Vacationing....means away from my comfort zone, my gym, my m

Options
So I will be going on a vacation soon.....Not going to be able to get into the gym as much as I have been. Not going to be able to measure all my foods and scared of making the wrong choices!! Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    just relax and enjoy your vacation, we all deserve them ans work hard to get one. don't worry too much, just try to make "smart" choices and get in some sort of exercising.... i had a 10 day all inclusive vacation over new yeas and i did pretty good, i think my killer is the sugary slushy drinks. I limited them but only having water during the day and then indulging in them at dinner and evening time not all day! i tried to make smart choices, for all meals but ate food that i normally don't get too as it wouldn't be a holiday without some local foods :) i did gain 2lbs but lost that with in a few days of being home...
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am having the same fears. In a few months my fiance and I are having a destination wedding/honeymoon in Jamaica and I am nervous about everything you are questioning.

I think I am going to try to hit the gym at the resort a few times while on vacation (although I am not a gym person and usually I do Jillian Michaels dvds at home so this will be different for me) as well as just being aware of what I am eating/drinking, I don't want to be so strict with myself that I don't enjoy myself on vacation but at the same time I do not want to be too lenient either.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I agree, relax and enjoy your vacation. Common sense should kick in, you should know that a grilled chicken salad is going to be better for you than a burger and fries.

Just try and not over do it as far as alcohol goes, then get up in the mornings and go get some exercise and have some fun! Go places and see things.

Enjoy!
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    just relax and enjoy your vacation, we all deserve them ans work hard to get one. don't worry too much, just try to make "smart" choices and get in some sort of exercising.... i had a 10 day all inclusive vacation over new yeas and i did pretty good, i think my killer is the sugary slushy drinks. I limited them but only having water during the day and then indulging in them at dinner and evening time not all day! i tried to make smart choices, for all meals but ate food that i normally don't get too as it wouldn't be a holiday without some local foods :) i did gain 2lbs but lost that with in a few days of being home...

I am also going to an all inclusive...that is a good suggestion to limit the drinks to only night time!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that my changes are a lifestyle change and vacation's don't mean a change in my lifestyle (though I do believe in still indulging a bit - but again, that's part of the lifestyle).

Here are my tips:
    - bring a pair of running/workout shoes: you can go running or go for a walk anywhere!
    - check your hotel to see if there is a gym
    - bring a workout dvd with you and watch it in your room
    - pack healthy snacks: nuts, granola bars, seeds, etc
    - make intelligent dining choices 2 out of 3 meals of the day, and do what you want for that third meal
    - choose some vacation activities that keep you active
    - bring a motivational picture with you so you remember why you're on your path to fitness and why you want to stay on that path

Vacations are great psychologically, emotionally, physically. But they don't have to derail your health plans either :)
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are going, you may be getting enough exercise just having fun. Swimming, walks on the beach, diving... Other places you may be walking a lot (Disney World, etc...). If you don't mind me asking, where are you going?
  • Jaffy55806
    Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will be with my son, so theres no drinking for me plus I am not a drinker for the most part. We will be vacationing in Phoenix. I know that we are going to be walking and hiking. I have planning horse back riding one day (as much as I have a fear of them my son does not as far as I know).
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    For me, I just brace myself for restaurants knowing that I may have to be a blunt a-hole to make sure I get what I want. Most places are really cool and have no problem meeting whatever your dietary needs are, but sometimes I have to go into a bit of a rage. Anyway, I call ahead and speak to the manager and like I said, usually they are very helpful. Good luck and I hope you have a blast!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I will be with my son, so theres no drinking for me plus I am not a drinker for the most part. We will be vacationing in Phoenix. I know that we are going to be walking and hiking. I have planning horse back riding one day (as much as I have a fear of them my son does not as far as I know).
    I hear (I may be wrong) that horseback riding is good for your core. You're going to be walking and hiking (which is a great calorie burner). Just don't go overboard with the food and you will be fine. Do enjoy yourself. Even if you do gain a couple of pounds, they will come back off. Vacations are for fun and memories, don't stress over your diet.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

One thing we can never get back is time. We can make more money and we can burn more calories, but we can never make more time. Enjoy this time with your child, eat, drink water and be merry. :) Arizona is going to be lovely and all the hiking and walking will burn major calories. Dont worry about measuring your food, just, for the most part, try to make good choices, but do not forget that an icecream cone with your son could be a nice treat, for the both of you.

Unless you go on 5 or 6 vacations a year, dont worry about it.

I also have found that the week after I get back from annual vacation with my entire family at the beach, I kick back into high gear because I have spiked the week before.
  • sarabissa
    sarabissa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Same here, going to phx to visit my Mom with my hubby and kids. I dont want to lose all the hard work I have put in. I am worried about missing my workouts. Going hiking one day for sure, walks to parks, etc. Just doesnt feel like I will burn as many calories and probably will have a few more cheats than normal. Just because it wont be my normal routine. My biggest downfall is if I miss a meal or snack. If I get hungry watch out. It can take me a day to get back on track. I mean it has taken me almost 5 weeks just to lose 3 pounds.