Back to try this thing again.

Options
Hello fellow MFP family. I have not been on for quite sometime and I am struggling to get this weight off and thought maybe if I started tracking again I might just pin point the problem. I am walking every morning. I get up at 4:30 am and head out with a friend to walk 3 miles. I do this at least 4-5 days a week. I have been walking for at least 2 months and nothing. Not one lb or inch in all this time. I do have a weakness for ice cream. Yet I don't eat it every day and I try to be carefulI how much I eat. Yes, have tried all the fat free and sugar free and it is gross. I have gone back to school and seem to sit at the computer alot and I have a job that is pretty low key. I seen a picture of myself yesterday at a friends wedding and I teared up. What am I doing wrong? So I figured if I watch my intake and get some ideas from you guys, I might just make some head way. I quit smoking almost 4 years ago and I have battled ever since with my weight. Thanks for listening.

Not giving up,
Tracy

Replies

• weasleman42
    Options
    Welcome back! When you start tracking you food again, my guess is that you will discover that you may have been eating too much. Best of luck and don't ever give up!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Time to step up your walking to the next level, try wogging, jog and walk in equal intervals(ie. jog 1 min, walk 1 min) increase interval time each week. Your body gets used to the same exercise, especially if you are not getting your heart rate up enough.
  • victoryismine
    Options
    Thanks for the advise and encouraging words! I will make I just know that I will.
  • startingnew09
    Options
    Wow, what a struggle you have. I am overweight as well, even though all my friends tell me I'm not. I was recently in a wedding myself, and saw the pictures. Isn't it amazing how different you look in the mirror and in pictures? And your not the only one with a weakness for ice cream! Even though I don't, I could eat it everyday, even during the winter...:wink: Anyway, keep up the walking. I too jogged and walked with a friend 3-4 days a week. Even though I didn't lose any weight (and neither did she by the way) we both noticed we had more stamina, and felt better overall. Where we would get winded walking up the stairs, now we barely notice it. Keep up the good work!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you that when I first started tracking my food and exercise, I wasn't even trying to lose weight. I was just trying to take stock of my life and get a handle on my food issues.

But, as soon as I started tracking, I saw obvious areas of improvement. The first being -- drink more water! The second -- too many high calorie snacks (my meals were healthy, but my snacks...) I would improve one thing and move on to the next.

Another thing is that exercise often doesn't result in weight loss -- people tend to eat enough to make up for the exercise -- BUT it results in so many other good things. When I started swimming and running, it's like the exercise *sculpted* my body in a way that dieting with minimal exercise never did. I weigh more than I did in HS, for example, but my body is smaller and less flabby/puffy. Which, given I'm in my 50s and have loose skin from years of being obese, is kind of a miracle! :laugh:
  • Nikki2Fit
    Nikki2Fit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Stay strong you'll get there!
  • victoryismine
    Options
    I can say I do drink a lot of water. at least a half gal a day. I do believe you are right on about the snacks. I do eat fairly healthy for my meals, but I do like sweets. My boss has a huge candy dish full of Dove chocolates all the time. I am only going in there when I have too. I am trying the low-glycemic food choices. I have noticed a problem with low blood sugar here lately. They say that can cause you to not lose weight.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    welcome back, you can do this!!! :flowerforyou: