Question for Heavy Lifters (female variety)

Options
RachVR6
RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
So I've read numerous posts here but not really seeing many responses from people I see as reliable, and I've read articles usually with conflicting views, so I'd like to know from PERSONAL experience what has worked for YOU.

Here's the deal...

I'm trying to put on a good amount of muscle using the StrongLifts program. Will I be able to do that while eating in a deficit?

I still have 20-25lbs to lose. My maintenance calories right now are around 1840.

On strength days I'll be trying to eat my calorie goal (1500) + exercise cals (200ish), so around 1700.
On alternate days where I do moderate cardio, I'll be eating more around 1500-1600ish.

Have you had success with increased strength with HEAVY lifting while using a calorie deficit or did you really have to eat at maintenance or above to see substantial gains?

muscular.gif

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So I've read numerous posts here but not really seeing many responses from people I see as reliable, and I've read articles usually with conflicting views, so I'd like to know from PERSONAL experience what has worked for YOU.

Here's the deal...

I'm trying to put on a good amount of muscle using the StrongLifts program. Will I be able to do that while eating in a deficit?

I still have 20-25lbs to lose. My maintenance calories right now are around 1840.

On strength days I'll be trying to eat my calorie goal (1500) + exercise cals (200ish), so around 1700.
    On alternate days where I do moderate cardio, I'll be eating more around 1500-1600ish.

Have you had success with increased strength with HEAVY lifting while using a calorie deficit or did you really have to eat at maintenance or above to see substantial gains?

muscular.gif

Personally, I have had no increase in lean mass while on a deficit. I have increased definition simply because I decreased body fat percentage. My experience was that on a deficit I was losing weight. By the numbers I was losing 1 pound of lean mass to every 3 pounds of fat (so my weight loss was made up of 25% lean mass) and I was doing light lifting (bodypump classes). When I added heavy weights I about 15% (by caliper test) of my weightloss was attributed to lean mass. So, while I was gaining in definition and becoming stronger, I was losing lean mass.

I've read posts where people say they've increased lean mass while dropping on the scale, but that's not my experience at all.
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Thank you!! I also though about eating maintenance plus exercise cals on strength days, and strictly maintenance on cardio and rest days. That way I'd still be allowing a slight deficit. I guess I'll just end up having to play around with the numbers to see what actually works for me, I'm just worried about eating maintenance or above when I still have a decent amount of fat to lose.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    you CAN build muscle on a deficit, its just a lot harder even if you are getting a lot of protein, you aren't getting the calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I didn't try while on a deficit. I went ahead and went on a surplus starting in mid-October even though I still had 10lbs or so to lose. I've gained another 10lbs since and am now starting to tapper off my bulk. Some of the gain was of course fat, not sure how many. If I'm lucky 3lbs but it could be as much as 5lbs. I don't think it's more than that, it's not very noticeable. I'll be taking pictures soon. So even while eating above maintenance the most I've gained is 7lbs of muscles and that would actually be a pretty damn good rate of gain for a woman, so it's probably more like 4-5lbs.
  • RachVR6
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback so far!!!

I want to finish slimming while also building scary girl muscles. :laugh:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle while eating in a deficit. The thing you have to watch out for is that you are getting your daily value for carbs (complex carbs, not sugar) and protein. Carbs give you the energy to use up while doing stenuous exercise (like heavier lifting) and the protein will give your muscles the amino acids to rebuild after you tear them down. It is absolutely possible to gain muscle mass while eating in a deficit, you just have to make certain you're giving your body the right types of food for the job. Message me if you have any more questions or need more information.

This is coming from personal experience btw, not just blowing smoke.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Scary girl muscles would look excellent with your sleeves! Just keep lifting, lots of protien (1gram per pound of lean body mass at minimum, more if you'd like) and keep a small calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Here's the deal...

No, but you may have small beginer gains if you are new to lifting

You should eat the cardio cals back on your alternate days or you may risk losing lean muscle if you are not new to lifting
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump. I just started lifting heavy about a month ago while eating a calorie deficit. I want to lose about 20 more lbs. The first couple weeks I dropped weight like crazy, the last couple weeks not so much. I will say I've notice a big difference in my muscles though. I'm interested to see what others say.
  • thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been in a deficeit the whole time i've been losing weight and i put on a good amount of muscle mass. I'm eating between 1600-1800 cals and eat alot of protien. 2 shakes a day plus meat protiens, eggs, chicken, fish. I read somewhere once that in a deficeit eat the amount of protein (grams) that you want to weigh. Such as 145lbs= 145grms protein.

Hope that helped!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Strength: Yes, I have built up plenty of strength in a calorie deficit.

Actual muscle mass gain: I can't tell for sure, but I don't think I did, maybe a little? The general rule is you can't build muscle mass while on a deficit unless you are new to lifting, returning from a long break (which I was at the time) or very obese. I found it considerably easier to gain muscle mass when I was eating in a surplus.
    If you lift consistently on a small deficit though, with enough protein, you will maintain a lot more of your current muscle than you will do if you lose weight through just diet and/or cardio. This is what I'm doing currently (300-400 deficit each day, ~150g protein, along with heavy lifting)

Since strength doesn't always correlate with actual muscle gained, I can't see any issue for most people with increasing strength on a deficit, unless you are severely restricting your calories.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump (Because I'm trying to figure this out right now also)
  • RachVR6
    Options

Scary girl muscles would look excellent with your sleeves! Just keep lifting, lots of protien (1gram per pound of lean body mass at minimum, more if you'd like) and keep a small calorie deficit.

Haha yes! Right now I'm sticking pretty close to 40/30/30 (p/c/f), so on days I eat a lot I'm getting in a pretty darn good amount of protein, mostly coming from eggs, chicken, fish, beans and a bit of whey protein.
  • RachVR6
    Options
    To add: I'm not new to lifting, but AM new to HEAVY lifting, if that makes any sense. I've done p90x lifting but never with more than 15lb dumbbells, but I'm new to the squat, bench press, deadlift, etc routine.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I am still fairly new to lifting heavy (started in Nov.) and I am hesitant to answer this with any certainty, but I can tell you my story. (Also bumping for others on my FL to reply :smile: )

I started lifting heavy in mid November while still at my 1200-1400 calories a day diet plan. I reached my weight goal so I went to 1600-1700 calories for a bit. (I had to play around with and decrease my maintenance calories some because of the holidays.)

Then, I started New Rules of Lifting for Women on 12/28/11. I measured and weighed and came up with an estimated BF% using the measurements. I increased my calories to 1800 a day (not counting exercise calories at all, ever) which was a 300 calorie a day deficit (on workout days) according to the book. I didn't do hardly any cardio at all from then until now. (Ha, still don't)

I measured and weighed again on 1/31/12. According to my measurements, in a month (at 1800 calories) I lost 1% BF and gained 1lb of LBM. Which may or may not even be correct/accurate.....but I've heard that you can gain muscle and lose fat as a new lifter. Again, I was eating a SLIGHT deficit. Since mid November, I had also lost an inch off my waist and an inch off my hips too. Total scale weight was down about 1.5 pounds.

I know this doesn't help much because I wasn't in a deficit the whole time but I thought I'd throw it out there. I did have substantial strength gains the whole time (but again, a new lifter). However, I did plateau on strength gains one week when I dropped my calories low in preparation for vacation.

My advice is to not worry about the scale. Use the mirror and you measurements/clothes as your guide.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I aim for a small deficit (250 - 500 calories daily), lots of protein (120 - 140 daily) and lift as heavy as I can. Am I gaining actual muscle? No, probably not. But I'm getting a ton of definition and a whole lot less jiggle. Have I lost a lot of weight? No, only about five or six pounds. However, I am down two pants sizes and I look a lot better naked :). I want to continue to lose fat but gain definition at the same time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle while eating in a deficit. The thing you have to watch out for is that you are getting your daily value for carbs (complex carbs, not sugar) and protein. Carbs give you the energy to use up while doing stenuous exercise (like heavier lifting) and the protein will give your muscles the amino acids to rebuild after you tear them down. It is absolutely possible to gain muscle mass while eating in a deficit, you just have to make certain you're giving your body the right types of food for the job. Message me if you have any more questions or need more information.

This is coming from personal experience btw, not just blowing smoke.

That's interesting, from most of what I've read focuses on protein and healthy fats to fuel muscle and complex carbs to fuel cardio. So, if your goal is to build muscle your diet focuses on high protein and good fats for your gains, but if your goal is to run long distances your diet should be higher in carbs for gains.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I second what some of the others have said on eating at a slight deficit and lifting heavy. You should see a difference in measurements and if not, then you should at least see a difference in the amount you are able to lift (which is a reward all in itself) :happy: I just recently switched to about 100 calories lower then my maintenance for an "active lifestyle" on my workout days and sedentary level for my off days. So we will see how that goes. I wish you luck!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Okay, so for now, I think I'm going to keep my deficit small. Once I hit a wall and my weights aren't increasing, I'll up to maintenance/surplus.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Okay, so for now, I think I'm going to keep my deficit small. Once I hit a wall and my weights aren't increasing, I'll up to maintenance/surplus.

Sounds like a great plan! :)

That's what I had chosen to do last year. After having a plateau in the last couple of months of my deficit, and it remaining even when I switched to maintenance :/ I figured a bit extra muscle would probably help, upped to a surplus and suddenly my lifts were all going back up! :D