Runners, rest days?

Options
I'm currently running 3 miles a day. Most weeks I take the weekend off, but sometimes only Sunday. My body is not sore and shows no signs of needing to let up. Just wondering if I "have to" take more rest days?

Replies

• ema727
    ema727 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Rest days are just as important as workout days. Every time you workout, you create tiny tears in your muscles and they need time to repair. Resting allows the body time to heal itself and build stronger muscles in its place.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Rest days are just as important as workout days. Every time you workout, you create tiny tears in your muscles and they need time to repair. Resting allows the body time to heal itself and build stronger muscles in its place.

So than what is the appropriate amount of rest days per workout days? Like how can people do P90X for 90 days straight?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are fine. If your body feels good, then you aren't over taxing it.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

My thoughts as well.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

My thoughts as well.

Thanks!
  • triathlete06
    Options
    I run, do CrossFit, and whatever else. My rest day is usually on Sunday. I always take my rest day the day after my long run day. If you are running 3 miles and don't find it challenging, you should vary it with speedwork, hills, etc. Otherwise, your body becomes too efficient at running the 3 miles.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can rest when you're dead!

Listen to your body and you'll be fine.

FWIW - I generally run 6-7 days a week, every week all year long. Been doing it for years. The trick is some days I run hard and other days I run easy (which is my recovery).

When I need a rest day, I take a rest day.

ETA: running too many days too soon is a good way to get injured, but there is no reason not to run two days in a row
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I run 6 days a week, on my rest days I'll hit the eliptical. If you're feeling good at 3 miles a day, maybe its time to up the distance. I've always heard rest days are important, but I hate taking them. I can tel after a rest day I run smother and faster.
  • ema727
    ema727 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

So than what is the appropriate amount of rest days per workout days? Like how can people do P90X for 90 days straight?

P90X is a 90 day program that is 6 days a week with 1 rest day a week!
  • kmaas802
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 10K, and I'm only running 4 days a week. I do Pilates one day a week and strength training one day a week so I end up with only one rest day a week from exercising, but 3 days a week rest from running. It has really done wonders for my speed and endurance. If you're consistently running 3 miles every day, your body will get too used to it and it'll stop being beneficial. I agree with the posters that said to vary your running distance/speed/intensity or reduce the number of days a week you run and try something else those other days.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't feel it now, doesn't mean you won't be hit with an overuse injury later.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I ran every day for awhile with few issues. Then I started getting chronic ankle and knee pain. Even taking time off to heal, I'd end up re-injured shortly after being back running.

So I stopped the every day running and mixed up my schedule. I did strength on Mondays, ran Tuesdays, some form of non-running cardio on Wednesdays, strength and short run on Thursdays, rested Fridays, non-running cardio on Saturdays and my long run day on Sundays.

My speed improved, my endurance improved and I've been injury free since I started that schedule. Right now I'm using using to train for my half marathon and the only change is that I swapped my Wednesdays so that I now alternate between fartleks and hill training every other week. And my running just continues to improve.

So I'd say that even though you feel good now, listen to your body carefully as you continue. Some people can run everyday for their entire lives, others it doesn't work for. Just pay attention to yourself, watch for injuries, and just be willing to mix things up if it may be needed. (I resisted switching from everyday running for much longer than I should have and have the ACE bandages to prove it)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options

And this is why I love ARC
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

My thoughts as well.

I also agree with this. But you really have to listen to your body. Today I'm taking a 'rest' day. I did 30 minutes of step aerobics today, but for me that's a rest day. And I'm doing it because my body told me too, lol. My upper body is sore from Monday's weight lifting (yay DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness) and my legs are BEAT from running 12 miles Sunday and 8.7 last night.

I do also really agree with the suggestions to change things up though. I usually only run 2-3 days a week at this point, and those 12 miles on Sunday were my longest run EVER! I find that weight lifting, including a good leg routine, really is helping my running! Also, vary length, speed, etc., and maybe try some different workouts a couple days a week. I also take dance classes twice a week.

It's true, if you keep doing the same exact thing, your body is smart and finds the most efficient way of doing it, burning less calories.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Listen to your body and you'll be fine.

I so agree! Someone else mentioned that you may get an overuse injury by running a lot. We are literally built to run long distance. People who get these so-called 'overuse' injuries tend to:

* have uneven, weak musculature (combat that by strength training and plyometrics)
    * do not stretch adequately or at all
    * try to do too much running, too soon
    * carry around extra weight
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You are fine with one day off a week however it would be nice to cross-train a little bit so you do not end up putting too much stress on your joints from just pounding pavement
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I felt perfectly fine up until the day I came home limping with a stress fracture. :embarassed:
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I rest on Monday, Friday and do light cross training on Sunday's... It's the Hal Higdon approach and it's working for me in my 1/2 marathon training!