insanity or p90x ??

Options
Hi im debating which one of these programs to do. Just was wondering which one this great community prefers and why.

Replies

• lilfurson
    Options
    I've never sweat as much as when I did Insanity but I never was able to stick with it for more than 2 weeks. I did 2 cycles of P90X last year and had amazing results. So my opinion is P90X
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    LOL, someone else posted the exact same thing about 10 minutes ago.

Insanity is mainly cardio, good for burning calories.
    P90X incorporate weight training and is good for building strength.

What's your goal?
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    p90x to make muscles, insanity to burn calories.
    I am starting p90x in the end of March... the lean program, mostly because I have it already. Otherwise I would do Insanity.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've never done insanity just p90x but heard insanity is more cardio than p90x thus you'd probably drop weight more so than building up muscle I'm guessing. P90x has a day or 2 of cardio but focuses more on strength and toning up
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • rsteele66
    rsteele66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my goal is to lose a little more fat but am also ready to start building some muscle
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I did a combination of both. I agree with the comments about Insanity being the ticket to burn through some weight. The P90X is good for getting that definition. Whichever program you use (or both), just be sure to keep track of your diet here and you will get great results. Having done those, I'm now doing P90X2. Shortly I'm going to switch over such that I'll just mix the three programs together to keep it interesting. Just get yourself into a routine, stick with it, and you'll get results. Insanity is a tough program, no doubt, but it's a good one.
  • Rachel122810
    Rachel122810 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I havent done P90X and I love Insanity. With Insanity you do not need equipment and the cycle is 60 days as opposed to 90 days for P90X
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Depends on how You plan on doing P90X but both are "cardio". P90X is cardio with weights and Insanity is pure bodyweight. Did P90X 1 and half and my impression is that pullups and pushups in P90X is the only thing that counts everything else is just plain calorie burn.
    If You want to loose weight both are good but if You push those workouts You need to eat or You will be close to overtraining and loosing tons of muscle.
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    I'm normally a very active person that trys a lot of different dvds, activities etc...and I'm on day 9 of P90X and I can already feel changes when I touch my legs and see changes in my upper abdomen. I know that sounds crazy, hope this helps you in your decision!
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing Insanity to lose some poundage, then I'm considering getting p90x to rip it up!
  • RobinRisky1
    Options
    Hi. I have both P90X and Insanity and have done them both. In my opinion, P90X is slower paced and focuses more on building muscle and strength. Insanity is crazy cardio, and I'm usually in a pool of sweat at the end of it. I have worked out regularly for years (hard, intense workouts) and didn't think any video would measure up to what I was already doing. Insanity is hard and gives me a great workout. The only downside is that the workouts are long, and I have to set aside more time to do them.
  • rsteele66
    Options
    looks like im being swayed towards p90x.
  • rsteele66
    Options
    how long are the workouts for insanity?
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    P90X would be my vote. I felt amazing about my body. I am currently in week 5 of insanity and i am not loving it. But I am a finisher.

insanity workouts are 45min - 1 hr P90X are usually an hour although longer on thursdays.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity twice and I love it! I had great results, too.
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of Insanity and am having great results. Life changing stuff. I've never done P90X - because it requires weights and I'm broke - so I do the resistance stuff with Insanity instead.

Insanity all the way!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Asa you can see, you will find people in both courts. Really depends on your, what you want. like etc.

I Love P90x, and P90X2.

I lose good inches with P90x every time And every time is still challenging, though I do advanced now, add on weights on all cardio etc, But still have goals to improve on everytime.

I have done it complete many times, classics and doubles - scale weight does not always change as much each round, - depends on many factors there - but clothing size, inch change, tightness , leanness, firmness, strength gains - all changes dramatically . More important then scale numbers on overall body changes.

I actually am about 15 lbs heavier now at my current "goal size" then last time I was at this size 25 years ago. But I look even smaller, tighter, leaner, then I did in my 20s, at same "clothing size". Difference is added muscle, and lower bodyfat vs when I was younger with less muscle.

I personally have the best body composition changes, and fat loss with a combo of strength training with heavy weights, low reps and cardio mixed in.

With Insanity, I would loss to much muscle mass, which I don't want to do. Worked to hard for it, and starting to have great definition, and some carving in abs, legs and arms. Also do not like the knee stress an program of that type would create for me personally.

I have a good amount of muscle mass, and feel P90X is better to build and keep your lean muscle mass, while helping you also loss fat, and rebuild body.

Last round I lost 20 lbs, doing doubles - almost at my goal size now. ( I use other routines for part of extra cardio, or treadclimber)

This may help:

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side

I have done other workouts with Shawn T, thought not Insanity. But have seen it complete, and am familiar with it.

I have also done Rushfit also.
  • knl124
    knl124 Posts: 44
    Options
    I did P90x twice and had never felt better about myself! I had great results both times. I didn't think it was going to work as well the second time but found out it was better because I knew what I was doing. My sister does insanity and it is a great cardio workout but she said she doesn't seem to be building muscle. I would go with P90x!
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do both. I like parts of each. My hubby did P90X and then did Insanity. He lost alot of muscle mass that he gained from P90X doing just straight cardio. By doing both you will acheive both. Now granted you wont gain tons of mass but I would run a small caloric deficit to lean out, not too much just enough to get the job done. Also, doing weights will increase your testosterone levels which helps with weight loss.

Good luck!