are you a closet binge-eater?

Options
I toy with the idea that I have body image issues, but if I do they are not ultra-drastic/ life threatening. I'm in the average range for stats. Its just sometimes I think I fall into phases of binge-eating. I haven't gone to the dr about it. when i've approached drs in the past about nutrition concerns and questions I always been written off, saying i'm fine and don't worry about it. **frustrating! Like since I'm not worse off I'm not worth their time. (even though I'm paying! arg)

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I used to be! I'm making healthier choices now.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Not so much with the closeted. Working on it. But... If you think you need help then you need to scream until someone listens.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Used to be! Not anymore..

I remember eating on the way home an entire Wendy's meal then eating dinner 45 minutes later like it was nothing, then in the evening after everyone went to bed eating the entire box of cookies or crackers then hiding the box in the bottom of the trash *SMH* :noway: :cry: :mad: How could I have been so stupid?
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I used to be, as a result of "recovering" from bulimia but not really dealing with the issues that caused it. It's something I still struggle with now but focusing less on "dieting" and just making healthier choices is helping a lot. So is analyzing my feelings about what I am looking for from food, and finding other ways to get that feeling that aren't caloric. :)

Binge eating is being taken a lot more seriously by therapists these days though so perhaps try looking for one who specializes in eating disorders -- NOT saying you are disordered!! -- but someone from that specialty will maybe understand some more. Good luck! x
  • aweightymatter
    Options

I remember eating on the way home an entire Wendy's meal then eating dinner 45 minutes later like it was nothing, then in the evening after everyone went to bed eating the entire box of cookies or crackers then hiding the box in the bottom of the trash *SMH* :noway: :cry: :mad: How could I have been so stupid?

Yep! Worst feeling. When I see people complain that they "binged" because they overate by a couple hundred calories I always think, "Oh, you do NOT know a real binge," lol.... Have to laugh so I don't cry ;)
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    I tend to fall in that category at times, its usually with carbs, sometimes i feel like i just cant stand the temptation and ill binge eat on everything...a loaf of bread, a box of little debbies, ice cream, any thing with carbs and all in one day..its totally embarrassing i do this and i hide it. wait for no one to be looking while i do it. It sucks, and i dont know how to quit.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    No body image issues, but have been busted coming out of the bathroom with chips and dip is that closet binge eating? LOL!
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people on here have binge-eating disorder. I read somewhere that (allegedly) 2% of obese people have BED, though I wouldn't be surprised if that number was way higher. It's rather upsetting for me because most BED patients are overweight, but because I'm not overweight I've had people not believe me when I told them I have an eating disorder.

Buuuut I was accepted into a treatment study so yaaaay free treatment! I have my first appointment in 2 weeks :)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

<hugs> I was never that bad but I was getting there. Thank goodness I had a wake up call somehow and pulled it together. Now when I do binge at least I don't hide it.
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    I think a lot of people on here have binge-eating disorder. I read somewhere that (allegedly) 2% of obese people have BED, though I wouldn't be surprised if that number was way higher. It's rather upsetting for me because most BED patients are overweight, but because I'm not overweight I've had people not believe me when I told them I have an eating disorder.

Buuuut I was accepted into a treatment study so yaaaay free treatment! I have my first appointment in 2 weeks :)

Thats awesome keep us posted on how that goes for you!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I was never in the closet about it, but man I could eat... and eat and eat. For the first time in my life I really do feel like I'm over it tho. I think it was a comfort thing for me. If I was stressed or bored or sad or emotional..... or many other things, I would stuff myself to fill the void. I don't know what finally clicked for me or when, but it just did one day and I stopped.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the same doctor for 20 years.. she's never once addressed my weight and I've been yo-yo-ing from the low 200's to finally my highest more recently over 300. Anyone who thinks they don't have some sort of eating disorder at this size is in total denial. It the binging (and purging) became more and more frequent. I finally brought it up to her at my last physical because I wanted to seek professional counseling to deal with the eating issue, she asked if I was depressed.. YES.. WHO ISN'T AT 327 LBS!!!! She prescribed some anti-depressants and still hasn't mentioned my weight because all my blood work is always normal. UGH!!! HELLO!!!! ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?????

So I joined a gym, started working out, eating healthy, cutting out sugar and cutting down alcohol. I feel totally in control and haven't felt a urge at all since I started. It's such a blessing really. I'm not in that dark space... don't wanna go there again either. Just need to find a new doctor.
  • lissamok
    Options
    I used to be, which is why I ballooned to a huge 170 pounds before I said enough is enough. At 5'3", being 170 isn't that cute, especially since I carry all my weight in my stomach. I would buy two meals from a place, sit down, and eat them both myself on a daily basis, eat chips all the time (sometimes the whole bag and I would hide them in my drawer so no one would actually see me eating them), and drink 3-4 regular Cokes a day like they were water. I also remember bringing lunches, being invited out to eat with friends, first finishing mine and then eating a full meal with them like I hadn't eaten anything the whole day.

I started MFP to make me more accountable and as a result, I have made more healthy substitutions and I feel better. I also stopped buying foods that I know would make me binge because I can't fully control the need to finish the whole package or container, but at least now I can resist the urge to buy the bad foods in the first place and I haven't gone to a drive through in close to two months.
  • kellyhanratty
    kellyhanratty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was...but I guess this is me comin out the closet. I read that telling people really helps. I'm going to tell my work colleagues today. I feel they some times sabotage my weightless efforts. I ask for their support and to please not offer me junk, chocolate etc but they still do. And not only offer it but keep persisting when I decline!
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Yep! Worst feeling. When I see people complain that they "binged" because they overate by a couple hundred calories I always think, "Oh, you do NOT know a real binge," lol.... Have to laugh so I don't cry ;)

Lol Agreed! I figure this is all in the past but boy somedays I just wanna do it all over again! But I won't.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    No. Never. All my bads are in social situations. When I'm on my own, I'm really happy to eat sensibly, just find it really hard to do my own thing when I'm in a jolly group situation. Never really thought about this before.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    yeah, its starts as an extra helping and turns into eating everything in sight and making special trips to the grocery store for the thing I want. I'm trying to get away from that 6 meal a day thing, supposed to be better for evening out energy levels or something like that, but it makes me think about food ALL DAY. It turns into 6 full meals instead of 6 little meals. And I know I miss stuff on my log, but i also don't want to over compensate for that by aiming too low of a cal intake. That wouldn't solve the real issue for not being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    :grumble:
  • jennafluff
    Options
    had a major binge urge last night but bought up the topic of bingeing on here instead of going to the pantry!!! Had HEAPS of replys STRAIGHT away. So helped, by the time I got off the computer hubby had got home and the eats just COULDN"T resurface!!!! Anyway, had a reply fom a lovely member recommending a book called Why Weight by Geneen Roth which is about compulsive and emotional eating. Have ordered it and CAN"T weight (scuse the pun) to read it. Maybe it would be of help to you also???
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    eat chips all the time (sometimes the whole bag and I would hide them in my drawer so no one would actually see me eating them),

ahhh, chips. I'll do this with most anything, even things I don't especially like. But for chips tortilla chips covered in melted cheddar cheese, so yummy, oh wait, i'm out of cheese....:embarassed: . And Doritos especially. I'll buy a grab bag sometimes and be fine. But if I get a whole bag i'm doomed, two days and its gone, and i'm hiding it and my cheesy orange fingers from everyone.
  • jennafluff
    Options
    can we NOT talk about chips. Pleeeeeeeease?