Lunch breaks in work

Hey, I never really posted on this before but I really need help with this question...

I work 9 hours in a day and I have only one hour break and one 15 minute break. I have no time to eat on my 15 minute break from work so I usually have to get a good filling meal on my hour break from work.. the problem is I work in a place full of food and a centre full of fast food takeaways. I've been getting wholemeal rolls with chicken tikka and sweet chilli sauce but im very sure there extremely fattening?

I was wondering did anyone have any ideas on what I could get thats filling and quick and easy to buy from a shop? I dont like salads and stuff so this is gonna be a hard one. Any help would be greeaaaatly appreciated :) Thanks x

Replies

• Why not bring something to work with you?
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    I also work a full day, I do 7-5 in a hospital. I get 2 x 20 minute breaks and 1x 60 minute break. I tend to take in a carton of soup and a roll and have half of that for lunch.

Do you have a tea room/staff kitchen where you can heat things up?
  • Nadcookie
    Nadcookie Posts: 5 Member
    Now ive started taking in sandwiches for lunch but the problem with that is I like to have two whole meal sandwiches for breakfast before my long days so I dont really want to bring them in but theres not enough time to make something very healthy in the morning. The facilities in my canteen are limited and usually arent working... or your food gets taken by someone else somehow. I think were getting a new microwave soon though? Any suggestions for that? lol
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Bring lunch silly!!! :tongue: I eat 4 of my 5 meals a day at work. Yes it takes extra planning and work but it is so much easier to resist temptation and worry about eating things I shouldn't!!!
  • hope516
    Now ive started taking in sandwiches for lunch but the problem with that is I like to have two whole meal sandwiches for breakfast before my long days so I dont really want to bring them in but theres not enough time to make something very healthy in the morning. The facilities in my canteen are limited and usually arent working... or your food gets taken by someone else somehow. I think were getting a new microwave soon though? Any suggestions for that? lol

Make your meals sunday and freeze!!! have 5 ready meals!!!
  • jjohnboy2000
    jjohnboy2000 Posts: 67 Member
    I make a big bowl of salad at the begining of the week. Then each day I take some out and add, fish, meat or cheese.
  • phinners

This is a great idea

My husband does this on a Sunday - he mass cooks 5 different meals, and freezes them,. No drama when we all get home at night.
  • hope516

This is a great idea

My husband does this on a Sunday - he mass cooks 5 different meals, and freezes them,. No drama when we all get home at night.

And it doesn't neccessarily have to be 5 diff meals! If you make a pot of chili, lasagna, and a chicken casserole you can break that up into at least 10 meals, that way you have a piping hot meal for lunch and dinner every single day!!!
  • phinners
    Ah bimey! Would they take stuff if it were in a lunch box with your name on it?

Do you have a locker to keep stuff in? Such as cans of soup/other stuff, tin-opener and a bowl. Just use the microwave then. The girls in my lab love my locker - it's got everything you could ever need it it hha - magazines, food, tampons, 3 hats (??) lol.

Do you prep your lunch the night before or in the mornings? I have had to get into the habit of doing it the night before. I drag a 1 yr old 25 miles to work at 630am in the mornings to work, drop him at nursery before I go in. I cant be bothered to prep food then.
  • phinners

This is a great idea

And it doesn't neccessarily have to be 5 diff meals! If you make a pot of chili, lasagna, and a chicken casserole you can break that up into at least 10 meals, that way you have a piping hot meal for lunch and dinner every single day!!!
    Yeah absolutely.

He tends to get a massive piece of beef, cut it down and make stews, or a roast or a pie etc with it. same with minced meat - he'll do spag bol, chilli con carne, etc etc and a suet pudding meat pie. OMG!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    i take different homemade soups with me.. keeps me full and its easy.. just warm it up and dont :)

most of them aren't much more then 200 cals and they are super easy to make (plus you make them in bulk, freeze the extra portions so you have variety)

There are so many good soup recipies as well.. just search for some online and start making :)
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    I also make a big batch of something on Sunday, normally soup, or a pasta or rice dish with loads of veggies, that can be heated up, I don't even worry about freezing it, as long as it's in the fridge it keeps all week.
  • If you really WANT to, you will find a way. Excuses won't work with losing weight and being healthy. Not trying to be mean or rude, but I went through this same thing. I now bring my leftovers for lunch everyday (in my lunchbox that nobody touches) and my healthy snacks, that I eat while sitting at my desk. I have also prepared food the night before (if there are no leftovers). Gotta do what ya gotta do! I would do anything you can do to stay away from all that fattening food!!
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • I love the idea of freezing meals! I work 9-6 (or 8-6 during overtime weeks). I always bring my lunch even through I can go out for an hour.

Make a giant salad for lunch - fill it with peppers, carrots, chicken breast. Its way more filling than you think and even stay under 250 calories. I also make greek yogurt parfaits (fat free yogurt, strawberries/blackberries/blueberries, flax seeds, & special k cereal). Oatmeal with fresh fruit is also extremely filling and easy to make if you use packets.

Through out the day I carry Luna bars, other protein bars, carrots, apple slices, and almonds as my snacks to munch on during the day - it will keep you full and its better to eat every 4 hours or so!

Feel free to check out my diary for ideas or message me.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member

I have been eating a lot of canned soup. I know haters out there will whine because it's canned and has preservatives, blahblahblah. But I buy low-sodium (sodium is a killer in canned soups) varieties and eat the whole can as my lunch-- it's very filling! And also low-calorie, so if I was really starving one day I could eat 2 and it would still only be around 500 cals. I tend to be hungrier in the evenings, so soup has been a lifesaver for me-- fills me up but leaves the bulk of my calories for when I'm ravenous.
  • bhaas1972
    bhaas1972 Posts: 6 Member
    Planning ahead is the way to go. Some great websites to get ideas that I use are Hungry Girl and just came across a new one Skinny Taste.

Good luck!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    If you're looking to exert minimal effort... another thing I do a LOT because it's SO freakin easy is throw some chicken breasts in the slow cooker with nothing but a jar of salsa while I'm at work. When I come home it's juicy, flavourful, already-shredded chicken that I use for anything and everything (tacos, burritos, soup, nachos, sandwiches, salads..). I portion it out for lunches and throw it on top of a big pile of arugula or spinach, or in a tortilla with my condiments/veggies of choice. 3 chicken breasts will typically last me 4 lunches and sometimes a dinner, depending on how big they were.
  • Nadcookie
    Nadcookie Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for everyones help :) I'm pretty sure I know what i'll be bringing to long days in college and work now :) Pity my ability to cook is limited but soups and chicken cant be that hard :P :)