Help... I hate veggies! Super picky eater!

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Personally I could eat my body weight in veggies every day. I love them. Especially carrots. OMG I could eat carrots all day every day and it totally weirds me out when people don't like them. That said, there are tons of totally normal things that I don't like either (like chocolate and peanut butter together--grosses me out).

Anyway, check out the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious." It's all about hiding veggies in things so kids will eat them. Some of the recipes are awesome and you think "no way! there are veggies in that??" Definitely worth looking into!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Corn is a grain, not a vegetable. Beans are not vegetables either, they are legumes.

Grind vegetables up in the food processor and then add them to soups, pasta sauce, etc..........

I like beans too, I think I knew they were not a vegetable. How about green beans? I like many veggies cooked soft and/or in something. But often the meal then becomes high calorie or high fat. ;(

I was quoting the person that was saying they ate corn as one of few vegetables that they said they ate.

Most people refer to corn as a vegetable and not a grain.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you like spaghetti sauce, but I add stage 2 baby food carrots to mine to sneak in some extra veggies for my 4 year old. He hates carrots, but he can't taste them this way. I guess you could steam carrots and mash them up and add them if you wanted, but this is way easier for me and since it's baby food there is no added salt/preservatives!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have always loved veggies, but there are ways to eat them without losing nutrients... I cook them in soups... all the nutrients stay right in with the broth...I like acorn squash with just butter and salt... some times I stuff it with a meatloaf type dish (I am vegetarian so mine is meatless) and it comes out amazing... even my veggie hating husband loves it... you can also stuff bell peppers... but be sure to eat them too...
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I used to hate veggies, but I have learned to like peppers, onions, celery, carrots, lettuce, etc.

I really highly suggest Deceptively Delicious. You're not a kid, but if its the only way to get them in, DO IT.
  • KitKB
    KitKB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I read it takes you 11 times to tolerate most new foods....

That actually makes me feel a lot better. I may have to start trying the whole "food processor mash of veggies snuck into food" thing. My parents never cooked veggies growing up except corn and green beans (I'm not even joking) and we never had any sort of fruits but bananas (again... not joking). So when it comes to fruits and veggies, I'm absolutely useless. I have no idea how to pair them with food, prepare them, or cook them. I have found that I've started to really like eating soups and stews with finely cut up veggies - so this gives me hope.

Maybe I can buy a few veggies on the weekend, chop, dice, and puree them, toss them into the freezer in serving-sized bags, and hide them in everything I eat....
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hmm... can you eat french fries? For a while I've made my own 'fries' by cutting potatoes into fries, using cooking spray to coat a baking sheet, plop them on and coat with spray again. Cook at about 350-375 until done, flipping a couple times along the way. You can also try sweet potato fries this way.

Try a new veggie each week, use different methods. I'm pretty picky, but nowhere as picky as you. I wasn't much on asparagus until I had it in a restaurant once, it was sauteed (in butter, but hey, if you can spare a little calories for real butter it DOES help!) with granulated garlic and a bit of salt. That is now my favoite veggfie dish.

Worst case, if this and the other recommendations don't help, just make your fruit selections carefully to get the most bang for the calories.

And there IS hope for you.... for ages I couldn't eat a tomato or anything with tomato in it without gagging. But since I got married my husband has been slowly working on me, and now I can eat some chili (started with Cincinnati/coney style hot dog sauces), some BBQ sauces, and I have even had marinara sauce at 2 Italian restaurants that I actually could eat, and even like! So sneaking a little in here and there and building on it may eventually work for you too. It took me 15 years, but I can now eat some regular tomato-based chilis!
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Thanks
  • schifdy
    Options
    I was never able to eat vegetables of any kind. October 25th my husband and I started the Ideal Protein program and I was told by my doctor I had to eat 4 cups of vegetables a day so I had to learn to eat them as my husband paid a lot of money for this program and now I kinda look forward it. At first I would (and still do) juice in my blendtec machine...... kale, spinish, red peppers, cucumber and celery along with a lemon slice, cinnamon and a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper to make it taste good enough to drink, which it took awhile but I thought I would rather drink it than eat it. I now bake my vegetables in the oven with olive oil and sea salt. I make cauliflower mashed potatoes and cauliflower fried rice (just grade it like you do for potatoe hashbrowns) add scrambled egg, onion, garlic and some sea salt and salt free soy sause. Bake kale on cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 250 with oil and sea salt and the taste like crispy potatoe chips. Can't stand kale without juicing or baking but kale is very good for you. We have lost 20 pounds each and I am now off my blood pressure meds for the first time in 3 years. Just joined this site this week and looking forward to learning how to count calories and drop another 10 pounds and keep it off, also enjoying reading the message boards and hoping to catch on to this new way of eating soon as I have a lot to learn. I have always been a meat and potatoe lover 7 days a week and it feels good to eat some greens for the first time in my life. I hope this helps!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I, too, am super picky with veg. I actually read somewhere about people called super-tasters which are basically people who have more taste buds than most (like children are born with more active taste buds and many of them become less effective as they get older). Anyway, this causes these super-tasters to dislike bitter tastes such as many vegetables. I certainly think this could be the case with me as I don't like many bitter flavours eg. most vegetables, dark chocolate, alcohol etc.

Anyway, for me, soup definately works. I wouldn't eat a plate of carrot but in lentil soup, I'll eat it. I usually make my lentil soup with lentils (obviously), loads of carrots, an onion or two or a leek and a stock cube or two or I'll cut up some bacon and shove it in the pot too. When it's ready, I'll use a blender to blend it all up so I can't see bit clods of veg in it to put me off.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try a green smoothie maybe? I throw two carrots and two handfuls of spinach in with a bunch of fruit, and all I can taste is the fruit smoothie part. Ideally you should have a good blender for this, and don't let the color throw you.
  • NicoleStanton2
    NicoleStanton2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I tried the hypnotist. Didn't work. I've never been able to eat fruits or veggies or most whole grains. The texture gets me long before the taste does. I can eat something that tastes bad, I cannot for the life of me keep something down that is mushy, grainy, crunchy, or slimy. I tried the hypnotist last summer and all it did was make me hate plant matter more. I hated the energy I was spending trying to eat, just to throw up and feel weak and shocky for the next few hours just to do it again at the next meal time. I started avoiding eating because I couldn't stand to throw up again. At this point, I need a way to find balance without someone telling me I just need to cook it a different way. has anyone found a way to balance the diet without that annoying plant matter?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So those of you that say you hate veggies and fruit you don't care for any of these:

How about chopped up veggies, cut up small added to omelets? on Pizzas? Tossed in pasta sauce (which is a fruit BTW..tomatoes) do you like any berries? Strawberries, blueberries? Fresh or even frozen in a smoothie, add some spinach or kale and a 1/2 a frozen banana even if you have to close your eyes... wonder if you could eat that or at least have someone make it and give it a shot, or at least a sip? ;)

I love veggies and fruits, There's millions all over the world I haven't tried but so many that are so wonderful. Pineapple, Pomegranates, all sorts berries, fresh peaches, nectarines, ....the list goes on...

Hope you're all picking up ideas from one another or checking out the web.... they are so healthy but to make someone eat something they despise doesn't seem worth it.

Oh...no wine drinkers? grapes = fruit = wine ;)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What you do is grow up a bit and stop being picky.....
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My grandma use to tell me that if you didn't like something it's because you haven't tried it enough. Lol

You don't like what you won't like. Why force yourself
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As a vegan of 3 years i know what your going through... When i decided to switch my lifestyle i hated veggies at first. But it gets better i promise! Dr. Neal Benard (who i highly recommend), says that it takes about 14-21 days for your taste to change. So what i recommend is eating veggies for 2-3 weeks every day...Over time you will start to love the way they taste... I know it doesn't always work, i can't eat sugar beats without gagging, but for most other veggies i've found my taste changed quite fast.

It also works that way with quitting sugary, salty, and fatty foods... Just change to your desired diet for 2-3 weeks and then your taste will change.
  • RonanByrne
    RonanByrne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Baby steps is all I can recommend. I never ate a green until I was in my mid twenties. I started with raw peas, worked my way up to cooked peas and mangetout.

Lettuce was one thing I couldn't face, I had bad memories of stray lettuce pieces making their way into my plain cheeseburgers. I did try small pieces of rocket (arrugala for the Americans) hidden in sandwiches and then a few small pieces on the side of my plate like a "salad".

I couldn't eat onions either but I started caramelising a little finely diced onion in my lasagne sauce and worked up from there. I still don't like raw onion but it wouldn't ruin a salad for me.

Grilled or roasted veg are amazing once you build up to them. Try roasting carrots in plenty of olive oil with some herbs and salt. Once you grow to love it you can cut back on the oil, think long term.

I can eat anything now but it did take a couple of years of effort. I had to remind myself to add new things and keep increasing the serving sizes of things had already tried. There comes a tipping point where you're no longer forcing yourself and you end up enjoying and craving some crunchy veg. I now notice how bad I feel if I end up eating beige food for an entire weekend and come home dying for some high fibre veg.

Why not try throwing broccoli, peas, corn, apple and walnuts in a big bowl and make your own version of a waldorf? you could pile that high without overloading on calories. It would also be a great dish to drop a small bit of something else into.

Best of luck
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    kim_mc wrote: »
    I want to eat veggies so bad! I am jealous of people that can fill their plates with veggies and eat all that food for such low cals and all kinds of healthy vitamins!

I have hated veggies all my life and I'm a super picky eater!

I can't eat a piece of lettuce without gagging, so a salad is out of the question. It sure would help when going to a restaurant if I could get a salad. As I've gotten older I can now force myself to eat some veggies but they have to be a certain kind, cooked a certain way.

Nothing crunchy for sure! I steam broccoli until it's mushy. I love corn but I don't think that's really a healthy veggie. I will eat green beans and peas but they have to be canned.

Anything else is a NO!.

I tried over and over again to "aquire" a taste for them but no luck.

So does anybody have any suggestions or is anyone a picky eater like me? Is so, what do you do????

I do know picky eaters!! You can cook yourself some spaghetti and hide some cubes of vegs in them (yellow or orange bell peppers work great for that, as well as mushrooms). You can make light green smoothies (I love using spinach leaf and cucumbers as they don't have a strong taste, and then use tasty fruits such as mango, kiwi or strawberries, or pineapple). Or you can mix some pureed vegs with mashed potatoes also.
  • RainbowFlwrPowr
    RainbowFlwrPowr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kim, I am the exact same way. I do not eat veggies, with the exception of potatoes, but I also don't eat fruits with the exception of Bananas and Apples. What I have done is cut back on the unhealthy aspects of my diet and started eating smaller portions. For example, I eat a lot of chicken, before I started my diet/exercise process fried chicken was my favorite. Instead of getting fried chicken now, I get grilled chicken. Instead of french fries, I get a baked potato.

I have also incorporated a lot of fiber into my diet using fiber supplements. This helps my digestive health remain healthy despite my "unusual" diet. I would also recommend vitamins to help get a lot of the nutrients you don't get from the veggies.

Feel free to add me and I will offer additional advice as you need it. Just know that I am not a professional dietitian or fitness expert, and I am pretty new to all this.

Good luck!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    kim_mc wrote: »
    I want to eat veggies so bad! I am jealous of people that can fill their plates with veggies and eat all that food for such low cals and all kinds of healthy vitamins!

I have hated veggies all my life and I'm a super picky eater!

I can't eat a piece of lettuce without gagging, so a salad is out of the question. It sure would help when going to a restaurant if I could get a salad. As I've gotten older I can now force myself to eat some veggies but they have to be a certain kind, cooked a certain way.

Nothing crunchy for sure! I steam broccoli until it's mushy. I love corn but I don't think that's really a healthy veggie. I will eat green beans and peas but they have to be canned.

Anything else is a NO!.

I tried over and over again to "aquire" a taste for them but no luck.

So does anybody have any suggestions or is anyone a picky eater like me? Is so, what do you do????

The Ninja or Bullet could be your friends. Otherwise add the veggies to othwr recipes. I put spinach in almost everything and as such it is both formless and tasteless.