Darn you Soda

Options
I have done lifestyle modification and changed most of my diet and I workout at least 4 days a week if not more, however I am having a hard time kicking sodas. I cant do diet soda, it makes me nauseated. I have been implementing more and more water on a daily basis, however excuse or not, my job may or may not give me a lunch break and I may be in the OR room for 4 or 5 hours just to have a five minute break or less and go right back in, so to keep my energy levels up I sugar benge on soda and a snickers bar, which sucks completely. It would be awesome if someone had some ideas

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could replace the Snickers with plain peanuts and replace the soda with a 5-Hour Energy drink or another low- to non-calorie caffeine/energy source?
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    What about brewed tea with lemon, green or black, hot or cold?
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    carbonated water and sugar free gum. Drink and chew at the same time and it can help you make the leap. good luck to you. I dropped coke for coke w splenda (good,good,good) I am now clean and been soda free for about 3 1/2 monthes now.
  • mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars in replacement of Snickers and I agree with the low cal energy drink suggestion.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I too had a hard time kicking soda. I'd quit for a while and then go back. What finally worked for me was drinking Bigelow Raspberry Tea. For about two weeks I'd drink a hot cup of tea in the morning and I also made it into iced tea to have throughout the day. Now I only have tea once in a while but I have to stay away from soda completely or I'll start drinking it by the 2L.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also, I found when I don't drink soda, I don't crave sugar as much.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    How about a faux Italian soda - Pellegrino water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime?

I like soda as a treat every now and then and I found a vanilla cream soda made by a company called "zevia" at whole foods (I was able to buy a single can to try it), made with stevia ~ it was delish!

I agree with the protein bar as a substitute for candy - make those calories count! I like Think Thin bars.
  • jltison
    Options
    I feel your pain. As a nurse there are just some days when your break is 5 minutes. I kicked my soda habit by first switching to Stevia sodas and fruit juice and carbonated water. Then I replaced the soda with Ice tea both green and black. The caffeine helped keep the energy up. A healthier choice than the candy bar are, Luna bars, Cliff bars, and Kind bars.
  • ridgellmomof3
    ridgellmomof3 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone I appreciate it! I will try these options. I know soda is the culprit from losing more weight! You guys have been a big help!
  • srp18kat
    srp18kat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya! Regular soda is my only vice....and I can't stand diet soda! Mt. Dew was my go to drink. Now I like Mr. Pibb which isn't much better. I try not to drink it everyday and if I do, only have 1 can/day.
  • Laceypalooza
    Options
    Anytime I felt thirsty, or craved any carbonation, I starting to drink water like it was going out of style. I started to drink it with my meals, and anytime I even LOOKED at a fizzy drink. After a few weeks, I didn't even want it anymore. Of course, if its the caffeine you want, black coffee or green tea. I love both, so I drink either or in the morning. I'm not too much of a candy person, but when I want some protein or am feeling a bit hungry and don't have that much time, I'll eat a Clif or Luna bar. The cookie-dough luna bars are super good :)