Just Dieting Now - No Exercise (Anyone in my boat?)

Options
Ok, I know we need to exercise too to lose weight and keep it off but right now I am just not motivated. I have been doing well counting calories. I was just wondering how other people did it without exercise and how much weight did they lose? Thanks!

Replies

• Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is more diet then exercise. You'll lose weight up to a certain point and then you'll stop losing until you do some physical activity. Its good for your heart and mind to do exercise. I don't see anything with not being motivated right now, hopefully you'll find some motivation in the future :) goodluck!
  • abdmps
    abdmps Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You are doing great! Good luck to you too!:smile:
  • upr3160
    upr3160 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first started to loss weight, I did it by changing the foods I ate. I ate more vegetables (steamed), drinking more water, trying to add more fruit. I am not a big fan. I was able to lose 30 lbs. over three months but I did start to exercise because it became more difficult to see a loss. Once I was able to motivate myself and go to a gym, the pounds started to come off more easily but I realize I can not stop, it has to be part of my routine in order to maintain. I do enjoy the exercise classes, so once you start to add activity you may see better results.
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    I've lost about 7kg (15lb) without a regular exercise routine. However, I'm finding that I have sort of stalled - so I think it is time to add in the exercise. That being said, it is different for everyone.

What is important to remember is that exercise is for so much more than weight loss. Think about all the other benefits to your body, and how much better you will feel for it. That should help with the motivation!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I can exercise until the cows come home but cant get the calories low enough!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important so as you lose weight so you don't lose muscle too. That being said, Pushing your little girl in the stroller is exercise, so is shoveling snow, hard cleaning of the house, like polishing the furniture instead of just dusting. Vacumning the house and moving the furniture. There are lot of ways to exercise that your don't have to have equipment or go to a gym. Don't beat yourself up about it right now. Keep track of what you eat daily and keep it healthy, try to keep moving during the day. Do you work? On your lunch hour walk the halls of your building, take the stairs instead of the elevator. When you go to the store park away from the door instead of close. I'm sure having a little one keeps you up and at em a lot more than you think. Try telling yourself in your food diary in the morning to KEEP IT MOVING. Each time your track you food you will see that reminder. :flowerforyou:
    You can do this. :drinker: As you get into the swing of things you will find that your motavation for exercise will be another one of your goals.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise but try starting with long walks with some music or an audio book. You don't have to get your heart pumping hard to burn calories, start slow and enjoy it :smile:
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm in your boat but not by choice - resting a pulled muscle. I've been really into exercise, so I'm a bit gutted.

That said, when I first started I didn't do any exercise either and I lost a lot of weight. So if it's just about weightloss for you then you should be fine assuming you've got a healthy metabolism (I haven't, I dieted too hard when I wasn't exercising).
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I did that until I got my diet under good control, but now I'm working out.
  • minnie_the_minx
    Options
    Ok, I know we need to exercise too to lose weight and keep it off but right now I am just not motivated. I have been doing well counting calories. I was just wondering how other people did it without exercise and how much weight did they lose? Thanks!
    so i'm the original couch potato, & LOATHE exercise, but i used to force myself to do it. - until a back injury
    stopped me in my tracks - so right now i can't do anything high impact until i get my wobbly belly down to a
    size that doesn't put so much pressure on my back. BUT i've started going out for nce long walks,
    headphones on & music cranked up, & i'm enjoying getting out into the fresh air. start with this & work your
    way up - the thought of going full out in a gym for hours on end can be really daunting, so just do something
    little every day & build your exercise levels up from there.

as has already been said, exercise is for so much more than weight loss, & i know i feel so much better
    in myself after a couple of weeks. plus, i wanna be toned & fit & supple as well as slim, i don't wanna just
    lose weight & still be flabby & undefined & have loose skin at the end :frown:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea.
    Losing weight without changing body composition will make you a smaller version of your fat self!
    I'm not trying to be mean but really research before jumping in both feet.

Here is an excerpt from Tom Vanuto:

"In fact, it has been a frequent finding in research on starvation and very low calorie diets that in the absence of weight training, a calorie deficit can lead to 25% of the weight loss coming from lean tissue. In extreme cases, as much as half the weight loss could come from lean tissue. You’re not even in the recomposition game without serious strength training.

Even if your goal is fat loss, the weight training is necessary to maintain the lean body mass you have and to keep your body looking hard and lean. I think the opposite of successful recomposition is what most of the general public does for weight loss: they crash diet without training and lose a lot of body weight, but their body composition doesn’t improve. They simply become smaller versions of their old selves – skinny fat people. They fit into smaller clothes, but they don’t look good out of clothes (and they may not be healthier either).

Resistance training has a powerful effect on anabolic hormones and the partitioning of energy and nutrients. In the absence of weight training, a large percentage of the energy surplus gets stored as adipose tissue. By simply adding resistance training, if all else remains equal, calories will be utilized for energy to fuel training, amino acids shuttled into the muscle for tissue repair and growth, and carbohydrates sent to replace muscle glycogen."

Holy Grail Page 33.

So...ready to lift some weights or do some push ups?
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight without exercise, but I know how important it is for my health. I have been walking 3-5 times a week for around 45 minutes. I am at 284lbs so I'm not pushing myself to do alkali kinds of stuff just. Between the walking and the Just Dance 3 with my daughter I feel so much better already. As I continue to lose I will add differently things.

When I had list over 80lbs before I was taking spinning classes and they kicked my butt but I found myself almost addicted to exercise. I always felt better after I did something.

Good luck on your journey, and remember any changes you make towards a healthier you are good changes and will benefit you in the long run!!
  • abdmps
    abdmps Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for all your advice and motivation! I will try the stairs at work and walking a little bit each day. :)
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is what I am starting with. I think I'll do this for a bit and then exercise. I don't want to see the numbers go up on the scale so I wanna lose it first, then exercise. I wanna tone up when there isn't so much fat there. I know some think this is wrong, but this is what I think I want to do.
  • Casey0205
    Casey0205 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing my best to stay focused so I can actually see a loss at some point. I have only been serious about this for a few days now so it will be a while. I don't like to exercise so I am just focused on water intake, less sodas and better food choices. However, I know the day will come when I have to get motivated.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    This is what I am starting with. I think I'll do this for a bit and then exercise. I don't want to see the numbers go up on the scale so I wanna lose it first, then exercise. I wanna tone up when there isn't so much fat there. I know some think this is wrong, but this is what I think I want to do.

you have a TDEE that is probably in the mid 2000s. so eating anything below this will help you lose weight.

Saty away from a scale and only measure body fat.

The scale doesnt know the difference between fat loss and catabolism of muscle!
    Do the research!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    The human body needs exercise. We used to hunt, build, climb, swim - we are made to be active. This is why everyone is suddenly overweight, because they drive to their office and sit on desk chairs all day.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation due to a knee injury that is keeping me off my feet. Once I get clearance from the doc I'm going to push myself to try swimming. I agree with others that adding exercise is important if possible. You'll be healthier (not just thinner) and also able to eat more while still losing the weight. Even so, starting with a reduced calorie diet is a good place to begin! There is a pretty big gap between starving yourself and eating at a maintenance level or beyond. I haven't been able to exercise for a couple of months now, but by making healthy choices in my eating habits I am still seeing my body fat % go in the right direction.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    exercise makes me happy. i FEEL so much better when i do. i think you'll feel the same--and your heart will thank you.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    exercise makes me happy. i FEEL so much better when i do. i think you'll feel the same--and your heart will thank you.

THIS...even on days when I feel like crap and don't want to work out, I always feel better after!