Bah! New baby coming; what do I do??

Options
JHoersten2
JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
In 6 weeks, I'll be a new daddy, and I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I've got the essentials I suppose, crib, clothes, bottles, diapers, etc, so the baby will pretty much take care of itself, right? haha - Change it, feed it, let is sleep. Not much else to worry about?

I get to play stay-at-home-dad, so I'm sure I'll have a journey in store. This will be quite the change from daily gym trips and playing PC games though. Anything I really need to know? Am I in for any surprises? I need to know!!

My childcare potential is presumably sub-par from what's required. Uh oh.

-JHoersten2
http://noob-dad.com

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Nothing can prepare you for parenthood. You just have to kind of figure it out on the fly :smile: My babies slept a lot - for the first few weeks - and then they woke up and I was all 'Whoa, what do I do with them now??' But it works out. Try to enjoy the ride!
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You'll learn as you go. All new parents feel nervous. You'll be a pro in no time. Congratulations!
  • MIKE1SS
    Options
    best advice I can give is take a break sometimes my big guy had acid reflux and he would scream for hours, which can get to you . I learned to just let him cry and walk away for a few minutes or wear earphones

also enjoy every second they grow fast mine are 2 and 4 and it went quick

oh and look into the ferber method when the baby is little bigger

Good Luck and God Bless
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    A lot of YMCA's offer childcare at no or low cost while you workout, for up to 2 hours a day. I'm pretty sure that is the only way I survived the first few years. BTW I never even changed a diaper before I had kids, and I learned so there is hope. Enjoy being a daddy, but don't forget to hold onto some of the things that make you you. Best of luck!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Learn to function with little sleep. I felt like I was sleep-walking the first four months! You will do fine, just set routines, you'll be glad you did!
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby, Its truly is a learn as you go experience, youll find out what works and what doesn't. The best advise i can provide you is have a support system. It will get tiring and you will need a break from time to time. Plan date nights, or time for your self.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! As someone else said, nothing truly prepares you for parenthood. You just jump in and you "do". You will be fine, none of us got instruction manuals and you somehow figure it all out.

Sleep when baby sleeps, that was always hard for me to do. I always tried to get other things done and should have rested. Give lots of love and cherish every single moment because they FLY by. My baby girl will be 8 soon and I swear I was just rocking her to sleep :(

ENJOY!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS, the best way to learn is on the job training. every new parent is nervous and unsure just try to relax. If you are uptight you will make the baby fussy if you are relaxed the baby will be more relaxed. My best advice would be to have a back up person you can call if you need help possibly your mom, mother inlaw, sister, friend? Preferably someone close but if not possibly at least they can be there for you via phone. You will do fine. ENJOY
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!

babies are awsome - such a fun (and trying) time - I agree you'll have to learn on the fly - but remember - lots of gyms have daycare too - check and see what ages they take - you can keep up with your workouts..

and mine slept great too - so, house cleaning and workouts during nap times.

good luck and enjoy every minute!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Buy the book "Happiest Baby on the Block". Seriously. :bigsmile:
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps ( I have 2)
    when a baby cries

1. feed, if not then
    2. Change diaper, if not then
    3. Burp, if not then
    4. Sleepy, if not then
    5. bored and wants your attention, if not then
    6. check if Colic or fever (If colic, gripe water, If fever under 6 months= hospital, if fever over 8 months Tylenol, after 8 months if persists for 24 hrs go to hospital)
  • curvylady1
    curvylady1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sweet that you are getting nervous. =)

It will all come to you...you'll make a milion mistakes and it will be OK.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the baby feeds off of your emotions... if baby is crying and you get frustrated trying to calm the baby down... baby is likely to cry even more.

If you feel like you need to put the baby down in the crib and walk away for a few minutes, don't feel bad.

Sleep when the baby sleeps - dishes, laundry, cleaning, PC Games - those can all wait!

Can you tell that my 1 year old was a very colicky baby - LOL!! He is great now but man were those first couple of months tough! Night and day difference between my 3 year old and my 1 year old!!!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    You need to watch the episode of Pregnant In Heels with the stay at home dad in it. He never even really held/took care of a baby before. He had to do chores and such and go to the store with the baby. It wasn't his baby, the lady brought in a friend's baby so he could practice.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! You will learn as you go! The only advice that comes to mind right now is if it is a boy, and you are changing his diaper, always keep his weenie covered. Make sure you have the new diaper unfolded and ready to go, as soon as you undo the dirty diaper, cover his weenie with the new diaper, finish cleaning him off, then slide the diaper under his bottom. ALWAYS KEEP THE WEENIE COVERED UNLESS YOU LIKE PEE IN YOUR EYES!!! If it is a girl, either slide the new diaper underneath immediately or make sure you have her on a changing pad because they pee with diapers off too. They also like to poop on their daddy's. My daughter pooped during the first diaper change her dad did 3 times. It made me happy.

Good luck!! You will get it!!!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    One: Get a great baby carrier (Beco, Kozy mei tai, BabyHawk, or an AngelPack). Then pop the baby in a go for a long walk every day. It's what saved my sanity with both of my kids..... Babies love the outdoors, and being held, and close to you.... it's the best of all worlds- you get some fresh air and exercise, and they get the change of pace and the outdoor time they love.

Two: Have confidence in yourself. You can and will figure out what is going on.... the more unsure you are, the more the baby will feel it. The more confident you are, the easier it will be to figure out what causes each "catastrophe."

Have fun!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! My son is now 1 yrs old but, my husband was a stay at home day for a few months. He was so nervious in the begining but, as he puts it now. Everything comes natural. Being a parent is the most rewarding job eva!!

Enjoy this journey!!
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    In 6 weeks, I'll be a new daddy, and I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I've got the essentials I suppose, crib, clothes, bottles, diapers, etc, so the baby will pretty much take care of itself, right? haha - Change it, feed it, let is sleep. Not much else to worry about?

I get to play stay-at-home-dad, so I'm sure I'll have a journey in store. This will be quite the change from daily gym trips and playing PC games though. Anything I really need to know? Am I in for any surprises? I need to know!!

My childcare potential is presumably sub-par from what's required. Uh oh.

-JHoersten2
    http://noob-dad.com

All I can recommend is get out a lot, especially starting while the baby is young. It'll help keep you from going stir crazy. I am in a meetup group for parents, and it has been a real life saver. If you haven't looked into it, try babywearing. It keeps the baby happy by being close to you, and you can have a wrap or something that keeps your hands free.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    its not near as hard you think. we had our first one and then got pregnant with our 2nd 5 months later and its still not as hard as people say. They are now 1 and 2 and its not that bad.

congrats
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The best part is, most of what you are worried about will come naturally once the baby comes. I had the same worries when I was about to be a new mom. I wasn't freaked about giving birth, I was freaked about bring the baby home and caring for it. But as soon as she was born, I just knew- it all just clicked. So relax, its going to come naturally to you. Having a newborn is tough, not gonna lie. But your so in love there is nothing you would rather do. Once the baby is a bit older, you can find a sitter for a couple of hours while you have some time to yourself and go to the gym.
    Anyhow, I'm jealous. I would love to stay home with my kiddies. Enjoy while they are little...they grow fast!