Protein shakes?

Options
I have taken herbalife a year ago (nov 2010-april 2011) - on successfully lost weight and sexy bod.. but since its too expensive to depend on "herbalife" itself... i gained it all back... now on 2012.. i'm looking for alternative replacement for Herbalife shakes which will help me lose weight but not a budget wrecker. help!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No shake will specifically do anything to make you lose weight other possibly up your protein amount, which could provide more satiety and protein has the highest TEF among macros.

In the end it's all about creating a caloric deficit
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Probably the smarter thing to do is choose to eat healthier. I sometimes drink protein shakes, but they are a bonus rather than a replacement to my caloric intake.
  • Tmarinari
    Options
    i use shakes only when i do not have time to sit down and eat luch. Just as a meal replacer. once or twice a week. It is better than not eating at all.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I say go for natural eating, water and exercise. Best way to lose weight! And it's a lot more permanent than any shake diet out there.
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology (all natural) once a day. Either for lunch or breakfast. It is $4 a serving, but I pay more for my kids hot lunches, so I can justify one serving a day.
  • JHawkins7
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters that you cannot let a protein shake make the miracle of weight loss happen.. hpwever that being said, if you do plan on incorporate one into your diet and exercise program, I would reccomend Muscle Milk Light. It is cheapest to buy off Amazon versus in GNC stores and if you purchase the 3.3 pound bottle it's not TOO expensive.
  • jheath123
    Options
    I have a lot of friends that swear upon and use that Visalus, personally I tried it and didn't seem like it was worth the price of 2 bucks a shake. Besides that it may be lower in calories but its also lower in proteins. Its mostly about calorie deficit like the others said. You can find a decent low priced shake mix high in protein at Meijers or Walmart and mix it with a low/no fat milk or soy milk.....and lots of cardio.
  • daisydieter
    Options
    My afternoon snack, or really rather mini-meal is a Vanilla Whey Protein shake made with juice and frozen fruit with some ground flax seed sometimes thrown in. It fills me up until dinner and is full of stuff my body needs.

I buy the Vanilla EAS but only use half of a scoop as I get enough protein throughout the day. It is $12 a canister and I get 2 weeks worth of shakes (12 scoops) out of it.
  • andier1686
    Options
    No shake will specifically do anything to make you lose weight other possibly up your protein amount, which could provide more satiety and protein has the highest TEF among macros.

In the end it's all about creating a caloric deficit

tef means?... sorry don't know what it is.. :blushing:
  • andier1686
    Options
    My afternoon snack, or really rather mini-meal is a Vanilla Whey Protein shake made with juice and frozen fruit with some ground flax seed sometimes thrown in. It fills me up until dinner and is full of stuff my body needs.

I buy the Vanilla EAS but only use half of a scoop as I get enough protein throughout the day. It is $12 a canister and I get 2 weeks worth of shakes (12 scoops) out of it.

sometimes i feel full.. and when i feel full i tend to eat more... until i'm bloated... so that's why i'm thinking of taking a shake as a replacement.. at least i may not "eat more"... is it mind over food strategy?
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake from Walmart. I mix it in a blender with ice and water, its only 140calories I think I use it as a morning or afternoon snack. It definetly helps keep me full.
    Ive also heard Shakeology is a good meal replacement shake (from beachbody.com)
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just accepted your friends request.
    Have to break it to you sweetie but there are no magic shakes, drinks, bars, food, pills, sprinkles, drops or shots. Eat well balanced meals and exercise hard. Trust me I have tried most "diets" (hate that word now) and waisted my time, money and hope on them and guess what, every pound I ever lost on any of them came back eventually. I had to change my stinkin thinkin. Maybe you should change your way of thinking and don't use the word diet. Make healthy choices for a lifestyle change that will last. Replace your old habbits with new and healthy ones. I'm half way to my initial goal and I feel so much better knowing that it was my hard work and good choices that got me here. It's alot cheaper too.
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    Go on bodybuilding.com which is a highly reputable sight and check out Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey. It has been voted protein of the year for like 4 straight years. There are 2 lb tubs for $25.99 for 28 servings , that is about $ .93 a serving for a great quality protein with no bloat or gas.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    I have tried all sorts of shakes and pills and fad diets over the years. Now I just eat fresh fruit, vegetables, fish and lean meat within my calorie goal. I am finally starting to feel like I am getting somewhere.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Isopure Zero Carb Protein - Protein Shake $42.00 on line 3 lb bottle mix with water 50 grams protein and work your *kitten* off at the gym burn more then you eat, that simple. There is no magic potion
  • stefkhan
    stefkhan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I normally drink an EAS Myoplex Lite (French Vanilla) for breakfast in the morning. Only 170 calories and contains 20 grams of high quality protein. I'm not a big breakfast person, so this is a healthy way for me to ensure breakfast in my tummy, without any preparation. I buy the pre-packaged boxes, a 4 pack is normally around $7, which is pretty reasonable for breakfast. There is also the protein powder version available, but I've never tried it.
  • gatrjeny
    gatrjeny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others on this post that it's better to just do healthy eating, portion control, etc. BUT having been through all sorts of diets, I understand sometimes it's easier to have a protein shake than to think about food and what you're going to cook/buy/prepare, and with how much of what, and what about flavor, and what about sides, and what if I use a tablespoon of oil or some sugar - how many calories is that? While myfitnesspal makes it real easy to calculate calories and make healthy eating decisions, sometimes you just don't have the time!!!

Ever since I started tracking on here, I do a much better job of controlling my food and portions. But when I'm on the go, I drink a meal replacement shake. I've been using visalus body by vi, and it tastes great and at $49 for 30 servings, it's just a little over $1 per shake. I LOVE Shakeology so much more, but my budget gets in the way of $4 a shake, particularly since I sometimes do 2 shakes a day because my schedule is so crazy. So, if you're interested in a low-cost meal replacement shake, you can try visalus (my sister sells them if you're interested, and so do a bunch of other people) or the special k protein shake ($2-$3 per serving).

Good luck!:drinker:
  • jheath123
    Options
    I get one called whey isolate super advanced 60g protein and about 16 bucks for 30 servings.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My favorites are EAS CarbAdvantage, Premier Nutrition and Wonderslim. The first two are available at Sam's Club and Costco. The last is online ordering only -- I only get these because it has a bunch of different flavors (that are all quite tasty) and certain flavors are under 100 mg of sodium.

Premier Nutrition is 30 grams per serving and it has the best taste I have ever found in a protein shake.