Cous Cous - PLEASE HELP

Options
So I have heard people talking about Cous Cous for a while and how healthy it is because of the high protein (8g per 1 cup serving). Here is my question, I bought some, made it, loved it BUT when I read the nutrition on the back (yes I now realize that I should have done this beforehand), it say that it has 40g of carbs per serving (which is 1 cup). I'm just a beginning and learning as I go but isnt this high? It is 220 cals per serving. I want to eat clean and healthy and need to know if I should be eating Cous Cous or avoiding it. Also, how does it compare to brown rice, better or worse? Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Couscous is made from semolina, so it is like eating pasta and will be carb heavy. Maybe you were thinking of quinoa. Quinoa looks kind of similar to couscous but is high in protein (it is actually a seed).
  • mylilliam
    mylilliam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So it's better if I do not eat it?
  • ivyvine22001
    ivyvine22001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Quinoa is the better choice here. I LOVE cous cous... but it is pasta.. Boo! Quinoa has a different texture, but I've heard it's awesome mixed into something..
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Eat all in moderation! Try having half a cup!! But like already said, I think you are thinking about quinoa!
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I pretty much equate cous cous with rice or pasta. It's a little higher in protein, but still high carbs and calories. I eat it, but I usually only make half a serving and I budget for it in my food planning. But yeah, you might be thinking of Quinoa.