Body Fat Scales

Options
So I was wondering if anyone had advice/opinions on body fat scales? Body fat, not weight is my main concern, and I would like to have a way to measure it at home. I realize that the scales aren't as accurate as calipers or getting it professionally measured, but are they accurate at all? Do they at least provide readings accurate enough so you can get trend lines, or are they a worthless investment?

If you have one and like it, which brand do you use? Anything else anyone can provide on them would be very helpful.

Replies

• UltraRoyal
    Options
    I pruchased mine from www.well.ca
    The brand is Omron. Its measures weight, BMI, and Body Fat percentage.
    I lovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee it, it can store upto 4 different profiles and comes with a very detailed manual. You enter your age, gender, and height and it does all the calculating. Everyone that comes to my house has to step on this scale, loooool. Check it out. Well worth the money. Best wishes.
  • Ashraz
    Ashraz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the Bowflex Glass Body Fat Scale,measures,body fat,water,Mass ,BMI....picked it up at local Costco for 25 bucks.So far liking it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They are not the most accurate, but look for one that has a hand sensor and feet sensors, this way the reading taken will encompass more of your total body. Still not 100% but better then just the hand held or just the one you step on.

Look for something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-516B-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B004Y384FC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_21
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The one I have was nothing but a waste of money, regarding the body fat %. Fine for weight.
    The better thing to get for body fat is the hand-held gizmos. It's a lot more accurate than one that measures through your feet.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    How do these things know what our body fat percentage?
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    When I had my body fat checked by a professional using calipers, he calculated 23%. That was a couple years ago. Recently my wife purchased a scale that calculated body fat %. I'm down 20 lbs (was 225, now 205) and the scale reads 22% body fat. Sounds pretty darn close to me. I actually watched it drop a little as my weight went down (I was 217 when I started using the new scale, and it read 22.8%).
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When I had my body fat checked by a professional using calipers, he calculated 23%. That was a couple years ago. Recently my wife purchased a scale that calculated body fat %. I'm down 20 lbs (was 225, now 205) and the scale reads 22% body fat. Sounds pretty darn close to me. I actually watched it drop a little as my weight went down (I was 217 when I started using the new scale, and it read 22.8%).

What scale do you have?