I'm wheezing, although I usually cough up a little "stuff' after a run. I just feel like I'm having a really difficult time learning to control my breathing. I decided this morning to stick with this week's interval for however many weeks it takes for me to be able to do it without gasping for air....but, is this pretty normal?

Thanks for any input you can give me

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You can repeat older workouts until you're ready to take on the longer intervals. I've slowed my C25k to a 13 week program because I really have that much trouble with running. And a lot of my running friends say that it's perfectly fine to take longer. You have to proceed at YOUR pace, not what some program tells you to!
  • ema727
    ema727 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25k program as well but I never finished. I run slow and was never able to build up to a 30 min 5k. A little over a year ago, I took a running class (well still do) and learned about the Galloway method and have used it ever since. He does run/walk intervals for the entire time you are running. The amount you run versus walk is really up to you. He runs 30 seconds and walks 30 seconds when he does his marathons. My group does 4 min run/1 min walk for short runs (4-5 miles) and 3/1 on long runs. This has allowed me to go from couch to full marathon in a little over a year. I too am overweight and don't find it nearly as demanding.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Coughing up stuff after running is pretty normal. Getting out of breath is mostly a function of how fast you are running. If you need to, slow down a little until your cardiovascular conditioning catches up. It will catch up pretty quickly as long as you remain consistent with the program.

Make sure you are breathing deeply and filling your entire lungs. If your chest expands when you breath you are only using the upper portion of your lungs and you will get out of breath faster. Breathe using the diaphram; your stomach should expand instead of the chest and air is pulled into the full volume of the lungs.

Also, try and time your breathing with your steps. Anything will work but 2 or 3 steps breath in and 2 or 3 steps breath out is pretty standard. If you are breathing in and out on every step then you are running much harder than needed to develop your aerobic system. Save the real hard running for later.
  • Vernswifevickie
    Vernswifevickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your input! I love the idea of continuing to do intervals at whatever ratio works. I am doing the Disneyland half marathon in September and i like the idea of just practicing an interval setting and working on distance. Thank you!
  • Vernswifevickie
    Vernswifevickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Scott...thank you for your advice. I am trying to concentrate on breathing in for 3 steps and out for 3 steps like you mentioned. I think maybe 53 years of being a couch potato is just going to take some time to overcome, huh? Thanks again.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Coughing up stuff after running is pretty normal. Getting out of breath is mostly a function of how fast you are running. If you need to, slow down a little until your cardiovascular conditioning catches up. It will catch up pretty quickly as long as you remain consistent with the program

He's right slowing down your pace will help a lot. Good Luck
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When I first figured out that all I had to do to run, what seemed like fovever, was to slow down, my God, what a joyous day that was, and I remember it like it was yesterday.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with breathing. I needed this thread. Thanks.
  • fittraier
    Options
    the goal of intervals is to fell slightly breathless, and uncomfortable. If you are really uncomfortable and can't hold it then slow it down, or back the time off.
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the question ~~ and Thanks for all the great responses!! I am working in my house on my bike and elliptical and my goal is to get outside the end of March and start running. I choose the end of March for a couple of reasons, but one big one is that I am in Alberta Canada, and hoping by then it won't be so cold and I won't have to worry about slipping on ice while I am learning to run again.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I get breathless from time to time, too, but I live in a place with horrendous pollen and mold counts. So, there's that! I have found that increasing my pace and mileage gradually over the last few months, VERY gradually, has made a huge difference in my cardiovascular endurance. I'm able to go a lot faster a lot farther now without panting! I credit HIIT (high intensity interval training). At least once a week, I do a HIIT run. Feel free to message me or friend me if you want to chat more about that. And good luck training for your Half! :-D