The Excuses

Options
I've been thinking about all the excuses I keep hearing from overweight people.

I get irritated when the ones that are extremely overweight make excuses for why they are overweight.

"Bad Genes"
"My Family doesn't support me"
"I don't have time to eat healthy/workout"
"I have a food addiction"
"I eat my feelings"

I've been there. I know WHY they are overweight. Why I don't understand is why they won't change when they are miserable where they are. If they are happy and healthy, more power to them. That's great that they can not worry about appearances and live fulfilled lives.

Its the people that complain about being miserable, but refuse to put in the work, or the self-discipline to change it. I've been fat. I get it. I was at 30%+ body fat at age 23. I was and still am addicted to eating. Not because I eat away my feelings, but because I love food. All of it. I love the way it feels to eat. There is LITERALLY not a single food article that I don't like when prepared well.

We are all busy and don't have time to workout. Make time. As far as family support goes, YOU are the one on the journey. Not them. You can't count on them to be your crutch. Sure, its nice if they are there, but ultimately it is you that will decide your success or failure.

Basically, its like this. If you are unhappy in your life, CHANGE IT! You are the only motherf***ker that can change it. You have to have the self discipline and get control of yourself.

I'm not saying its easy - Far from it. It sucks, and its hard. Everyone has lapses. But the point is, YOU can change it, and no one else can. Quit making excuses for your life, and get off your *kitten* and change it.

The other thing that pisses me off are those constantly fit people that eat anything all the time and don't workout. Ever. I just wanna cram butter down their throat while screaming "YOU SHOULD HAVE TO WORK FOR THAT BODY TOO, YOU F***KER!!!"

And then I remember that some people get it for free, while the rest of us gotta bust our *kitten* for it.

Life ain't fair. Get over it and stop making excuses.

Replies

• shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    all overweight people have a thyroid problem. you must know this.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

So did I, but luckily it has resolved itself. Just another excuse.

Sure, these things make it HARDER, but they don't stop you from being successful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean about excuses. But I think for a lot of people, the key is just finding something that works for them and fits their lifestyle. MFP doesn't click for everyone. It did for me obviously, but I have told everyone I know about it and only one or two people have stuck with it. I think it is just about finding the right fit for a lot of people. You never really know what you have been missing until you find it.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options

So did I, but luckily it has resolved itself. Just another excuse.

Sure, these things make it HARDER, but they don't stop you from being successful.

i was joking haha... that's just the excuse i hear SO MUCH.
    and PCOS...
    it's still possible to lose weight with these things.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem. :wink:
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Excuses are like a**holes. Everyone's got one and they usually stink.
    That being said, there are some legit reasons people can't or won't try to lose weight. They have to be ready or it won't happen.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tell 'em :drinker:
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    The other thing that pisses me off are those constantly fit people that eat anything all the time and don't workout. Ever. I just wanna cram butter down their throat while screaming "YOU SHOULD HAVE TO WORK FOR THAT BODY TOO, YOU F***KER!!!"

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Very well put!
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was/am happy, fat.

Yes, I said it. Until now, I have been happy fat. Every now and then I'd think of how nice it would be to be thin, all the things I would be able to do, but then I would remember how much I love certain foods and I would be unhappy if I had to give them up. I would rather be fat and happy than thin and miserable. I was fine that way and even now, I refuse to regret that.

Now, I find that I may not be able to bear children without losing weight. So now, it will make me happy to lose weight, and I am. My priorities have changed. They weren't wrong before, just different.

That being said, I agree that people that complain about something they CAN change but refuse to do so piss me off. If they've truly tried and continue to have diagnosable medical issues preventing them, I am more lenient, but sometimes, we just love food more than health or thinness and I honestly believe there's nothing wrong with that. Honestly, what IS the point of being healthy if what it takes to be that way makes you miserable. It's like being rich but missing out on being loved because all you care about is money. The thing is, if a person loves food to that degree, they need to be honest with themselves first and foremost and own the truth.

Oh, and btw...my husband is one of those people that is thin without really trying. It's a good thing I love him so much or I might learn to hate him. Lol.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

i was joking haha... that's just the excuse i hear SO MUCH.
    and PCOS...
    it's still possible to lose weight with these things.

It is VERY difficult with PCOS.... IF you have the corresponding insulin resistance. With that, I have to be *REALLY* careful with my sugars and their origin. I am not low carb, I try to keep it lower than a lot do. But I try to get them all from fruits and veggies when I can. I have lost 167 lbs so far WITH PCOS and Insulin resistance. It is just a big fat excuse.......... It is entirely possible, just more work.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I know I did, but the darn blood tests for hypothyroidism that the doctor gave me kept coming back normal. They must have been defective tests.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

^^ LMAO!! I have that thought everytime I see some of my sister's friends.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to agree...for me it was just the fact that I loved food and wasnt being accountable...I do have a Thyroid problem, Diabetes.. TOM issues, Psoriasis all over my feet and legs...BUT ignoring the issues and making excuses to not stay accountable just made all those things much worse....sometimes we gotta just suck it up...even if you cant run a mile ..most of us have the ability to at least walk half a mile..and if not do a sit down workout....every little bit counts even if its just logging and staying within a calorie range....with all that said I think people have to find this out on their own.....it doesnt really pay to hound them because what happens is one excuse turns into twenty ..if they cant find it within themself....
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    IF you have PCOS with insulin resistance (which I do) lower the sugars (not all carbs, just the sugars) that you eat. I did and the weight has been falling off. Also, ask your OBGYN about Metfornin. It will help you absorb the insulin. It will also help you avoid eating sugars since your body will be very very unahppy with you if you over do it.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I still eat my feelings. But I also Zumba my feelings and run my feelings and am the idiot dancing under my desk because I have an unhealthy love for playing said Zumba music in my office during the day. Who are we kidding: I exercise so I can eat. And drink beer. But there's no going back to the way I was, eating ridiculous amounts of bad food as a hobby or a crutch or whatever. A year ago I made a decision to stop that crap, and for the most part I have. My issues are really volumes, and that's never going to change, but I like to think I'm getting better.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

Thyroid (high or low) is easy to control with food, so long as you care enough to do the research. So they are blaming their eating problem on a medical condition that can be fixed with... Food.

I had gestational hyperthyroidism that made me a high risk delivery (I could die giving birth, just like the old days). I went off the meds 3 weeks before I delivered and was testing normal. Why?
    BECAUSE I ATE TO CONTROL IT.
    No, I'm not joking.
    Every now and then, I crave peaches, peanuts, and cabbage, and I know it's because it still sometimes runs high. If I don't indulge, I randomly drop .5-1#. Back when it was bad, and I was pregnant, I dropped 9# in 2mo (no morning sickness aside from heartburn) and didn't gain almost any of it back until it was discovered when I was 6mo along.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They have to be ready or it won't happen.

^ This

I just wish I would have been ready at a much younger age. :frown:

But now I'm feeling younger with every lb. I shed! :happy:
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I hate people who constantly make excuses. :-l