Please help!

Options
I am a registered nurse and I started using this site on January 5th. I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet...exercising 20 minutes every morning on the treadmill. Doing the couch to 5 k program for treadmills. I'm up to running for 4 minutes then walking for 2 minutes. Anyway, I've lost 8 pounds so far, but the past two weeks have only been ounces. My water intake only averages about 3 cups per day....so I know that I need to improve on that. I drink either water or diet soda (1 per day) with my meals. My starting weight was 166.4 , i'm 5'6 and 47 years old. I'm generally healthy, no thyroid problems but my physician said that I need to lose about 20 pounds to bring down my blood sugar leval and chlosterol. My question is....why is my weight at a stand still? I'm exercising and staying within my calorie limit. Just very discouraged. Please help!!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You should be on higher than 1200 calories a day at 5"6 and 20 lbs to lose. 2lbs a week weightloss is too high a goal with that little weight to lose.
    You may also want to consider opening your diary for people to give feedback.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Your BMR is around 1466 alone, that is what your body burns to survive, not including any daily activity or exercise. You should not eat below your BMR.
  • lcotton
    Options
    When I entered my height, weight this is the daily calorie intake I was given. How do you come up with your ideal calorie intake to lose weight?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You should be on higher than 1200 calories a day at 5"6 and 20 lbs to lose. 2lbs a week weightloss is too high a goal with that little weight to lose.
    You may also want to consider opening your diary for people to give feedback.

I agree with this. It is also important to realize that some times we are still losing body fat, even if the scale does not reflect it. Along with raising your daily calories, you may want to consider a spike day (a day where you eat 500 more calories) every 10 days or so. I know it sounds silly that we must eat more to lose weight, but it does work.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    When I entered my height, weight this is the daily calorie intake I was given. How do you come up with your ideal calorie intake to lose weight?
    Did you select 2 lbs a week as a weightloss goal?

I used this site.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Lesasass also made a good point, the scale isnt the best indicator of success. You can still lose fat and not lose scale weight.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Change your weight loss goal to 0.5 or 1lb per week and MFP should give you more daily calories to eat, and eat back some exercise calories as well.
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should eat a little more. After your 20 minute excersise you should eat something with protein within 2hours. My doctor said he saw something about drinking 8oz (one serving) of chocolate milk. I did the research and he was right, plus it's a nice reward after a hard workout. This assists with building muscle which in turn burns calories. Or you can eat some meat or drink a protein drink, gag.
  • Thelala
    Thelala Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did you measure? You might lose inches when not losing pounds.
  • Thelala
    Thelala Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    u r funnee.
  • lcotton
    Options
    Thanks everyone!