Calorie Count vs Sugar Intake

Options
So I was wondering if anyone had any insight onto calories vs sugar consumed? For example, my calories are set at 1350, but most of the time I earn extra calories from exercise (I try to do at least 30 minutes a day). But almost EVERY DAY I go over my recommended sugar intake. My calorie intake is usually below or right at what I'm supposed to be getting, so I was wondering...

Does going over my recommended sugar intake have a huge impact on my ability to lose weight?

Most of the sugars that I consume come naturally from fruits, and ocassionally it'll be from something processed like peanut butter or a cup of hot chocolate.

Any information/suggestions will help, thanks so much!

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on sugar and good on calories. Have been losing weight, plus fruit is good for you
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If most of your sugar is coming from fruit, it's not a problem. Sugar intake is only an issue really if you're downing like 10 pixie stix a day or something.

I got annoyed with my sugar always being over, so I set my sugar goal manually to 100g just to stop getting annoyed with it.

Calories, Protein, Carbs, and Fat are your biggest factors to worry about, I think.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugars. The sugars I eat are 99% natural. I rarely eat any processed sugar so I just don't worry about it! I've lost 56lbs this way so I wouldnt worry! X
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on sugar and good on calories. Have been losing weight, plus fruit is good for you
    I don't count sugars. The sugars I eat are 99% natural. I rarely eat any processed sugar so I just don't worry about it! I've lost 56lbs this way so I wouldnt worry! X

Very cool, thanks so much for the info!

I got a little paranoid because my co-worker was surprised I was eating 2 apples. He said that it was a lot of sugar to take in for just one meal.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    If most of your sugar is coming from fruit, it's not a problem. Sugar intake is only an issue really if you're downing like 10 pixie stix a day or something.

I got annoyed with my sugar always being over, so I set my sugar goal manually to 100g just to stop getting annoyed with it.

Calories, Protein, Carbs, and Fat are your biggest factors to worry about, I think.

^^^^^^
    This!

I eat lots of fruit and natural yogurt which naturally has sugar (the good kind). If your sugar is the processed kind then I would rethink.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I do believe that sugar does affect the body systems like the liver, thyroid, and such. I have been trying to just make sure my sugars are at least lower than what they have been in the past and not from processed foods. I also try to stay away from sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners. But if I don't eat fruit, I end up being sugar deprived and I dive into a box of my husband's sugary cereal head first.

Oh and when you eat fruit, try to eat a little protein with it. You stay fuller longer.
  • lhanks89
    Options

I have all of those on my food diary and almost never go over on those. Thanks so much!
  • PoochPottery
    Options

Very cool, thanks so much for the info!

I got a little paranoid because my co-worker was surprised I was eating 2 apples. He said that it was a lot of sugar to take in for just one meal.

Yea but they are APPLES!!!! Good for you! not to worry!
  • lhanks89
    Options
    I have the same issue. I do believe that sugar does affect the body systems like the liver, thyroid, and such. I have been trying to just make sure my sugars are at least lower than what they have been in the past and not from processed foods. I also try to stay away from sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners. But if I don't eat fruit, I end up being sugar deprived and I dive into a box of my husband's sugary cereal head first.

I have a weakness for frosted mini wheats sometimes :X
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was also going over on my sugar counts because of fruits and occasional dairy. So I increased my allowable sugar for the same reason Becca did. I think a lot of people start out on MFP eating a lot of processed foods and added sugars (Isn't that part of how we became overweight to begin with?) So I used the sugar tracking early on to learn how much sugar was in the foods I ate. After I stopped eating processed sugar, I was surprised to find how much sugar there could be in something like a glass of milk. So I began considering that when I planned meals so I never got too much sugar at once (those blood sugar spikes can put me at a higher risk for diabetes, and with my genetic makeup, I don't need any help with that!).

Now I don't need to look at the sugar much at all, and when I consciously choose a meal with lots of natural sugar/carbs, it is usually the pre-workout meal, and I have done it for a reason.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no joke. I didn't go shopping and we were out of our berries and stuff for 2 days. I binged like crazy!!!!! I was sugar hung over for 2 days. It felt like I had gone to a keg party. I hope I remember that for next time. Probably won't though....:sad: :bigsmile:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    i'm always way over on my sugar but I only get my sugar from fruits and veggies so I just stopped tracking it. Although it did make me aware of a yogurt I was eating that happened to be higher in sugar then I had thought. So I switched it up for a non-sugar one :)
  • caitlinmcauley
    Options
    im always at or below for calories, and my sugar is alwaysss over. i dont think they allow you very much (mine is only 25 grams!) im going to take the suggestion to set it for higher so mfp stops yelling at me :)