Home Made Foods

Options
Hi everyone,
My name is Shirley , I'm 60 yrs. old,single again and for once trying to take care of ME instead of everyone else. I should mention I'm Roberlies Mom. I'm diabetic, heart problems, High blood pressure, and high cholesterol. 9/11 my weight was 228 since then it's 212.
I've made a soup thats mainly on the idea of minestrone with chicken. I seem to be doing well ,eating this every day ,but not every meal. I also have a problem with eating breakfast. I eat at lunch time, and supper usually between 6-or 7pm, a normal health wise one. Any advise for the new kid on the block?
Shirley AKA memeburke

Replies

• memeburke
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Shirley , I'm 60 yrs. old,single again and for once trying to take care of ME instead of everyone else. I should mention I'm Roberlies Mom. I'm diabetic, heart problems, High blood pressure, and high cholesterol. 9/11 my weight was 228 since then it's 212.
    I've made a soup thats mainly on the idea of minestrone with chicken. I seem to be doing well ,eating this every day ,but not every meal. I also have a problem with eating breakfast. I eat at lunch time, and supper usually between 6-or 7pm, a normal health wise one. Any advise for the new kid on the block?
    Shirley AKA memeburke
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi Shirley!

Special K bars are really good and satisfying.
    The strawberry kind is my fave.

What kind of advice do you need or want?

~Joanna
  • memeburke
    Options
    Hi Healthier Me,
    I couild use help on calculating this homemade soup, and new ideas for snacks and suppers. Like what are you guys eating ,and for a beginner like me and my health issues,how much,what kind of exercize do I do?
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

This is a link that Healthier_me posted before - you enter all your ingredients from your recipe and then how many servings there are and it will tell you the nutritional information.

Eat lots of veggies!

As for exercise, in your health, I think I would start very very slow. Maybe just short walks to get you started. You should definitely ask your doctor about that one though.

Good luck to you!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You have to start eating breakfast. Your metabolism doesn't really start a 'burn calories' mode until you eat something. Try a two egg-white omelet with some fresh veggies and a slight bit of cheese on whole wheat toast. Or you can use eggbeaters too.

My favorite lunch right now is one large or two medium apples with low-fat peanut butter. I also like to eat tuna and a variety of soups.

If you don't start introducing some new foods you will get bored and that isn't good!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    *sigh*

Anywho... use the link that apaden4 provided.
    It is a cool thing to use to calculate your homemade meals.

I agree with Julie... you should try to eat something for breakfast.
    I tend to forget to get breakfast for myself so I grab a Special K bar and go about my business.

Good luck Ms. Shirley! =)
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi Shirley,
    I agree with Julie of the wolves, breakfast is a must. But I love the Kelloggs bars too. Good luck, I just went to the website Apaden4 suggested and I think it's great.
  • julieofthewolves
    Options
    ** double sigh **

regarding breakfast - I sometimes am not even hungry in the morning. Actually that is probably most mornings. I do keep a box of Special K and some skim milk at work. I oftentimes eat breakfast without wanting too. But it works!
  • julieofthewolves
    Options
    Joanne (spelling?) AKA Healthier - cute, cute, cute pic!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    You can call me anything ya want Ms. Wolves ;-)

That's my messy eater!
  • julieofthewolves
    Options
    So, is it just on her face or all over everything????

I finally just looked at Sparkpeople. Nice site. Thanks for you and apaden4 for recommending it.

I'll check it out more as I sit and watch "the Biggest Loser" and get inspired for a big workout tomorrow!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    It was everywhere!
    She now eats nekkid lol
    Too many shirts have been ruined.

The sparkpeople website has soo many great articles & recipes.
  • julieofthewolves
    Options
    LOL!!! Good plan - so much easier to clean up that way.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    You got that right! lol
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am a little late on this, but I have been eating the same thing for the last 10 days for breakfast because I am not usually hungry in the morning and this seems palatable...

1 slice whole wheat bread with 2 TBSP peanut butter (organic, all natural)
    coffee with mocha mix
    fruit (either grapes, 1/2 an apple, some strawberries, etc.)

It is not too much, yet it holds me over through my morning workouts.