Husband + VDay Cookies = WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!

Options
I love my husband dearly and am always very appreciative of his gifts. He knows me very well and never disappoints. Yesterday, he gifted me a Ryobi Tek4 Screwdriver/Drill set. That may sound like a weird gift, but I've been wanting one for awhile now! (Since I've started gardening and working outside, I'm constantly stealing his!) He also gifted me a huge tin of Mrs. Fields Nibblers (cookies).

Now don't get me wrong... yesterday was a scheduled cheat day. I've had it on the calendar for weeks and have been looking forward to it. And I love my sweets, especially cookies! And Mrs. Fields' cookies are DELICIOUS! But what was he thinking getting a tin with so many?!? How in the world was I supposed to eat 112 cookies in one day?!? I mean, I would have been perfectly happy with a (much cheaper) tin of 12!

I guess I'm just baffled because I thought he knew how serious and committed I am to losing this weight. And I KNOW he knows I have little will power and constantly struggle with self-control. Now I have about ninety (approximately) 60 calorie cookies sitting at home. And I am so thoroughly disgusted with yesterday's cheat day (it was my first and most likely last)... the last thing I want to do is look at cookies!

This morning my husband told me I should be able to freeze them for up to three months. This makes me feel a little better, because I hated the thought of all those cookies (and money) going to waste. The plan is to portion them out into snack bags and throw them in the freezer. This way, they are out of sight and hopefully out of mind. And I can treat myself to no more than a serving a day! At least... that's the plan!

***And for the record, I'm pretty certain this post came across the wrong way! I was very grateful for the cookies! He hates holidays and and spending money on frivolous things, so I know it took a lot for him to do something like that. And I loved the cookies, I really did! And of course I thanked him and told him I loved them. It's not like a was a b*tch about it or anything. I was just honestly confused with why he would choose to buy so many of something I've been trying so very hard to avoid. That's all.***

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I love my husband dearly and am always very appreciative of his gifts. He knows me very well and never disappoints. Yesterday, he gifted me a Ryobi Tek4 Screwdriver/Drill set. That may sound like a weird gift, but I've been wanting one for awhile now! (Since I've started gardening and working outside, I'm constantly stealing his!) He also gifted me a huge tin of Mrs. Fields Nibblers (cookies).

Now don't get me wrong... yesterday was a scheduled cheat day. I've had it on the calendar for weeks and have been looking forward to it. And I love my sweets, especially cookies! And Mrs. Fields' cookies are DELICIOUS! But what was he thinking getting a tin with so many?!? How in the world was I supposed to eat 112 cookies in one day?!? I mean, I would have been perfectly happy with a (much cheaper) tin of 12! *sigh*

I guess I'm just baffled because I thought he knew how serious and committed I am to losing this weigh. And I KNOW he knows I have little will power and constantly struggle with self-control. Now I have about ninety (approximately) 60 calorie cookies sitting at home. And I am so thoroughly disgusted with yesterday's cheat day (it was my first and most likely last)... the last thing I want to do is look at cookies!

This morning my husband told me I should be able to freeze them for up to three months. This makes me feel a little better, because I hated the thought of all those cookies (and money) going to waste. The plan is to portion them out into snack bags and throw them in the freezer. This way, they are out of sight and hopefully out of mind. And I can treat myself to no more than a serving a day!
    I am going to be blunt.

Live life. Your husband did something good. You will have plenty of other days to be a calorie deficit.

Oh and there is no such thing as a cheat day. I don't consider living life a cheat. You shouldn't either.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on your husband - he knows you like them, and he gave them to you as a nice gesture. If it bothers you that much, ask him not to get food for you as gifts from now on. Your weight loss is your problem, not his.

Freeze the cookies in proper portions (sandwich baggies!) and fit them into your calorie allotment on days when you want a treat (or every day, as long as it fits into your cals for the day). Crisis averted.
  • anneouel
    anneouel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I feel yah my sister made cupcakes D: lol! and ordered pizza so Im feeling the guilt today. Speaking of which I need to hit the gym, time to sweat out the horrid feeling of overeating bad foods.
  • prettygirmel
    Options
    Good for you portioning them out and putting them in the freezer. Good luck with your weight lost, it is not an easy task.
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    That sounds like a great plan. You can have your cookies, just not all at once. :flowerforyou:
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Freezing them is a great idea. Just pull out a couple and eat them on days that you have enough calories. I think that working treats in helps keep us on track!
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got my wife flowers, and she got me car care products. When you are both in sync, life is beautiful.

But I certainly think you hubby was just trying to be a good guy. Enjoy a cookie and share the rest ;)
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good idea freezing them into portions. It will be like a Valentine's treat that keeps on giving!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think that he probably didnt think and just thought he was doing nice. My husband bought me a massive box of ferreo rocher chocolates.. but i know i eat in moderation so i can have one or two a week. 60 calories for one cookie isnt too bad and i reckon you could eat a coupl on a weekend. Life is for living and i wouldnt think over it too much...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're saying. It would be hard for me to stay out of them and it is detrimental to weight loss.

On the other hand, at least you had a significant other thinking about you on V-day and giving you a gift. I am single and had no one to show that kind of appreciation towards me. I didn't hear from my family either. He was only trying to do something good for you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Wow, poor guy.
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Husbands (men) try to show us how much they love us and support us. Sometimes they don't do it exactly how we want them too. Love him for trying - he knows they are one of your favorite and probably thought the small box would not be big enough to show you he listens and cares. I would take it as him not supporting you, only that females and males really always think different!! Freeze them, share them and smile when you see the box that YOUR sweety loves you.
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tell him you loved them ( i am sure you nummed a few) AND then....give them away at work and leave them there...

If you don't have someone you can give them too....

throw them away......I know it might sound harsh

But think of yourself first.....you don't need them and his gesture is loving and let him know that and also let him know that you can't keep them

Fresh cookies are best anyways

If you think about it.....in 3 months you will not remember how the cookies tasted,,,,you will remember the strenght it took to say no if there comes another bridge you have to cross.

:)
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband did a similar thing except it was with Dove truffel chocolates, Lindt Truffels, and twizzlers. Granted It was a beautiful gesture, but in the long run it's not gonna be beautiful for my *kitten*. I thanked him, told him I loved my card and said I'd love to eat them all, but I just couldn't do it right now while my weight loss and hard work is so important to me, and paying off.

The kids got the twizzlers and the chocolates went into my freezer and there they will sit until I get to maintenence and I can afford a few calories more per day. 1200 calories allows for about nothing extra!

He understood, I wasn't rude, I still thanked him. He said he felt like he needed to do something though. I think he felt like I may have been insulted or something if I thought he didn't think I deserved sweets on sweet-heart day. I'm sure you're hubby felt similar. Sometimes I just think guys are at a loss as to what to buy for some occasions.

Freeze 'em they'll keep! Or share them with love with others. It's all good! Love your man for what he does, then do what you need to for you and move on.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My husband bought cake with icing.

I ate it. With ice cream. Then I went for a run. <3
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Anytime I have cake or cookies at home (which rarely happens anymore) I always bring the extra to work. We had a bday party at my house recently and had almost 1/2 the cake left. I brought it to work the next day and before I went for my 2nd cup of coffee, it was all gone. I have a MAJOR weakness for all things sweet and have lost my willpower over the last month or so. So, I made the problem disappear, and probably reappear on someone else's thighs! LOL!!!

But I believe that you should not deprive yourself of anything you want. I had a piece of cake and ice cream. I tried to work it in to my day.