Do you have unsupportive people in your life?

Options
2»

Replies

• kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    yes. my sister actually was nasty with me about it. said i was making her look bad now shes the "fat sister"
    Oh man, I can't WAIT until my sister says this to me! I'd be secretly jumping up and down for joy on the inside.
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i get this to from time to time. Maybe they just don't know how to respond to the awesome things we are doing for ourselves. I just try to not let it bug me. I know I am looking and feeling better about my self and thats what matters most.

You are doing awesome!! Keep up the great work and don't let anyones comments hinder your results!!! :) Good luck with the rest of your journey!!

This!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    They're mostly supportive (family and husband especially), but some comments like you've mentioned have come from friends who haven't been able to lose weight themselves. I don't think is that they aren't happy FOR ME, but it reminds them that they aren't happy with their own weight or fitness level, and in those cases, I do try to downplay it a bit, and definitely don't provide them with updates very regularly. I don't want them to think I'm throwing my success in their faces, because I was once in their shoes, and was the heavier friend watching someone else lose weight and get complimented all the time. Its not the best feeling...so try to cut them some slack. Celebrate with MFP friends here, where you can brag a little...and keep on your own road to success!
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You don't look overweight at all. In fact, you look thin in your pictures.
    My husband is thin. It annoys me to no end when he teases that he's fat. I know he's just teasing, but it still annoys me. I AM overweight. In fact, I'll be considered obese until I lose another 1 or 2 pounds. I think it's great that you are meeting your personal weight loss goals, but you're shooting for an ideal when most people who are overweight would just like to be a normal weight. I would think it's fair to say that most people who see you don't think, "Geez, she could use to lose a few pounds." So when you expect some kind of encouragement for getting even thinner than you already are, you might be expecting a bit much from others. I know it's cliche, but happiness is inside. Not in others.
    Good luck with your goals.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My wife thinks that being overweight is a discipline problem. I'm not saying that isn't a part of it but it is by no means all of it. In one month I was able to lose 29 lbs. I weighed 340lbs at the time, she said you didn't get under 300 yet. There are some people in the world that will never get that being overweight is a lot of little issue's in one. That's why people come here, That's why I come here. Good Luck everyone.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I've started to realize that other people don't really get as excited about my life as I do. They have their own crap going on. So, I work on being proud of myself and impressed with how far I've come, and revel in the excitement of my fellow MFPers.
  • darylinny
    Options
    Not any more!!!
  • holiday99
    Options
    I sometimes feel like my mom is my unsupportive person in my life. I live with my mom and younger bro (mostly). My mom cooks such yummy dishes.. and, a lot of days she also makes deserts. I've put in foods she cooks in the recipe section of this website, and her meals are generally very healthy- full of nutrients and protein, etc. BUT, the deserts she makes are highly caloric - but sort of healthy since she puts walnuts and almonds and craisins in them. Every time I say I need to lose weight, she agrees. BUT, she then cooks up a load of food- and I feel awful if I dont eat any of it, or even some of it. :ohwell:
  • snaus70
    Options
    My in-laws believe the more fat, butter, and sugar the better, and when I used to occasionally mention I didn't want to eat something because I was watching my weight, they would jump on me about being irrational and rationing food and tell me I was weird and crazy and lecture me. Now, I say "Sorry, I just find the taste of (insert whatever food they are eating) really gross, I guess it's something irrational left over from my childhood." And they are FINE with that, I just get an "oh, okay" or "huh thats weird" and then they totally drop the subject and move on without any lectures or dirty looks. I still don't understand exactly HOW that works, but it works for me! LOL :tongue:
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i get this to from time to time. Maybe they just don't know how to respond to the awesome things we are doing for ourselves. I just try to not let it bug me. I know I am looking and feeling better about my self and thats what matters most.

You are doing awesome!! Keep up the great work and don't let anyones comments hinder your results!!! :) Good luck with the rest of your journey!!

THIS! i did have negativity around me at certain times during my weight loss journey (i lost over 70 pounds and I still have people close to me who say hurtful things or have til this day not even recognized my progress), the truth is i did not get the feedback from certain people that i wished i would have gotten, BUT i did this 100% for me. I suffered from low self esteem my entire life and finally i realized it was time for a change for myself. with that being said however, i could understand you sometimes wanting the ppl close to you to give you some motivation but just try to focus on the fact that this was done for yourself and surround yourself with positive people and ignore the rest :flowerforyou:
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you don't have great support at home. I'm always careful about sharing my successes with people who aren't ON HERE. I usually don't talk about it or weigh in front of others or even mention it unless I'm asked.

I do chronicle my progress on facebook in pictures, but that's about it, and publicly people tend to be very nice about it.

I think that it's probably not that they're not happy for you, but that they're unhappy with themselves, for whatever reason, might not even be weight related.

It's kinda sad that they can't put their personal junk aside for a hot second to tell you, "good for you."

It's something that we can't fathom others not being able to do, because losing weight is ALL ABOUT letting go of yourself and your junk and making changes. They're just not there yet. It's tough to change when everyone else is staying the same.

And it's hard to see others changing when you are unhappily staying the same. Just imagine them as little children. Mentally pat them on the head and carry on.

Congratulations on all your continued success. :happy:
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This time round I've been quite lucky so far. My mum keeps asking me about my progress and if I've lost weight and is happy for me when I have, so that's good.

My friends haven't said much or noticed much but that's OK as it isn't really noticeable yet, anyway. I do expect some negativity when it starts to show because as people have said, other people feel guilty that they aren't losing when someone else is.

I think it is hard for people who haven't had to lose weight before to be supportive, too. I think you can only really understand how hard it can be when you've been there and went through all the ups and downs like we all have on here.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You don't look overweight at all. In fact, you look thin in your pictures.
    My husband is thin. It annoys me to no end when he teases that he's fat. I know he's just teasing, but it still annoys me. I AM overweight. In fact, I'll be considered obese until I lose another 1 or 2 pounds. I think it's great that you are meeting your personal weight loss goals, but you're shooting for an ideal when most people who are overweight would just like to be a normal weight. I would think it's fair to say that most people who see you don't think, "Geez, she could use to lose a few pounds." So when you expect some kind of encouragement for getting even thinner than you already are, you might be expecting a bit much from others. I know it's cliche, but happiness is inside. Not in others.
    Good luck with your goals.
    You are right, happiness is inside, and it wasn't with me. All of clothes were tight and I didn't feel good about myself. While I may not be overweight, I was on the higher end of the normal range. That's why I decided to do something about it, FOR ME.