Too sleepy

Options
Ok, I have had an issue the last couple months or so. I try to work out at least 15 min everyday, most days 30 minutes on a bike or elliptical. But then I get home and I am in bed by 8 (if I can stay awake that long). I get up around 6:00 am every morning so I am getting plenty of sleep but I am just so exhausted every night. Isn't exercise supposed to boost my metabolism and help with the fatigue? I don't understand how I can be so tired. Help!

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Maybe the sleep you are getting isn't quality sleep? Are you getting all your nutrients?
    I cut out caffeine completely about months ago, if i want coffee or pop now it has to be decaf and my sleeping has been so much better quality, don't know if you drink any caffeine?
  • kidbxrs
    kidbxrs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too have this issue. i exercise more than that. 30 minutes elliptical 3 times a week and Zumba 3 times a week for 60 minutes. I am so sleepy was in bed at 9:15 last night and I get up at 6:30 to 6:45..... I have been hearing a lot of people say that there is a such thing as to much sleep???? They say they just drag if they get more than 6 hours of sleep some say 7. Im getting around 9 never less than 8. Seems like you are getting the same amount to closer to 10 hours of sleep. I am going to try and stay up longer and see if that will help so i am getting a little less sleep. I have to try something. I can't take this exhaustion. I hope you find a solution as well.
  • vabrewer33
    Options
    No coffee and sometimes a Sprite mid morning but that is it..and I know I don't get quality sleep-I am up every two hours to pee (soo annoying!) so you are probably right that I just am not getting quality and that is why I have to compensate with how long. Just puts a cramp in being young and fun when I have an early bedtime :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor....I had this issue...found out I am hypothyroid...
  • mlissrae
    Options
    Definitely check with your doc, but I too had this issue. I had an extreme vitamin D deficiency.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OK - two things

1) are you eating enough, i.e. eating all your recommended calories and at least some of your exercise calories and

2) why do you need to pee all night? Do you drink most of your water in the evenings? I had this problem but have started getting my 8 glasses in before 5pm and then just having more if I feel thirsty and I now pee before bed and can sleep ALL night.

:-)
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I only get like this when I don't eat enough carbs to fuel me (quality carbs) but for the level of exercise you are doing so long as you are having a good quality diet and eating all your calorie allowance then, quality of sleep could be one issue but always good to get checked out.
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have the SAME problem and it is SUPER annoying. I get up at 5am to workout every morning, go to work 9-530, pick up my kids and once I get them in bed by 9pm I'm exhausted. I just figured it's because I'm a single mom to a 10 and 2 y/o.

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think the advice to check with your doctor is good advice. Also, I've heard a lot of people on here say how helpful multivitamins are. But your fatigue sounds like it's impacting your life, and may warrant a visit to the doctor. Good luck!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor....I had this issue...found out I am hypothyroid...

^^^^This was the case for me too. EXTREME fatigue felt like I was in a sleepy fog all day, couldn't wait till I got home from work to take a 2 hour nap then get up to eat and go back to bed. A small 0.075 thyroid pill makes ALL the difference in the world....well now if I am tired it is from lack of sleep or exercise.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've taken a quick look at your diary. I see you don't log everything or even every day but from what you have logged you are generally under calories and not eating any fresh fruit and veg. You need these items in your diet, if you aren't getting them already.
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked??? I have a hypo thyroid and if it goes untreated, it can make you exhausted even when you are not doing much. I was sleeping 16 hours a day, before I was diagnosed. A little meds and I perk right up.
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Low iron could be another culperate!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You're not logging all of your foods so it's hard to tell, but just by looking, you are eating way too much sugar, not getting nearly enough protein, and eating a ton of carbs. The sprites probably don't help either. The sugar rush makes you go waaaay up and then crash later.

You need good lean sources of protein to keep you steady. Sometimes going to bed early is good, but we are both young and if we feel tired all the time, it is likely the fuel we're putting in our bodies.

Make changes there first, but consider seeing a doc also. You shouldn't have to pee every 2 hours when you're sleeping?
  • vabrewer33
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I do have low thyroid and I'm on medication for it now but maybe it needs dosage adjustment. As for the water issue, I only seem to realize i'm thirsty after work so by then I am so dehydrated that I tank (1-2 bottles between 6 and 8) I am sure that is mostly to blame-I just need to focus on drinking water during the day so i'm not so thirsty at night. I will try to log my dinner and see if I can lower my carbs and sugar and up my protein.