ADHD makes it hard for me to exercise

Options
I try so hard just to go on a 20-30 minute walk around my neighborhood but its so barren and blah I get bored. Within minutes I and starring at CardioTrainer as the time runs willing it to go faster...it never does. the other issues is with home exercises I have every intention of preforming them I just get so distracted by everything else that I simply forget. What should I do?

Replies

• oriors
    oriors Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here I have that issue too, this is what I do, I do cardio, but REALLY instense, so I only do it for like, 5 minutes at a time (which is pushing it for me, but I manage) And it makes it a lot easier if I listen to music, or the cardio changes a lot, like the exercise stuff :}
    I will try and get some of the stuff that I do that is quick but muscle building.
    I started off with two minutes and I slowly dont mind reaching 3, and then 5, and I find also it goes a lot slower if I dont look at the timer, wich I did like evry ten seconds at the start, and now I will just go for it, end up thinking to myself, and then check like WOW 2 minutes gone already!
  • oriors
    oriors Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE0uqYW85pU&list=PLE3E8C627B7923554&feature=mh_lolz

I like this one for legs, its not SUPER hard, but you can do it at home, its fast, it changes a lot, it has music, and not loads of talking at the start, and it really is good for the legs :}
    The only thing is that its quick and doesn't do like loads of reps, but thats okay because if you want more you just press replay, I need to find more like that, the 5 mintues went by without me even noticing!

but yeh all things like that, cardio that constantly changes, quick but HARd workouts, like get the area you want to workout, and find THE MOST CHALLENGING of workouts for it, and then just to less, and then you do as much workout, but it is quicker :} Although I would say at least a minute for each otherwise you dont end up burning anything :P
  • ADDucation
    Options
    Hey queenofheartz, I hear you! In fact, I joined specifically to reply to you.

Here's two things that've been helpful for me when it comes to maintaining an exercise regime.

1. Kettlebells. They're quick, easy and effective.
    2. The 'Inner Game' of exercise. I spoke with my mate Steve Kamb about this awhile ago here:
    http://www.adducation.com.au/adhd-lifestyle/how-to-start-and-keep-exercising-and-do-the-impossible

Watch the video with him, he's incredibly switched on. He also runs http://www.NerdFitness.com, and really knows what he's talking about.

Hope that helps,

Rob
  • MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    good advise
  • LilyWise
    Options
    I have the same issue! I'm currently trying to get through the 30 day shred and it's day 4, I'm so bored! I just end up doing my own thing! very frustrating.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    1. Good Music
    2. Find something you enjoy.

I started doing New Rules of LIfting For Women. I have ADHD and this program keeps me engaged. I like numbers and setting things up. I force myself to go 15-20 min on the elliptical, but that is where good music comes in. It's a struggle but I do it because I want results!

I truly believe most people do not begin exercise because they love it. They learn to love it over time.
  • KauaiKimberly
    KauaiKimberly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try 10-Minute Trainer. Anyone can handle 10-minutes. And if you want more, you just stack another 10-minute workout (they suggest what your next would be based on what you've done.) Also, consider audio books. Before you know it, your walk will be over!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training.

Try it out.

I run outside because treadmills bore me.

I count to keep me focused.
    1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 seconds of SPRINTING
    Then 30 seconds of jogging.
    Repeat for 10-20 mins.

Someone told me its 6 times as effective as just jogging for the same amount of time.

You could also try Body Rock work outs.
    They're short and intense, and they have hundreds of work outs. So you can switch it up daily.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Try methods like You are your own gym and interval training. It bounces from activity to activity so that you natural inclinations work FOR you and not against you. I am not sure what coping methods work best for your management of ADHD. But some respond really well to intense scheduling and having preset plans. You might also want to think about insanity or P90x or any of those that have many many different videos (bodyrock) so that you are constantly doing something different.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike one day, jump rope the next, go for a walk/ run the next, ride my bike the next. I do 100 crunches a day, and pilates. I do 20 crunches, 1 pilates form, 20 crunches, Pilates form, on and on until I am done. It's hard to stay focused, but I manage.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Definitely same issue. I've found that listening to music while running on the treadmill or using the elliptical helps. Taking a class at a gym is great. As for home workouts, I make an extremely varied routine so I'm always moving but always do something different. When running or walking around my neighborhood, listen to music or a podcast. I understand how boring it can be if the scenery isn't very... scenic. lol

I enjoy exercise but my ADHD is the biggest barrier that prevents me from getting a good workout or even working out in the first place.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    I do an elliptical with a tv on it. Turn the tv on just for visual, put on my slacker radio for music, and then I go as hard and fast as I can so I don't have time to think, and then I just focus on random things and rotate between tv, slacker, people watching, staring at myself in the mirror across the way (yeah yeah), trying to see the tv all the way across the gym... whatever it takes.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Definitely same issue. I've found that listening to music while running on the treadmill or using the elliptical helps. Taking a class at a gym is great. As for home workouts, I make an extremely varied routine so I'm always moving but always do something different. When running or walking around my neighborhood, listen to music or a podcast. I understand how boring it can be if the scenery isn't very... scenic. lol

I enjoy exercise but my ADHD is the biggest barrier that prevents me from getting a good workout or even working out in the first place.

Classes are great, I love group settings. I have a hard time with home workouts because I end up getting distracted with other things I need to do, which is why I am now setting aside an allotted time for the gym. Routines and consistency are one of the biggest tools for people with ADHD.'

The biggest thing is to experiment to find what works for you. I have tried several programs, routines, and places to workout before finding what I enjoy and feel I can stick with.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I have ADD as well and the only thing that keeps me going is listening to music I like. I figure every few minutes the song will change. Do you have a playlist hooked up to cardio trainer? Also, would it be possible to watch tv while you work out? I have seen others post they workout while watching an episode of Grey's and then the time goes by quicker. Also, I feel as long as you are moving, there's nothing wrong with changing it up a bit. :)
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Due to distracting kids and homework it took me a while to actually post my reply...in that time I noticed many other said the same thing. Great minds think alike! :glasses:
  • queenofheartz44
    queenofheartz44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't realize how many people responded! I got rid of the app I think cause my old phone didn't like it too much nut I'm back now! Okay so here's a brief update; I'm down 3lbs now that I've kicked up exercise and cardio and got the implanon birth control instead of the depo shot. I am now on to running (just over a month in) and am now trying to increase my endurance and move from the walk /run method over to straight running. (goal now: run 30 minutes straight & get down to 135 lbs. 12 to go!) Thanks all of you for the support!