HELP! (one of those threads)

Options
I've been working on my weight loss since last April. I lost 50 lbs., then plateaued. A few weeks ago, I raised my calories from 1200 to 1600, then began consuming more protein. I lost 3 more lbs.

I slowly gained 3 back, after changing nothing. So, I lowered my calories to 1400. Since then, I've added in Couch to 5k, also.

I'm stuck at 50 lbs. again. I eat my exercise calories back. My diary is public. I'm right at or just under my goal nearly every day, and I NEVER go over in a "big" way.

HELP!

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a spike day??
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Have you tried doing a spike day??

Yes. Worked for a while, then just made me gain.
  • Urbanlamb
    Options
    Try circuit training maybe? Shake up things for your body and keep it guessing? Seems like your body is nice and comfly where it's at and you need to 'surprise' it.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Try circuit training maybe? Shake up things for your body and keep it guessing? Seems like your body is nice and comfly where it's at and you need to 'surprise' it.

Ok. I do an hour of zumba 3 times a week, and C25K 3 times a week. Maybe I should add circuit.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    This conversation is happening on my wall, if it will help provide any insight.

[user1] me too lady. You know 3 is not a big deal, could be salt, ect. Try being consistent with your calorie goal for the next couple of weeks, i'm sure you'll see the lbs come off :D

[user1] maybe focus on fruits/veg and less junk food, i find this helps me sometimes too during a gain :D

kbsmom I'm under every day nearly!

kbsmom I'm eating cheese, oatmeal, apples, protein powder, meat, etc. every day.

[user2] looking at your diary for the past few days, you were consistantly over on sugar and fat....... could that be the issue? It would be for me with my insulin resistance.

kbsmom Idk how to do less sugar. But look at my fat! With the exception of dinner, I'm no more than 2 or 3 g per each thing I eat. How do I change that???

[user3] Have you tried lowering your carbs? Sometimes I do two low carb days (under 100) and then do 1 high carb day ( around 150-175) and repeat for a few weeks. That might help. Worth a try. When you do your cardio, the workout I was doing said the best way to utilize your time is jog/run for 30 sec, jump to the sides and rest 30 sec, repeat. . for 20-30 mins. Its a good workout. you could try that as well.

kbsmom When I tried low carb, I had no energy to work out. :(

kbsmom I'm doing C25K. Same idea as that...

kbsmom I will gladly lower sugar/fat if someone can look at my diary and suggest ways for me to, because I have reached the point now that I want to give up.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    All I can think to do is try zig zagging your calories. I see people on here that do that to shake things up, but I haven't done it myself.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just took a quick glance at your diary and you're eating a lot of processed foods and not much 'real' food.

Try substituting 3-4 servings of natural protien (ie, single ingredient foods like fish, chicken, meat) and 3-4 servings of vegetable (cooked or raw) in place of some of the processed foods you've been eating. It's not just the total calories that count, but what we're feeding our bodies.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My thoughts - try to have a 350 calorie breakfast that's higher in protein. Cut out the cookies - add a pack of almonds (same calories, more fiber and nutrition) . Stick to whole foods for 2 weeks, and see if it makes a difference. Aim for 40g of protein at each main meal, and a little protein for each snack. You are WAY under on protein, and if that's MFP's default, it's a little low to begin with.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Swap some of the "goodies" for fruit and veggies, eat more natural protein, and lower the milk to 1% or skim. Save the "fun" stuff for one a week. Look at it like the food has to fuel you, and some of the stuff you are putting in is watered down regular octane gas, but if you tweak a few things, it would be high octane and make your engine run more smoothly and you will get better gas milage. You do really well on the # of calories, but I worry about the content of them more.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Produce - take a trip to the grocery store and by some fruits and veggies. As others mentioned replacing the processed food with real food might help.

And yes- I'm gonna say it. Try to cut down on the cheese.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    You are WAY under on protein, and if that's MFP's default, it's a little low to begin with.

It's not. I raised it, and I'm typically a lot higher than today.
  • Urbanlamb
    Options
    Oh heaven's to Betsy...I just took a peek at the diary too. Honey, load up on the protein and 'clean' carbs, and are you doing any weights at all? I see it's mostly cardio.
    Get some muscle girl, it's the muscle that burns your calories and the raises your metabolism...you'll be a mean lean calorie consuming machine if you get more lean muscle mass on you.
    Good luck!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I just took a quick glance at your diary and you're eating a lot of processed foods and not much 'real' food.

Try substituting 3-4 servings of natural protien (ie, single ingredient foods like fish, chicken, meat) and 3-4 servings of vegetable (cooked or raw) in place of some of the processed foods you've been eating. It's not just the total calories that count, but what we're feeding our bodies.

How exactly does one do this if they are stuck in one room all day? I really want to be able to do this. However, I teach, and I basically don't leave the same room for 9 hours. (that includes to pee-- I really need a catheter :laugh:) I can't just run out and cook some meat, or even warm up something I cooked the night before. If anyone can suggest a solution to help me have access to real foods instead of processed, I'd love to hear it.

ETA: I need on the go type foods, that I can just grab and eat. Usually that's processed food. If you can give me some ideas, please do.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Oh heaven's to Betsy...I just took a peek at the diary too. Honey, load up on the protein and 'clean' carbs, and are you doing any weights at all? I see it's mostly cardio.
    Get some muscle girl, it's the muscle that burns your calories and the raises your metabolism...you'll be a mean lean calorie consuming machine if you get more lean muscle mass on you.
    Good luck!

I do some weights-- but I don't log it. MFP doesn't figure it into my calories, so I didn't see the need.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Swap some of the "goodies" for fruit and veggies, eat more natural protein, and lower the milk to 1% or skim. Save the "fun" stuff for one a week. Look at it like the food has to fuel you, and some of the stuff you are putting in is watered down regular octane gas, but if you tweak a few things, it would be high octane and make your engine run more smoothly and you will get better gas milage. You do really well on the # of calories, but I worry about the content of them more.

You're right! I've always been told (and constantly read it on the forums here) that it doesn't matter what you're eating as long as you're in a calorie deficit. But obviously, it matters. In a calorie deficit and gaining.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    chicken (or salmon) salad pitas (whole wheat) i mix salmon (from a pouch, I dont have the time or skill to catch my own) with olive oil mayo, chopped onion, dijon mustard, olives and celery, line the pita with lettuce and tomato, put the goo in it and Im done. I have a lunchbox that i keep it in (wrapped in a papertowel and tinfoil) and an ice pack. it is 164 cal, 3.8 g. fat, 10.9 carbs and 25.6 g of protein. That with a greek yogurt and an apple, and it is a great lunch. I also make salads to bring.

Edit: nutrition info is for 1 half a pita.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Good luck!

I do some weights-- but I don't log it. MFP doesn't figure it into my calories, so I didn't see the need.

If you go under cardio, there is one for strenght training and if you do a circuit there is one for circuit training as well. So you actually can log your weight sessions. I would suggest curcuits. I love them! I am currenlty doing on right now.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    chicken (or salmon) salad pitas (whole wheat) i mix salmon (from a pouch, I dont have the time or skill to catch my own) with olive oil mayo, chopped onion, dijon mustard, olives and celery, line the pita with lettuce and tomato, put the goo in it and Im done. I have a lunchbox that i keep it in (wrapped in a papertowel and tinfoil) and an ice pack. it is 164 cal, 3.8 g. fat, 10.9 carbs and 25.6 g of protein. That with a greek yogurt and an apple, and it is a great lunch. I also make salads to bring.

Edit: nutrition info is for 1 half a pita.

yummy! what kind of pitas do you use?
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Good luck!

If you go under cardio, there is one for strenght training and if you do a circuit there is one for circuit training as well. So you actually can log your weight sessions. I would suggest curcuits. I love them! I am currenlty doing on right now.

Thanks!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Just going back a few days - your fat intake is always over....way over! Also how much water do you take in? You should be getting at least 8-10 glasses a day if not more. Less processed foods, more natural - less carbs, more protien (turkey peperoni is good on the go, grilled chicken cut into bite size pieces is also a great snack. Try greek yogurt)

Also, IA w/ prior posters.... start added weights. The weight will drop. But you have to stay consistent.