white vs. brown bread

Options
So when I look up wonderbread and compare their 100% whole wheat to their white bread there's really not much of a difference. So why is brown bread and pasta so much better for you???

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So when I look up wonderbread and compare their 100% whole wheat to their white bread there's really not much of a difference. So why is brown bread and pasta so much better for you???
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Fiber and nutrients. whole wheat has them, white bread has the nutrients chemically re-inserted (fortified w/ vitamins and minerals).

Brown carbs (complex) metabolize slower, and you feel fuller faster and longer. White carbs are essentially wasted empty calories.:flowerforyou:
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    There are two big differences: how they're processed and how healthful they are. The flour for both is made from wheat berries, which have three nutrient-rich parts: the bran (the outer layers), the germ (the innermost area) and the endosperm (the starchy part in between). Whole wheat is processed to include all three nutritious parts, but white flour uses only the endosperm. When put head-to-head with whole wheat bread, white is a nutritional lightweight. Whole wheat is much higher in fiber, vitamins [B.sub.6] and E, magnesium, zinc, folic acid and chromium.
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    Okay that makes sense thankyou :happy:
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    What about "smart pasta" ???
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
  • katdizzie
    Options
    I recently read an article about wheat breads. Apparently you have to be careful about which bread you choose. some breads are dyed brown with molasses. Whole wheat should be listed in the ingredients, it should say 100% whole wheat (as apposed to enriched) and it should contain 3 grams of fiber per serving. Hope this helps.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    I recently read an article about wheat breads. Apparently you have to be careful about which bread you choose. some breads are dyed brown with molasses. Whole wheat should be listed in the ingredients, it should say 100% whole wheat (as apposed to enriched) and it should contain 3 grams of fiber per serving. Hope this helps.

you beat me to it, i was just about to post that very thing. :happy:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    Multigrain is much better than any of the others.
  • sassy285
    sassy285 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree, multigrain breads have heaps more fibre in them than the wheatmeal or 'brown bread', so will make you feel fuller for longer and help aid with movement of the bowels.

i had a lecturer say to us once that if you take a piece of bread, hold it at one end, shake it, and it flaps up and down easily then you should probably try for another type of bread or stick with white bread!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    What about "smart pasta" ???

hummm . thats interesting, anybody tryed it ? what did you think ? (i'm in the uk, and havent seen it yet) the thing that i am worried about (i read their website) is that i wonder if they still use bleached flours and just add enriched vitamins and nutriments... it just doesnt seem too natural to me. whats the source of the inulin.. or is it like ascorbic acid they call vitamin c (witch is basicly a chemical) .

alright, maybe i'm too paranoid :) but would love it if it was really all that good for you.
    may
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    WHAT ABOUT SPINACH PASTA?