HELP! (one of those threads)

Options

Replies

• angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    There are actually alot of diffrent option you can do, greek yogurt, almonds, apples w/ peanut butter is my sweet snack. They actually have 100 calorie packs you can buy with precut apples. Celery with peanut butter, raw veggies. Sometimes I take strawberries and dip them in dark chocolate ( dark chocolate chips, melted with small amount of coconut oil in microwave) and put them in the fridge. same with banannas.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    This is a good recipe for breakfast on the go. I make a bunch up on the weekends and then throw them in the freezer. I grab one the night before, put it in the fridge and them throw it in the microwave for 30 secs. If you want you can top it with banannas strawberries.

Protein Pancakes

• cup oatmeal , ground
    • ½ teaspoon baking soda
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoons Splenda granular
    • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
    • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I like to use IDS Vanilla Cinnamon)
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
    • 1⁄3; cup fat-free half-and-half
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 56.8
    Total Fat 2.0 g
    Sodium 157.5 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
    Sugars 0.9 g
    Protein 4.3 g
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    The aarons best whole wheat pitas are the tastiest I have found. I really like them. I get tired of sandwiches all the time. I also do a avocado tuna pita. A packet of tuna, 1/2 an avocado, chopped tomato, chopped onion, cut up cucumber, lime juice...... mix it up and shove it in a pita. There are some leftovers I can eat at room temperature too, and when I have those, I eat them. I am generally bad about eating lunch at all, but I eat like this when I do...... And I have even done the pitas with a soup on the side for dinner. I try to stay away from crackers, cookies, white pasta (I substitue diced eggplant and various squashes for pasta), rice (brown or cauliflower rice), white breads, etc.
  • Urbanlamb
    Options
    I workout in the evenings (at least I do when I remember to bring my flippin' sneakers). I like to make lunch my supper and vicey versa, since I'll eat late (8pm) after my workout.
    Invest in a really good lunch box with icepacks that will last the day. Pre-prepare meals by cooking lotsa chicken/fish and a pot of brown rice or quinoa. Portion out meals in tupperware containers with a healthy portion of frozen veggies.
    You may have to get used to eating these lunches cold...I know I do that when I haven't the time to go to the cafeteria here at work to nuke it.

Pita sandwiches rock too! Whole wheat pita with a healthy portion of veggies and meat.

Then there's the yogourt/chpopped fruit and nut thing.

*drool*

getting hungry over here, it's almost lunchtime.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you're ok with the hamburger being cold you can do a taco salad which is really easy to make (especially if you pay the extra for the pre chopped veggies) and can be very healthy. Fat free sour cream and regular salsa are pretty low in calories and I always pack on the veggies.

If I had to pick one thing that helped me stay on track with my diet, it'd be plain non-fat greek yogurt. It's low cal, I find it VERY filling, and it's delicious if you add the right stuff to it. I've had success with pineapple, splenda, blueberries, strawberries, mango, lychee, and protein powder (individually, I don't have time to mix and match a bunch of stuff in the morning). I'm a very big guy, and a 32 oz container with 3 packets of splenda at 730AM keeps me full until 5PM for less than 500 calories.

Veggies and sour cream. Not a proper meal but maybe you could use it to hold you over until school let out?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Have you tried not eating your exercise calories back? What happens when you don't?

I tried eating my exercise calories, and the scale is just going up up up up up. It just doesn't work for me. (I've also had some very high days-but it's not a daily routine).
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    Wow! That sounds great!
    The aarons best whole wheat pitas are the tastiest I have found. I really like them. I get tired of sandwiches all the time. I also do a avocado tuna pita. A packet of tuna, 1/2 an avocado, chopped tomato, chopped onion, cut up cucumber, lime juice...... mix it up and shove it in a pita. There are some leftovers I can eat at room temperature too, and when I have those, I eat them. I am generally bad about eating lunch at all, but I eat like this when I do...... And I have even done the pitas with a soup on the side for dinner. I try to stay away from crackers, cookies, white pasta (I substitue diced eggplant and various squashes for pasta), rice (brown or cauliflower rice), white breads, etc.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Grab and Eat ideas from the produce section:

Apple
    Banana
    Citrus fruits (already cut up and bagged)
    Berries
    Cucumber slices
    Bell Peppers
    Peanut Butter and celery
    Carrots
    broccoli florets
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try circuit training maybe? Shake up things for your body and keep it guessing? Seems like your body is nice and comfly where it's at and you need to 'surprise' it.

Ok. I do an hour of zumba 3 times a week, and C25K 3 times a week. Maybe I should add circuit.

Add strength training if you don't perform it already.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    What about some snack tuna packs for snacks. I like Bumble Bee Fat Free tuna pack with 6 whole wheat crackers. String cheese? Individual serving of cottage cheese? yogurt? These are items that could be eatened quickly between change in classes.. I'd hope.

Muscle milk protein shakes? Muscle milk H20 <-- I love those! Some ways to get some protein, not "natural" thought like others are suggesting.

Workout to love it.. not because you have to. Count your calories because it should be a part of life.. not a weighloss plan. If you do that, then you won't give up :) It's just part of a good life :)
    Don't give up :) it's life.. keep going...
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have quick recipes to help you out buddy - everything I'm about to list takes little time to prepare, can be put in a tupperware to take to work with you okzzz

1 - hummus and whole wheat pita
    2 - baba ghanouj and whole wheat pita
    3 - fruit salad chopped up small ( i usually use straberries, pineapple, kiwi and apple) / fat free cottage cheese on the side, you can mix when you are ready to eat.
    4 - lemon and baby carrot snack with cumin, salt and a little spice if you like it. Sometimes this is all I have for dinner, filling and healthy.
    5 - tuna salad made with finely chopped up tomatoes and celery - do not use mayo, use lemon juice, olive oil and season to taste. Pack some romaine lettuce leaves on the side, don't chop them up. You can make lettuce, tuna salad wrap ( make sense?)
    6 - hard boiled eggs / peeled and boiled potatoes - cut these up in squares. I usually add these to a salad, or put in a pita. For sauce I mince galic, lemon juice, olive oil and mix.. these can be put in separate containers until ready to mix.. delish.
    7 - grilled and chopped up chicken mixed with prepared salad / and use with your favorite dressing
    8 - Kefir cheese and pita - healthy and the kefir is 60 cals per tablespoon.

That's all I can think of for now, but you do not have to heat up one thing out of all of these. You can pack in a little cooler and eat your desk, mess free, YEAY!!

hope this helped:)
  • emaxtastic
    emaxtastic Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies and fruits instead of processed food deflate the argument that you don't have time to go heat things up. Broccoli broccoli broccoli. There are lots of fun little strength training exercises you can do AT your desk as well. Google it! When I added in strength training it changed everything. Also, if your schedule allows, DO PILATES. It's another great addition which helps me a lot.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Canned Chicken, Tuna, Turkey and Shrimp.

I add sugar free relish and onions with some apple cidar vinegar you can make litle custom salads. Maybe use low cal mayo or something. I get a lot of protien that way and I also bring cut veggies to work, red bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes...good snack stuff.

I just took a quick glance at your diary and you're eating a lot of processed foods and not much 'real' food.

Try substituting 3-4 servings of natural protien (ie, single ingredient foods like fish, chicken, meat) and 3-4 servings of vegetable (cooked or raw) in place of some of the processed foods you've been eating. It's not just the total calories that count, but what we're feeding our bodies.

How exactly does one do this if they are stuck in one room all day? I really want to be able to do this. However, I teach, and I basically don't leave the same room for 9 hours. (that includes to pee-- I really need a catheter :laugh:) I can't just run out and cook some meat, or even warm up something I cooked the night before. If anyone can suggest a solution to help me have access to real foods instead of processed, I'd love to hear it.

ETA: I need on the go type foods, that I can just grab and eat. Usually that's processed food. If you can give me some ideas, please do.
  • mlightvt
    Options
    Agree with the others who said eat more REAL foods. I know I feel like garbage if I eat like that.

Eating real and fresh, whole foods takes a bit more preparation but most assuredly can be done on a busy schedule, with just a bit of pre-planning.

I eat a delicious homemade chef salad for lunch every day - on Sundays, I boil eggs for the week, and wash lettuce (do twice a week actually), slice up cheese and so forth. So in the morning I just have to throw the ingredients together in a dish and grab a fork and I am good to go.

My daily lunch is usually comprised of:
    2 cups romaine lettuce
    2 oz sliced all natural turkey lunch meat, cut up
    1 serving of Cabot reduced fat cheddar, cut up
    1 hard boiled egg, sliced
    6-8 baby carrots

and sometimes, hot banana pepper rings on the side. no dressing - after mixing the lettuce in with the meat, egg, cheese, there's really no need - it's delicious as-is.

This lunch totals less than 300 calories per serving. Followed by an apple and a piece of citrus as "dessert" later on in the afternoon which adds another 115 or so calories. A pear is a good snack, packed with fiber. Depending on how hard I work out on a given day I may also add a 90-calorie light yogurt. Often I will snack on raw carrot sticks and/or celery with a 2T serving of roasted red pepper hummus. My two "processed" snack standbys are 95% reduced fat microwave popcorn which is very low cal and canned V8 juice. But I rarely use those as replacements for good, whole food - just supplements once in a while.

ALWAYS have a fresh veggie with dinner - either fresh produce or frozen, never canned. Always aim for a high protein and fiber main serving with dinner - venison chili, baked cod, baked chicken are staples for us now. Eliminate "empty" calories such as processed carbs and you will see success.

I allow myself 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt at night, 110 calories per serving, as my "cheat" - but I reserve those calories aside in my daily allowance to do so.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I recommend investing in a good lunch bag or small lunch cooler and these foods may really help you get through your day.

Segmenting out raw veggies into ziptop baggies. (baby carrots, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, etc)
    Hummus, guacamole, and vegetarian bean dips are great dippers for you veggies rather than high fat nurtient low dressings.

Raw nuts (almonds are great raw) If you buy them in the shell where you have to crack them yourself, then you are more likely to eat fewer. Remember nuts are high in calories but very nutrient dense.

Packing a sandwich made with pita bread or those Flat Out wraps (they taste great are huge and only 100 cals) stick to low cal proteins for your sandwich like roasted turkey and chicken. But get the good stuff at the deli there tend to be fewer additives and chemical garbage in them.

Raw fruit is always a quick and easy choice.

A good quality yogurt can be really satisfying. Fage 0% is one of my fave brands the flavored individual containers run anywhere from 100-130 cals they taste really great.

Pickles can really help curb a sweets craving, my faves are the Claussen pickles they cost a bit more but are well worth it.

For a protein kick that also satifies a sweets craving try "Ants on a log" you know celery, peanut butter, and raisins. or even dried cranberries with almond butter. It's great!

V8 drinks can really stave off hunger, just keep and eye on your sodium consumption

Be sure you're drinking plenty of water

Hope these ideas help past your stagnation.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The one thing that stuck out to me was that you are eating a lot of dairy and hardly any vegetables. I would suggest eating more veggies and cutting back on the dairy (lower calories and fat). Not an expert, but those are just my two cents :bigsmile:
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions! I will work on trying to eat more "real" food. These are all wonderful ideas.
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For startrs I see Dunkin Donuts and Girl Scout cookies on your list, I applaud you for claiming these calories but are these the best way to help w/ your weight loss? I don't see any veggies, proteins or legumes (beans) on your food diary. You asked for our thoughts, here is mine.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Swap some of the "goodies" for fruit and veggies, eat more natural protein, and lower the milk to 1% or skim. Save the "fun" stuff for one a week. Look at it like the food has to fuel you, and some of the stuff you are putting in is watered down regular octane gas, but if you tweak a few things, it would be high octane and make your engine run more smoothly and you will get better gas milage. You do really well on the # of calories, but I worry about the content of them more.

This. I'm a sweets gal myself, so I really have to work for my treats.
    I've been a bit nuts this week with it, but focus on fresh/non processed fruits, veggies, and nuts. The fat in nuts is good fat (partially) instead of the bad fats you tend to find in the processed foods.

Subbing your milk for non-fat, finding higher fiber foods, things like this will get you going with your excercise and help prevent the plateu.

Krogers chain stores sell prepacked fresh veggies that are a quick "grab and go" option and right now is an AWESOME time to get fresh fruits.

I'm not perfect by any means, but if you'd like to take a peak at my diary, feel free to add me :)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I recommend investing in a good lunch bag or small lunch cooler and these foods may really help you get through your day.

Segmenting out raw veggies into ziptop baggies. (baby carrots, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, etc)
    Hummus, guacamole, and vegetarian bean dips are great dippers for you veggies rather than high fat nurtient low dressings.

Raw nuts (almonds are great raw) If you buy them in the shell where you have to crack them yourself, then you are more likely to eat fewer. Remember nuts are high in calories but very nutrient dense.

Packing a sandwich made with pita bread or those Flat Out wraps (they taste great are huge and only 100 cals) stick to low cal proteins for your sandwich like roasted turkey and chicken. But get the good stuff at the deli there tend to be fewer additives and chemical garbage in them.

Raw fruit is always a quick and easy choice.

A good quality yogurt can be really satisfying. Fage 0% is one of my fave brands the flavored individual containers run anywhere from 100-130 cals they taste really great.

Pickles can really help curb a sweets craving, my faves are the Claussen pickles they cost a bit more but are well worth it.

For a protein kick that also satifies a sweets craving try "Ants on a log" you know celery, peanut butter, and raisins. or even dried cranberries with almond butter. It's great!

V8 drinks can really stave off hunger, just keep and eye on your sodium consumption

Be sure you're drinking plenty of water

Hope these ideas help past your stagnation.

Stealing some of these ideas....thanks!!