Looking for friends interested in self-improvement, beyond j

Options
Hello. Although I have used MFP once before, I have never participated publicly or had "friends" to hold me accountable. I am currently working on becoming healthier and on losing this excess weight I've managed to put on. However I am trying to work on the underlying issues that have brought me to this point - the lack of discipline or accountability in my life so far, the anger I feel at myself, the inability to focus my energy, etc. etc. I would love to find others who are working on themselves, with weight loss/health/fitness being one component of that larger journey.

About me: Female, 37, well-educated, very recently laid off from a job that really burned me out, have a toddler who will be two at the end of April, happily married. I'm 5'2", ballooned up to 187 # after four years of working full time in a stressful, all-encompassing, sedentary corporate job (there was also a pregnancy in there that didn't help). I've lost ten pounds, have about 57 to go to get to my goal of 120#. Love the outdoors and immersion in nature, live rurally, want to get the weight off because it has kept me from so many of the things I love and used to do regularly (yoga, hiking, backpacking, swimming, paddling, climbing, etc.).

I lean toward spirituality although I'm not religious. I believe fully that matter follows vision, and that we create our realities. A month ago my reality was sickness, depression, exhaustion, anxiety and a lot of fear. Now I want to actively create a new version of my life that incorporates creativity, joy, forgiveness, compassion, success and love, both for myself and others. Anyone else here going through a similar life-change? Want to be friends?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    We definitely have some similarities! Request on the way!
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    We have a lot in common - hello new friend <3
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I am with you guys!
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Add me as well! :) I am in the same boat..
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    I love seeing posts from those who are similar to me. Friend request sent.I am 5ft almost 1in! My starting weight was 185 im at 163 goal weight is 130/135
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    We sounds like a good fit! In my case, my weight issues have always been a symptom and I am finally attacking the cause. I have been feeling lately like if I don't love myself at any size then how should I expect to be satisfied when I reach my "goal"? I am done looking back to a time when it was better/ when I was thinner, etc., now I am looking forward to being healthy and comfortable in my own skin. It's hard work, so I need help in this process too :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am looking for some of the same things. I am a very happy person. I don't like my job and before the holidays, I was extremely stressed at work. Since I have been exercising, I have been able to handle the crap that is thrown at me everyday. Outside of work, I am going to school part-time and have a pretty active social life.
    I am doing this too better my life and not be so tired so I can even do more. I am 45 years old.
    Feel free to add me.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Add me to that boat as well! Friend request sent!
  • KimsWeightloss
    Options
    Hi there,
    My life change is about getting back my vision of who I am. Not an overweight person. My change is in how I feel about myself now after going through some health issues and becoming a bit of a different person in my thoughts about the human experience and also more into metaphysics more than ever.
    I am totally NOT religious, but I am very spiritual. I am a Reiki Master and into other healing modalities as well. I also believe we create our realities as well.
    I would love to have you as a friend!
    I am great at motivating others and I also enjoy getting motivated by others as well.
    Sincerely,
    Kim
  • jbescherer
    jbescherer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too am working on improving all aspects of my life, not just losing weight. I would suggest you check out a book called "The Compound Effect" By Darren Hardy. It has some skill coaching along with goal worksheets and whole life advise. It is not very expensive either. I think I paid $15 for the online PDF. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I love positive insprirational messages.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Request sent! I am trying to work on myself as a whole, not just the weight.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me 5 years ago. I, 5 years ago changed my life and job to create more of what I want out of life! Sent a friend request.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ya have a friend here if you need her!! :happy: I'm kinda new here but am loving this site so far!! Feel free to friend request!!!!!
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    :smile: Hi...Sound's like my lifestory.

I'm 5'4 and 169 pounds. Started at 173 two weeks ago on my way to a healthy BMI (104-141 lbs). My goal is to get to 140 (135 on the far edge as I tend to build muscle really easily so the numbers never seem to move down far enough).

My biggest concern is my heart health. I'm 30 years old and I needed to make serious changes to avoid heart disease, since it runs in the family.

Right now, I'm kinda pissed off about the fact that I've done this to myself. I'm was a professional ballet dancer until I injured myself 10 years ago. And then college, and law school and a desk job and then boom! Cholesterol is 300.

SO i'm going on solely on being angry.

BUt I know that is not going to last, I need real support. My friends are not really supportive. They don't understand why I can't have the nachos or the fries or the 3rd 4th 5th beer. "It's not going to hurt you" is what i hear over and over. and the thing is, yes it does hurt me.

So anyway,

Hi friend!!!
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi...Sound's like my lifestory.

I'm 5'4 and 169 pounds. Started at 173 two weeks ago on my way to a healthy BMI (104-141 lbs). My goal is to get to 140 (135 on the far edge as I tend to build muscle really easily so the numbers never seem to move down far enough).

My biggest concern is my heart health. I'm 30 years old and I needed to make serious changes to avoid heart disease, since it runs in the family.

Right now, I'm kinda pissed off about the fact that I've done this to myself. I'm was a professional ballet dancer until I injured myself 10 years ago. And then college, and law school and a desk job and then boom! Cholesterol is 300.

SO i'm going on solely on being angry.

BUt I know that is not going to last, I need real support. My friends are not really supportive. They don't understand why I can't have the nachos or the fries or the 3rd 4th 5th beer. "It's not going to hurt you" is what i hear over and over. and the thing is, yes it does hurt me.

So anyway,

Hi friend!!!

Your life story sounds like mine! I too was a ballet dancer that had to stop once injured. Then college, then desk job and weight gain..... Same thing with the support from some of those in my life. :(
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    Its so nice to hear from another Ballerina!!!

For me, the biggest issue is that back when I was dancing I was NOT healthy. I was way to thin, exercising too much and eating too little. And then, I went to the other extreme.

I've never been healthy. I tried weight watchers 3 years ago and that helped to lose the weight, but it didn't teach me anything about nutrition, or balanced meals, or anything other than going under the stupid daily points.

Once the point counting got tired the pounds came back with a vengance.

So, I'm learning now. Reading, researching, and educating myself. Little by little.

It's great to meet you.

M.