GAINED 7 pounds in ONE week. *throws fit*

Options
Shall I make my explanations or simply thump myself on the back of the head?

Last week was TOM. So, I typically skip working out 3 or 4 days. I also wasn't as religious about counting calories as I have been, but I can tell you I never went over 2,000 calories a day.

Then on Friday, I went to the doctor to have a cyst on my neck looked at, which wound up requiring out-patient surgery/stitches. I was told to "cool it" on anything strenuous lest I pop my sutures, so that has meant no exercise since LAST Monday.

I'm feeling incredibly guilty about not keeping up with my routine, even though I KNOW it's 'Doctor's Orders'. That said, I stepped on the scale this morning just to "see" how bad things were, and I was UP -- SEVEN POUNDS.

Can I really have gained 7 pounds?!? I had FINALLY hit one "mini" goal of -50 pounds, and all of a sudden I'm up 7 and freaking out that I am headed for disaster.

I'm just pissed off, frustrated, mad at myself, ready to scream and cry and pitch an unholy fit over this.

Any advice for someone who is DESPERATE to get under 200 pounds by May 10, and had ONLY 35 pounds to go as of Jan 31, and now have 42 pounds to go, and half the month of Feb is gone???!!!

Ugh, I just wanna start cutting the fat off with a machete.

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    It's most likely a lot of water weight. Unless you ate a HUGE amount of cals in one week you wouldn't have gained 7 pounds of fat. Hop back on the wagon today and make sure to drink a lot of water to flush out your body. :flowerforyou:
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Agree, its probably due to water, you haven't been very active this week.

The most important thing is NOT to give up, we all have little set-backs from time to time - keep at it and I'm sure the scales will be kinder to you next week.
  • bugs5697
    Options
    It's most likely a lot of water weight. Unless you ate a HUGE amount of cals in one week you wouldn't have gained 7 pounds of fat. Hop back on the wagon today and make sure to drink a lot of water to flush out your body. :flowerforyou:

^^^^
    Yes, this.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    why would you skip working out just because its TOM?

Anyway. Don't beat yourself up about it. It happens . Pick yourself up tomorrows a new day!
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    you would have had to eat over 24,000 more than you burned last week to have that much of an actual weight gain. its water and it will be gone as quick as it came. : ) hope your feeling better soon.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Well to make you feel better. A year ago I started MFP. I lost 2 pounds since last week's weigh and guess what? I am still not down to the weight I was when I started last year...All you can do is live, learn, eat smart and work out! LOL It is probably just water weight. Have you been monitoring your sodium intake?
  • Ms_Cindyrella
    Ms_Cindyrella Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.. water gain.
    Just pick yourself up off the floor and keep on going.
    You will see a loss next week or your next weigh in.

My doctor told me toss the scale, let your clothes let you know how your doing.
  • brushe
    brushe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me before. Took this past weekend off and spiked my diet for two days while on a weekend getaway. My weight got up to 210 this past Sunday night. By Wednesday morning after two solid days of watching what I ate and working out I weighed 198.6 this morning. Get back on the wagon and you'll be good.
  • ndlakebum
    Options
    Is it a different scale than the one you usually use? Your weight can vary from scale to scale. You're still doing great, just get back on track! Keep it up!
  • technicalman
    technicalman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    7 pounds. 3000 cals per lb, that's 21000
    you said you ate 2000 / day.
    Doing nothing burns 1800 per day.
    to gain 7 lbs, you would have to eat 1800 *7 + 21000.

I think you're retaining fluids or haveen't dumped one.

You're ok, just keep on keeping on. :)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    why would you skip working out just because its TOM?

I do. I have really heavy cycles and I struggle with chronic anemia. It makes me really tired and shaky, and my heart races just trying to walk up one flight of stairs. (doesn't help that I have a heart problem and asthma on top of it lol. I'm falling apart.) I normally only take one day off per week but that week I take off whatever day I need to so I don't wear my body out. :flowerforyou:
  • abigailrschwartz
    abigailrschwartz Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I think you're retaining fluids or haveen't dumped one.

Haha, agreed. Everyone goes through that kind of stuff once in a while. Don't give up! I wouldn't be surprised if you weighed yourself a day after that to see you had lost a significant amount of that.
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Doesn't that just piss you off when you work so hard, and the weight appears to come back so quickly? But I agree with the others that it's likely fluid retention. Get back on track, and hopefully next week will bring better news :smile:
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: As soon as you get your doctors release to restart your exercise program do so - but not until. Continue eating properly just like you have been while losing and any quick weight gain will come back off. There could be any number of explanations for the quick weight gain but normally quick weight gains don't last and will quickly come back off as soon as we get back on track.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I thinks its possible you did gain..because you werent keeping track of things...despite the not being able to workout you needed to at least stay within your caloric goal to lose weight...surely 2000 cals isnt the amount for weight loss with no exercise?..I dont know your weight etc but if you were consistently over and not working out then this happens....try to at least count your cals and stay accountable..you CAN lose this 7 its not a major setback...good luck..when u have TOM try to at least get a walk in ...unless your a bed bound TOM person
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I echo what has already been posted above: probably a bit of fluid retention, most of us have been there/done that, etc. I would recommend, however, that when you cannot exercise, that you are diligent about counting your calories. You said you weren't religious about counting your calories, but when you can't exercise, it's even more important to watch those calories than before.

But whatever you do, try not to beat yourself up about it. For most of us, going up & down is part of the process. Just keep going & don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    *hugs*

It was TOM for me last week and I skimped on exercising, too. I've been up 5 pounds this week once I finally got back on the scale again. *sigh*
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - I never went over 1200 and also gained 7! Where's the fairness in THAT?!?! lol
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Personally, when my activity is low, I keep the carbs low. That staves off any weight gain. Carbohydrates are for energy. If you are not expending much energy, you do not need a lot of carbs. A calorie is NOT just a calorie. Was your sugar /starch/salt intake high?

But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had to travel for a week for work a couple weeks ago and I gained 3 pounds according to the scale. Within 3 days of eating clean and nixing all uneccessary sugar/starch/salt/bad fat, it was gone.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The only explanation for that much weight gain that fast is water retention. I've been having issues with it and recently had gained 10 pounds in under a week. My ankles, feet, calves and fingers all showed the gain. The doctor prescribed diuretics (which I'm still on) and I dropped all 10 pounds in 3 days.

One suggestion is to really watch your sodium and potassium intake. Lots of sodium, and too little potassium, will cause your body to retain water. Hormones also play a factor (my issue) which is why we usually gain a couple of pounds around TOM. I can usually tell when my weight gain is water by looking at my ankles and fingers first. My rings get tight and my ankle bones aren't as pronounced when I retain water.