Too much fibre?

Options
2»

Replies

• paleojamie
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too much fiber. And the insoluble fiber from grains scrapes at your intestinal walls - damaging the walls and creating lots of mucus - not a good thing.

When I went Primal and ditched the grains I also backed off the fiber (I get very little and what I do get comes from fibrous veggies and the occasional berry and coconut and my Lindt 85% dark cocoa bars - 6g per serving!) my IBS, hiatal hernia, indigestion, flatulence, bloating (my belly went flat for the first time in my life!!)

I find that getting plenty of fat in my diet (I get probably around 60%-70% of my calories from fat and mainly saturated fat) is what keeps my insides moving along.

The whole fiber thing is crap (excuse the pun). I don't want my poop to be big and bulky and heavy. I want it to be light and fluffy and easy to move along. A high-fat diet does this.

http://www.gutsense.org/fibermenace/about_fm.html
    The site is very gimmicky. I have no interest in buying the book. But the site is full of information. And just ditching the grains has done wonders for healing my gut. I had a doctor tell me to eat more whole grains and take this pill for my Fibromyalgia and my IBS would regulate within a year. Going Primal - it took about a month - lost 4" off the belly in about 6 weeks and this was with less exercise. the healing wasn't immediate and all the protein and fat stopped me up at first. But digestive enzymes and probiotics will help the body digest proteins/fats while the gut heals.

I function just fine on a few grams (more or less) a day. In fact, my digestive system functions better than ever (I've had digestive issues pretty much my whole life).

This is a great example of how different people need different diets. I was wrong in assuming OP couldn't eat too much fiber. The reason I aim to eat 40-50g of fiber per day is because I was diagnosed with diverticulosis last year. I have always had a very slow digestive system, and it was normal to go 3 days without a BM. Since changing my diet, my digestive system has improved dramatically, and I can now go everyday. And it's not big, bulky and heavy, but light and fluffy now. lol But that's just me. My husband has similar problems to what you've described, and if he eats even close to the amount of fiber I eat, he's backed up for days.

For the OP, if eating that much fiber is causing you digestive issues, try tweaking your diet to increase fat and lower grains. Or drink more water. But there are healthy foods that aren't high in fiber. It's all about finding the best balance for your body.

please give some examples of healthy foods not high in fibre :)
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

please give some examples of healthy foods not high in fibre :)

eggs, yogurt, milk (cow's, almond, whatever), meats, fish... I don't think you should cut out all foods with fiber in them, but eat smaller amounts of fiber-rich foods at a time. So instead of having fruit and porridge for breakfast, you could eat fruit and eggs. You're still getting some fiber, and it would be close to the same amount of fat & protein.
  • snaus70
    Options
    I usually eat about 50g of fiber each day and that seems to be perfect for my body. If my fiber intake drops to around 30g I get constipated! It is probably one of those things that has general recommended guidelines but is different for different people depending on their digestive systems. :ohwell:
  • paleojamie
    Options
    think my stomach hurts a tiny bit though, that's why i'm thinking maybe it is a bit too much fibre...
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you feel like your tummy isn't feeling very good I would suggest backing off the fiber a bit. Most people need to gradually increase their fiber intake or they risk the chance of causing bloating, flatulance and sometimes even feelings of heart burn or indegestion. Once you get to a comfortable fiber intake stay there for a few days (or weeks if everything is moving smoothly) and then gradually reincorporate high fiber foods. Good Luck!!
  • SassyStef
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too much fiber. And the insoluble fiber from grains scrapes at your intestinal walls - damaging the walls and creating lots of mucus - not a good thing.

When I went Primal and ditched the grains I also backed off the fiber (I get very little and what I do get comes from fibrous veggies and the occasional berry and coconut and my Lindt 85% dark cocoa bars - 6g per serving!) my IBS, hiatal hernia, indigestion, flatulence, bloating (my belly went flat for the first time in my life!!)

I find that getting plenty of fat in my diet (I get probably around 60%-70% of my calories from fat and mainly saturated fat) is what keeps my insides moving along.

The whole fiber thing is crap (excuse the pun). I don't want my poop to be big and bulky and heavy. I want it to be light and fluffy and easy to move along. A high-fat diet does this.

The site is very gimmicky. I have no interest in buying the book. But the site is full of information. And just ditching the grains has done wonders for healing my gut. I had a doctor tell me to eat more whole grains and take this pill for my Fibromyalgia and my IBS would regulate within a year. Going Primal - it took about a month - lost 4" off the belly in about 6 weeks and this was with less exercise. the healing wasn't immediate and all the protein and fat stopped me up at first. But digestive enzymes and probiotics will help the body digest proteins/fats while the gut heals.

I function just fine on a few grams (more or less) a day. In fact, my digestive system functions better than ever (I've had digestive issues pretty much my whole life).

What she said LOL I too struggle with digestive issues and IBS, I was told more fiber, ur tummy hurts your not pooping enough, eat more fiber, all it did was make me hurt more and oh the gas pains and visits to the ER

I too eat Primal and havent had any IBS symptoms since changing my diet, the veggie fibers in my opinion out weight any grains, breads pasts junk! Just focus on eating REAL and WHOLE FOODS and I think your tummy issues will improve :)
  • paleojamie
    Options

What she said LOL I too struggle with digestive issues and IBS, I was told more fiber, ur tummy hurts your not pooping enough, eat more fiber, all it did was make me hurt more and oh the gas pains and visits to the ER

I too eat Primal and havent had any IBS symptoms since changing my diet, the veggie fibers in my opinion out weight any grains, breads pasts junk! Just focus on eating REAL and WHOLE FOODS and I think your tummy issues will improve :)

can you do me a favour and look at my diary to see what you think :)
  • SassyStef
    Options
    [/quote]

can you do me a favour and look at my diary to see what you think :)
    [/quote]

Looking at your diary something I notice was the cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts........those are night shades and I know all this eat your veggies talk but for some who have tummy problems night shades can be the culprate too. I cannot eat those types of veggies either LOL
    It is gonna take some time to weed the foods out that cause you tummy problems, but if you are willing to listen to your body and make the changes it is so worth it. I would also stay away from bread or fried foods.........I use coconut oil now instead of corn and other oils, olive oil is a great one too. You can also use coconut flour or almond meal......so many alternative :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Umm, cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts are crucifers, part of the cabbage family, not night shades. Night shades are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes . . .

But they are high fibre and also produce a lot of gas, so can cause a lot of gastric distress if you're not used to them.

Looking at your diary something I notice was the cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts........those are night shades and I know all this eat your veggies talk but for some who have tummy problems night shades can be the culprate too. I cannot eat those types of veggies either LOL

It is gonna take some time to weed the foods out that cause you tummy problems, but if you are willing to listen to your body and make the changes it is so worth it. I would also stay away from bread or fried foods.........I use coconut oil now instead of corn and other oils, olive oil is a great one too. You can also use coconut flour or almond meal......so many alternative :)
  • paleojamie
    Options
    is it healthy to have this much fibre though? I sometimes feel constipated!
  • paleojamie
    Options
    Asked the doc today and she said it was fine to have this much .... but also maybe try and vary the diet a bit more :)