Signing up for a 1/2 marathon in 90 days!!

Options
So I am signing up for the Portland Rock and Roll half marathon in about 90 days! I am also signing up for the Seattle Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon a month after Portland.

May 20th is the date....

I am signing up for the marathon for my self... I am signing up because it will be about the time my divorce is final. I want to have a goal to work for in these next 90 days.... I want to do something for myself... Something I have done in the past - I have run a few half marathons, and one full marathon... however.... I was 55 pounds heavier when I ran them! So this is the first time for me to run where I feel comfortable in my own body.

I am excited I am nervous, but I know I can do this. I feel empowered! (right now)

I have started running again recently - the furthest I have run is 4.5 miles, so I am not going into this cold turkey....
Am I crazy?? What do you think??

Oops... sorry I didn't mean to say I was doing a full marathon then a half.... both are half marathons!

Replies

• CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes you are crazy :-). Wow, thats hectic. Seriously though, i think it depends on your fitness levels. You have done a few half marathons and one full. So you know what that distance feels like. I think you ll do ok. I would have prefered you do things the other way round, if i were you. 1st the half marathon, then the full. Good luck, you sure gonna need some. Keep us posted on how it goes. Im really sorry about your divorce.
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    Just re- read it... oops... sorry... THEY ARE BOTH HALF MARATHONS!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, my bad. In that case, this will be a walk in the park for you. Just get yourself a good training program and get down to business. Im also doing a half marathon Feb 25th. Its my 1st. I am NERVOUS. All the best!
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    you will do great. 4.5 miles is great. I am in a class that people were training for the half from 0 miles! Especially since you have ran them before. Your body will remember and you will do great.
    Also, if you have to take a walk break here and there that is perfectly fine. From everything I have read, it is better to get all the miles in slow then to get less miles in faster.
    Good luck!
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you! If you've run them before, you know what you're getting into! Have fun! You'll do great!
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You have to be a crazy in order to do a 1/2 half marathon :) or else you wouldn't do it :)
    I just completed my first half marathon in early February...and I've signed up for my next one in early May.
    I will friend you...we can support eachother!!
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    thank you so much for the support! I have friended those that requested - and all the support right now is appreciated!

I am all fired up right now! So that is good. I know it is work getting ready for 1/2 marathons, but I feel like, why wouldn't I do it?? This is MY NEW LIFE, I choose what I will do with it... I will continue this healthy path I am on!!

So thanks again everyone - very much appreciated!!

After I get through this 12 hour work day today! - - - I am on the run tomorrow !!

Em
  • knelson422
    Options
    You can totally train for it if the longest you can go is 4.5. Just increase your long run at least 1 mile each week until you get to 13 (you could do less, some people do). You can do it, that is a great goal. It is good to be working toward something during the events that are coming in your life. Good luck!!
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    That's fantastic!! I just did my first one this month and am doing my next in May! It was awesome and the feeling of finishing was great. I wasn't much of a runner before I started training, I had never done more than a 5K. I highly recommend going to www.jeffgalloway.com. I guess he's a contributor to Runner's World and he's a big proponent of intervals. They worked for me personally and the more I've talked about it to people the more I hear that they know marathoners and such who follow his program. Also, Hal Higdon, www.halhigdon.com I think, also has a good program. Those are 2 I found and liked. Good luck!
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    Also, remember you don't need to train the full 13 miles. The longest you should go before is 10 or 11 miles. Once you're in the race the last few miles are nothing.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We are all crazy, just to varying degrees. I run a 5K every May. People have told me that I'm crazy for that. However, I've caught more comments about being crazy for being a hockey goalie. Ahh, the thrill of a hard rubber disk being fired at you at 75 mph!
    See what I mean about the varying degrees of crazy? :-D
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I'm sure you will do great! I am running my 1st half marathon at the end of May. I've been training since just before Christmas! Super excited for the new challenge. I would love some support from those who are running as well!
  • Hornet4Life
    Options
    You go girl! So proud of you already.

I am running my 2nd half in May. Ever need motvation, dont hesitate to chat me :) Me and my cousin's girlfriend get up before work and run according to our training gude. It's tough some days but other days, (once you get through that run) you feel on top of the world!

Have fun and happy training!
  • Stinkee17
    Options
    I just signed up for the Badger Mountain Challenge (15k) 10 Miles?......Yah, I'll be walking/joging it, but it's good! I'm also signed up for the Warrior Dash in Northbend, WA. I did this last year and it was 3miles of amazingly muddy fun!

Enjoy your marathons! :)
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first half in May too....and yes you are crazy....but crazy have all the fun!!! All the best in your training and on race day!!!
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi there, as a person signed up for 6 half marathons and one full marathon, I don't think that you are crazy at all. That is plenty of training time and plenty of recovery between both of them. Best of luck to you on your journey!!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm the crazy one. I let my daughter talk me into signing up for the Rock and Roll half marathon in Chicago in July with her. I have never ran a half marathon in my life. I'm using the Jeff Galloway run/walk and my daughter set me up a training schedule. So far I have done 7 miles and have 8 to do this weekend. I'm most definitely very nervous about doing this but still have several months of training, so hoping I will be ready for it.
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    Definetly just one degree of CRAZY in my book!!

We are all nuts! HA HA HA
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    You got this! I would love to run a half, but not sure my knees would like it. Best of luck to you! :smile: