Cholesterol

Options
Hello everyone. Is there anyone 'else' on here who has high cholesterol besides me. My Dr. says it hereditary and I believe most of that as my Grandpa and Mother also have it.

I'd like to know if there is some really effective supplement (fish oil, flax seed, etc.) that you've found to lower your cholesterol without medication.

Thanks all,

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There is this crazy thing called a low-fat, high fiber diet I keep hearing about. I'm maybe not the person you want advice from, since I have really low cholesterol--my doctors are always impressed. Both my parents have high cholesterol though, so the main thing I can attribute it to is diet and exercise.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've had high cholesterol since I first had it tested when I was 20 (I'm 33 now). My dr recommended 1000 mg of fish oil, twice a day. I'm also changing the way I eat (yogurt, oatmeal and fiber one for breakfast, rather than scrambled eggs and cheese on toast). I'm working out 6 days a week. Don't know if it's helped yet. I go back in march for a recheck. Mine is hereditary as well. At one point, following what I'm doing now, I did get my cholesterol down to 180...but I didn't stick with it. Hope some of this helps you. Best of luck.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mine is also hereditary. I dropped my cholesterol 10% in a year by going mostly low fat, high fiber and exercising at least 30 minutes a day. My Dr. was impressed. Still drank 1% milk and ate cheese. I reduced the amount of meals with meat and eat mostly chicken and fish. This past exam, my HDL were still a little low so she recommended 1000mg of fish oil supplements and exercise. I'd start with the diet and exercise adjustment, then check it again in 3-6 months. If there are still numbers that need adjusted, you can try the supplements. But really, diet is the best place to start. You can get the omega 3s eating high fat fish twice a week.
  • ncbrowneyes97
    ncbrowneyes97 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have had mine checked once since being told I had high cholesterol and it was a lot better. I am eating better, excercising 3 times a week about 45 minutes, taking 4,000MG of Fish Oil a day and I also eat a small handful of Almonds-so it is definately helping! I too did not want to be put on medication! Good luck and I hope you can get yours lowered too!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Is there anyone 'else' on here who has high cholesterol besides me. My Dr. says it hereditary and I believe most of that as my Grandpa and Mother also have it.

I'd like to know if there is some really effective supplement (fish oil, flax seed, etc.) that you've found to lower your cholesterol without medication.

Thanks all,

I've had a problem with high cholesterol since I was in my late teens. I have PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), and one of the symptoms of that disorder is dyslipidemia (high LDL, high triglycerides, and low HDL). I try to exercise regularly, eat foods low in cholesterol and high in fiber, and I take 1tsp of flax seed oil in the morning and one in the evening. I also try to eat foods that are rich in omega 3's like fish, raw almonds, and walnuts. Drinking lots and lots of water also helps. I'm due for my annual physical in a few weeks, so I'll know if this is helping me or not. I'm already on BP meds, so I really don't want to have to take cholesterol meds to boot.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Thanks all, I've dropped mine before by taking Niacin and eating Healthy Choice meals for lunch. Dropped 40 points in 3 months but again, it went back up. I didn't really like overloading my liver with Niacin but then again, now I take Zocor (20mg) every night.

So maybe backing off Milk products will help. Also, upping fiber intake and lowering fat. I'll have to work on that soon.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I was told my cholesterol was slightly higher than average but they didn't do the breakdown of HDL/LDL etc... I eat really healthily, cook with very little or no fat and run and exercise regularly. I also don't smoke or have high dietary cholestrol, so perhaps it is hereditary! No obvious reason my end! it was over 5!
  • orchidsand
    Options

Thanks all,

Elevated Cholesterol levels can be hereditary. You need to also look at your LDL (bad cholesterol), HDL (good cholesterol), the ratio between the 2 and also your Triglcerides. Thru exercise the HDL should go up as you want that higher than the LDL. You can lower cholesterol levels using some dietary modifications (eat meat [beef, pork, chicken,& turkey] once a week, eat fish high in omega-3 at least 3 times weekly [salmon, mackeral, herring, anchovies, lake trout, albacore tuna] & have one meatless meat per week, avoid all diary products to include eggs) but if it is hereditary, diet will not drop it to the levels you may want. You ask about supplements (fish oil, flax seed, etc). THEY ARE MEDICATIONS, but fall into the group of over the counter (OTC) supplements. If you want to take them, check with your physician first to make sure they will not interact with any other medications you are on. Ex: if you are on blood thiners, they may increase the effect & that could put you in jeopardy. Both of those MEDICATIONS are Omega-3s, so they will help to elevate your HDL, and maybe bring your total cholesterol down a bit, but not as much as you may want. My recommendations:
    1. Get a nutritionist consult so your current diet can be assessed and then adjustments may have to be made to provide you with food that is lower in cholesterol.
    2. Talk with your Physician about using cholesterol lowering MEDICTIONS such as statins.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets have been shown to improve cholesterol. (it's true!)

from WebMD: Low carb diets improve cholesterol long term
    http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term

I am on a low carb diet, I have PCOS and these were my last numbers:

LDL 104
    HDL 117 (not a typo)
    triglycerides 40
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The very best thing you can do for it is vigorous exercise. Also, the type of fats and carbohydrates in your diet can play a big part.

Below is to a very good article from the Harvard School of Public Health on how diet affects your blood cholesterol levels.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html#cholesterol
    The types of fat in the diet determine to a large extent the amount of total, HDL, and LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream. The types and amount of carbohydrate in the diet also play a role. Cholesterol in food matters, too, but not nearly as much.
  • LMKrygier
    LMKrygier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have high cholesterol even though I'm not overweight, exercise regularly, eat pretty healthy, etc. (I'm adopted and don't know my genetic history.) I went to a nutritionist in early January and she recommended that I start tracking my saturated fat more closely. That's why I started using this application. BUT, she also recommended adding plant sterols to my diet. You get some in vegetables naturally, but not really enough to make a difference. So, she recommended Nature Made CholestOff (supplement) and Corazonas oatmeal bars. I've only been doing this for about a month and don't go back for a re-check until April, so I can't vouch for effectiveness yet. But, I'll keep you posted.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I also have high cholesterol even though I'm not overweight, exercise regularly, eat pretty healthy, etc. (I'm adopted and don't know my genetic history.) I went to a nutritionist in early January and she recommended that I start tracking my saturated fat more closely. That's why I started using this application. BUT, she also recommended adding plant sterols to my diet. You get some in vegetables naturally, but not really enough to make a difference. So, she recommended Nature Made CholestOff (supplement) and Corazonas oatmeal bars. I've only been doing this for about a month and don't go back for a re-check until April, so I can't vouch for effectiveness yet. But, I'll keep you posted.

Oh, this reminds of a study that was published last year about what they called "the portfolio diet", which is not a weight loss diet but a diet designed specifically to lower cholesterol by eating 4 foods everyday, one of them being plant sterols. It showed very good results, much better than just lowering saturated fats.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20110823/portfolio-diet-beats-low-fat-diet-at-lowering-cholesterol
    The portfolio diet includes four types of foods recognized by the FDA for their ability to lower cholesterol:

Soy protein. The portfolio diet calls for substituting soy-based meat products for meat, such as soy burgers, soy hot dogs, and soy cold cuts. Soy milk and soybeans (also known as edamame) are also good sources of soy protein.
    Sticky fiber. The diet incorporates fiber from oats, barley, and psyllium.
    Plant sterol esters. The diet replaces butter and margarine with plant sterol ester-enriched margarine.
    Nuts. A handful a day of tree nuts, such as almonds or walnuts, and peanuts are included in the diet.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Niacin is better for your body than any cholesterol medication out there. And you really don't need to take all that much to have it work. Omega-3 fatty acids would help raise HDL levels (a good thing!). Clean, healthy eating and regular exercise are also great for lowering overall cholesterol levels.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol about 9-12 months ago. I was told by the dr. that I had to start tracking my food, saturated fats in particular. Only 8 per day...which doesn't sound like it'd be hard but it's HARD. So I track my sat. fats(<8/day), cholesterol (<200/day) and calories (~1200/day). I cut out eggs completely (which was hard since that was my go-to breakfast) and cut out peanut butter all together (my true love!). I have cheerios for breakfast with a banana and skim milk every day (if I want something diff. I have honey nut cheerios, haha!). I have one treat day per week. My numbers have gone down ~70 points. I'm still overweight but my chol. is now ok and I feel like I'm getting a handle on this whole thing, and the weight loss will follow naturally. Good luck!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya i stopped eating meat and my cholesterol went down
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter...I didnt know it had a negative effect on cholesterol unless you are eating too much of it....
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Veganism and Vegetarianism will drastically lower your cholesterol.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I WAS eating too much peanut butter, or at least according to my nutritionist. Booo!!!! :P
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbs (sugar in particular). I will get a lot of hate for saying this. Oh well. People really need to stop blaming saturated fats.

For those of you with an open mind here is a great video to watch. It is broken down into a few different ones. The doctor is a renown lipidologist, Thomas Dayspring and I am sure he knows more about this field then anyone who will post a reply on this subject or your own GPs.

http://www.youtube.com/specialtyhealth

http://www.livestrong.com/article/363183-lowering-cholesterol-facts-myths/
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Veganism and Vegetarianism will drastically lower your cholesterol.

That still depends on your diet. If you eat a diet high in processed sugar and other processed carbs you likely won't lower your cholesterol much.