Leftover Rotisserie Chicken

Options
karah0011
karah0011 Posts: 54 Member
I have some leftover chicken and wondering if anyone had any ideas for dinner tonight???

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Options
    There is a recipe on line here about hungry girl's chicken enchilada soup that sounds amazing. Or make some chicken chili, really good. Or curry chicken salad. Or forget it... I just made myself hungry :ohwell:
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe on line here about hungry girl's chicken enchilada soup that sounds amazing. Or make some chicken chili, really good. Or curry chicken salad. Or forget it... I just made myself hungry :ohwell:

Agreed! Also, chicken noodle soup is good. Chicken meatloaf, chicken meatballs, chicken tacos. chicken nachos. :D
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    When I had leftover chicken I made southwest chicken soup.
    sautee some onions, garlic and whatever veggies you might have (celery, whatever in the fridge).
    add some black beans and corn if you have them.
    add the chopped chicken and some chicken stock, and maybe a tin of tomatoes.
    Also add some hot sauce or sala if you like them.
    salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
  • hicenogle
    hicenogle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I either make chicken salad for lunch or chicken tacos. But these soups sound awesome, too...thanks for sharing, y'all!
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You can always rake the chicken (ie. scrap it with forks) and use the meat on a salad.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    i usually put leftover chicken into alfredo. nom nom!
  • cheekyseagles
    cheekyseagles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A Vietnamese chicken noodle salad with nuoc cham sauce
  • Aimelish70
    Aimelish70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I made chicken tortilla soup off a rotisserie chicken last night. Chicken Stock, lemon juice, lime juice, zucchini, half an onion in large cubs (mostly to flavor soup) squash, red and yellow bell peppers, salt and pepper and whatever seasoning you would like to kick it up a knotch.

I make my own tortilla strips, then you can add avocado, onions, shredded sharp cheese to the top once you have spooned the soup into the bowl. You can add any type of soup seasoning, I keep it simple with this soup since the chicken and vegetables have a lot of flavor. You can freeze the left over soup for later too. Yum

Oh yes, and we love spicy so I add Tapatio to my bowl for the final touch. :wink:
  • karah0011
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the ideas! I think I'm going for the chicken tacos tonight with green chili! I'm from NM so we eat everything with chili! :) Thanks!
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Chicken enchilada lasagna (casserole) - from 100 Days of Real Food blog

12 whole-grain corn tortillas
    •1 “all natural” rotisserie chicken from Earth Fare (or similar store) or boil your own raw whole organic chicken or 4 chicken breasts
    •1 cup of cooked brown rice
    •1 cup of frozen corn kernels
    •3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
    •Chili powder
    •Ground cumin
    •3 cups organic canned tomato sauce (with no salt added if you can find it)
    •1 – 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (depending on if you like a little spice)
    •Ground cinnamon
    •Monterey Jack cheese
    •Optional: sour cream, cilantro, avocado or guacamole

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Wrap corn tortillas in foil and warm in the oven while you prepare everything else.

Shred cooked chicken using forks. Mix in 3 tablespoons tomato paste, ½ cup grated cheese, rice, frozen corn kernels (no need to defrost them), 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon ground cumin.

For the sauce combine 3 cups tomato sauce, pepper, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder and heat through, keeping warm until needed.

Remove tortillas from oven and switch on broiler to high. Now with most enchilada recipes you have to individually wrap up each tortilla with the filling, but why go through all of that effort when you can just layer it like lasagne and the end result still tastes the same?

Using two separate square or round baking dishes start to distribute the ingredients in the following order:
    1. Sauce (spread a little out on bottom of baking dishes)
    2. Tortilla layer (I used 2 for each tortilla layer)
    3. About a quarter of chicken mixture (for each dish)
    4. More sauce
    5. Another tortilla layer
    6. The rest of chicken mixture
    7. Another tortilla layer
    8. The last of the sauce
    9. Grated cheese on top

Now, for the extra casserole that you are going to freeze go ahead and stop here. Cover it, label it, and throw it into the freezer. When you decide to defrost it later then you can pick things back up with the last broiling step below (after it has been defrosted).

Put the casserole under the broiler and broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and it is heated through. Serve with cilantro, avocado/guacamole and enjoy!

I used black beans instead of rice and salsa verde instead of tomato paste. And since I used leftover chicken, I only made one.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Chicken and dumplings!!!

Mix together a can of low fat cream of chicken soup with a few cups of chicken broth and as many diced veggies as you have (or a bag of frozen mixed veggies). Let all of that simmer until the veggies are soft then toss in your chicken. Then take a tube of refrigerated biscuit dough, cut them into fourths, and gently press them down in the broth/veggie mixture. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the "dumplings" cook through.

It tastes SO decidant but is surprisingly decent in terms of calories and is loaded with protein!
  • karah0011
    Options
    I make chicken enchilidas ALL the time, so I need something different. But I love this version! THANKS! Will use next time!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I always make chicken salad with my leftover chicken.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What I used to make. Now the sodium might be off the charts for me...

Tortilla Soup

3 cups shredded pork or chicken
    2 15 oz. cans black beans un-drained
    1 15 oz. can Mexican stewed tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes
    1 cup salsa
    14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
    Tortilla chips
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    sour cream

Combine all ingredients, except chips, cheese, and sour cream.
    In a large pot and let simmer at least 20 minutes, (but the longer the better)
    To serve, place a handful of chips into each bowl and ladle soup over chips,
    top with cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice, chicken and diced tomatoes with green chile peppers all mixed.Taste great!!!
  • orchidsand
    Options
    You are lucky to some left over!!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like to mix chicken with onions and peppers for fajitas with a little cheese added...then the next night add the leftovers from that to spaghetti sauce with or without pasta topped with a tiny bit of mozzerella. very tastey and I dont get burned out on one style of food.
  • MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would make chicken tacos, cook a corn tortilla in 1 tsp (or even 1/2 a tsp) canola oil, brown on both sides, heat up chicken, assemble tacos with meat and veggies, hot sauce (love love love cholula) and a lowfat cheese. I had this for dinner tonight from some chicken I made in the crockpot and shredded.
  • HappyMommyTo2
    Options
    Ooh! I have a great recipe, I didn't read all of the replies, so forgive me if I'm duplicating.

Chicken and Zucchini Tostadas
    Shredded meat from 1/2 a rotisserie chicken
    1/2 jar of green chili salsa
    1 small zucchini, diced
    1 small onion, diced
    1/2 cup grated cheese (pepper jack, cheddar, etc)
    Corn tortillas
    EVOO

Lightly brush tortillas with olive oil and toast in the oven. 375F turning once until lightly golden and crisp.
    Add 1 Tablespoon oil to a pan and sauté onion and zucchini until soft, add salsa and chicken.
    Top each tortilla with chicken mixture and a sprinkling of cheese. Toast again until cheese is melted.

My kids beg me to make these, they are so packed with flavor and super easy to make. Reheats well for a great lunch. Can be made with chicken breasts, but the flavor added by rotisserie is wonderful!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    chicken tetrazinni!!!!!!