is it normal to have an extra good loss now & again?

Options
so i've been here a month, been losing fairly consistantly 2lbs a week - which is nice! :smile:
then this last week i've suddenly dropped 4lbs (double) yet i've changed nothing significantly to explain it ...

now whilst i'm thinking 'YAY!' i'm also concerned that i'll pull a zero next week :frown:

i've not been here long enough to see patterns or to know which blips are normal, so i thought i'd ask!

or is this a really strange thing to be worried about? :embarassed:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Assuming your goal is weight loss, yes.
  • minnie_the_minx
    Options
    :laugh: so i'm being strange?!

yes i wanna lose weight, but i wanna do it right & in a healthy way, not too fast & have it all come back on...
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Seems you've encountered what I tend to call the "whoosh effect". Could be lots of things that caused you to lose a bit more, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It is normal to have up weeks and down weeks, as your body changes composition from fat to muscle (if you are exercising, as well as controlling diet).
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It happens! I go up before TOM, and whoosh down right after.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    :laugh: so i'm being strange?!

yes i wanna lose weight, but i wanna do it right & in a healthy way, not too fast & have it all come back on...

Weight doesn't come back because you lose it too fast. Weight comes back when people do "diets" that don't teach anything about long-term weight maintenance.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. But in the end it seems to always even out, so don't get down on yourself next week if you're back to 2lb or even 1lb loss.

I lost 6 lbs last week, I usually average 3 per week. But this week, unless something drastic happens, feels like a 2lb week.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    weight also comes back from a blunting of the metabolism due to sky high deficits causing muscle loss. then an individual tries to maintain but their maintenance is much lower due to the lowered metabolism and gain weight when they attempt to eat an appropriate amount.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I can generally tell when I'm going to have a really good weight loss day. It usually happens after ... a really ... er ... good bathroom visit. Not sure how else to say it! :S
  • minnie_the_minx
    Options
    okay, thanks for the replies & info everyone, i guess it sounds odd to be worried about a good loss,
    but like i say, i wanna do this right, so it's good to compare notes :smile:
    i'm relieved to hear that it happens to other people & that things even out :smile:

& lol @ 'whoosh effect' i like that!
  • Zalitharia
    Zalitharia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal. Some weeks I go up, some weeks I go down, some weeks I stay the same.

Two weeks ago I gained 3 pounds (I had all you can eat sushi the night before weigh-in day), but this week I lost 4 pounds. It all works out in the end as long as the general trend is downward.

What I found helpful is to graph my weight one day every week (I do Monday morning). That way if I get frustrated about gaining one week, or if I start to feel like I have hit a plateau, I can look at the graph and see there is still a downward trend. Seeing that trend reminds me how far I've already come, and motivates me to keep going. Also, if I really have hit a plateau I can see it and know it's time to make some changes. My graph started in Dec, 2010 and today I'm really proud to show it to people.
  • minnie_the_minx
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal. Some weeks I go up, some weeks I go down, some weeks I stay the same.

Two weeks ago I gained 3 pounds (I had all you can eat sushi the night before weigh-in day), but this week I lost 4 pounds. It all works out in the end as long as the general trend is downward.

What I found helpful is to graph my weight one day every week (I do Monday morning). That way if I get frustrated about gaining one week, or if I start to feel like I have hit a plateau, I can look at the graph and see there is still a downward trend. Seeing that trend reminds me how far I've already come, and motivates me to keep going. Also, if I really have hit a plateau I can see it and know it's time to make some changes. My graph started in Dec, 2010 and today I'm really proud to show it to people.
    now THAT is a really great idea!

i'm gonna do a graph, thanks for sharing that! :happy:
  • danielleneumann
    danielleneumann Posts: 15 Member
    Options

now THAT is a really great idea!

i'm gonna do a graph, thanks for sharing that! :happy:

I do the exact same thing. YES it is normal for the "whoosh"ing of weight lol. Happens to me all the time!