What to do, what to do...?

Options
So, I have been trying to get a couple of my girlfriends to start dieting/exercising with me. They have voiced that they too, are "obese" according to the BMI calculators and wanted to do something about it. I tried to get them to start Weight Watchers with me, because our insurance will cover part of it. They said they can't afford it. Understandable.
I recommended that they start walking 3 nights a week with me for an hour. They agreed!! Then as the day approaches, like today, they back out. It has happened more than once. I even got a gym membership because they said they would go with, and that has never happened.
I know that it is up to ME to get ME in shape, but sometimes the motivation is nice, not to mention the conversation. However, I am thankful that my husband never lets me down. Even after a long grueling day at work, I can count on him to get out and take a short, brisk walk with me.
I know this is not a rant page, or blog, but I just needed to get it off my chest.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get myself to the gym alone? I tend to be too self- conscience in the gym alone. But I know I will feel better about myself once I do it… and I hate to see 35.00 a month go down the drain!

Thanks!

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    In the famous words of Nike "Just Do It"!! Put your gym bag in the car so you can go on your way home from work. Get a session with a trainer or at the very least an introductory session where they show you the different machines and how to set them up and how to use them so you know what you are doing. Get the class schedule and find a class that fits YOUR schedule that sounds interesting and go to it. There are ALL levels of fitness and all sizes in those classes so you won't be out of place. Smile at another person in the class or on the cardio machine next to you. Maybe you'll make a new friend.

I'm sorry your friends won't go but you paid for that darn gym membership so use it!!
  • qtpie99
    qtpie99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Once you go by yourself the first couple times it will get easier.
  • deelicious6
    Options
    I used to go to the gym by myself. It is funny how self concious you feel when you are alone, like ALL EYES ON ME. I don't havea gym pass any more, but if I did, I think I would probably buddy up with a couple of the ladies there, or check with the front desk. they probably know someone that comes in on the days you do and maybe they could couple you with them.
    A simple hi can open any conversation about the weather, the equipment you ar using or the fact that you don't like to go alone. It may take a few tries but hopefully you will end up with a gym buddy and a friend for life!
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use to hate going to the gym alone, but when my schedule chaanged i had to. The fist thing i did was stick to the cardio macines becuse i knew how to work them and it didnt seem so scarry. The more fitness magazine i read the more i learned about the importance of weight lifting. more muscle burns more fat, simple theory.....yet so scarry to do all alone. I go to 24hr fitness and they offer one free training session with a personal trainer, i had him show me how to work all the machines. I took the advice from magazines such as shape, and self and then just tried them. After a few times of going by myself.......i will never work out with someone now. Its sortta like my ME time. Give it a shot, you might like it.
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    I think they'll jump on board once they see you being successful! :smile:
  • Thanks everyone!!
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would just jump in and get in the habit of going to the gym alone. I've been going to the gym for decades, and it is a rare treat that I can actually get someone to join me. A lot of people simply don't want to workout and no amount of motivation will make a difference.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some classes at first in order to get a routine going?

Also, to help with the self-conscienciousness, maybe have a session with a trainer who can put a program together for you.

When I first started at the gym, I hated going to the weight sections as I felt like I was just looking around in a daze trying to figure out what to do on the fly.

good luck!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Last summer a bunch of my friends started working out the same time I did. One by one they all fell off the wagon so to say and Im the only one who really stuck with it. 20 pounds later I dont care my friends didn't stick with it, I feel better about myself and thats whats important.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would start with cardio machines, maybe timed around a favorite show. When Grey's Anatomy was on, I was at the gym because if I was at home, my kids would bug me. This way, I could become completely engrossed in the show while using the elliptical or treadmill. Also, I found classes easier to handle then just trying to free style the weight machines on my own. Classes are a good way to meet people and maybe strike up a conversation about wanting company while weight training.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    People will NEVER commit to something fully unless they are really ready for it in mind, body and spirit. If one part of their being is fighting it, they will never stick with it. These friends are obviously not really ready for the commitment. Once they are, be there for them, but for now, don't let it bother you. You are ready for the change before them, just be the brave soul and go it alone till they are ready too.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use my headphones :wink: I just have to be sure to not listen to a funny podcast 'cause I don't want to be the crazy lady laughing on the treadmill. Once I get my music on, I kind of tune out everything else and go into the "zone."

I have made some good "workout" friends (I don't really see them outside of the gym) in a biggest loser type class. We are all different levels of fitness, but we have a great time working out together.

You can do it!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just pack up your gym gear and go! I usually go to the gym alone, because my schedule doesn't coincide with my wife's. After I got into the routine of going at the same time each day I met lots of great people that are there for the same reason as me. Although we are not close friends outside of the gym, we all have a great time supporting each other and finding out how much many of us have in common as we sweat it out together. Now I actually look forward to it, and am seeing the results in the mirror! :happy:
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out with friends before and it seems like I always end up waiting for them to show up so we can walk, or waiting for them to be ready to go to the gym, or wanting to head home when I'm just getting started, or. . . You get the idea. It's great to have a workout buddy, but sometimes it works better if find a workout buddy at the gym or along your usual walking route. Then you know they already have the same goals in mind.
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE going to the gym alone! I need my ipod, but that's it! I have gone with friends before and sometimes not much gets accomplished. The gym is my only time alone and I treasure it. It's my time to release stress, push myself harder, and rock out to my tunes! If you feel nervous about going alone, know that 90% of the people there come alone..and theyre all there for the same reasons. Or you could get a trainer at first to show you the basics and warm you up to working out there? Good luck girl!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been there so many times. It can be a total demotivator if you're hoping/expecting a friend to go with you and they don't go and I've seen myself just end up not working out before because of it......that's when I decided to stop waiting on some moral support and just get on with it!

Fitness for me is all about the habit....if you know that a Monday night you go to such and such a class, Wednesday night go the the gym, Friday for a swim or whatever, you'll get into a habit that will be hard to break. Relying on friends means that you end up breaking your habit before it is already formed.

Yeah, I agree that it is lovely to have some company but chances are your friends aren't going to stick this out like you are, so you're better to go yourself and if they end up coming along, then great, but don't wait on them to join you. Also, I sometimes find I get more burned working out myself than with buddies, anyway, as sometimes they can be more of a distraction than a help.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE going to the gym alone! I need my ipod, but that's it! I have gone with friends before and sometimes not much gets accomplished. The gym is my only time alone and I treasure it. It's my time to release stress, push myself harder, and rock out to my tunes! If you feel nervous about going alone, know that 90% of the people there come alone..and theyre all there for the same reasons. Or you could get a trainer at first to show you the basics and warm you up to working out there? Good luck girl!

Same here! Gym time is stress release time and I hate people waiting for me to get done or whatever. Plus it lets me focus on a good strenuous workout.

Friends aren't going to lose the weight for me, so I depend on me to GET IT DONE!

Good luck!
  • anchees
    anchees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration a little bit. I had a gym buddy that stopped going and was not as reliable as I'd like. So, my solution was to go to a gym that offers classes and take as many as you can. Eventually you will meet some of the people in the classes and they will motivate you to keep going. Set a goal for yourself for how many times you want to be at the gym per week. The main thing is to NEVER GIVE UP!!! Also, do a variety of classes and mix it up so you don't get bored. :happy:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym alone. It's all about me! It's not about my kids, husband or friends. Just Me Me Me! Not many times in my day when I can say that!
  • Jeaniehop
    Jeaniehop Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just put on some headphones and go to town til you get someone else to go with you or you make friends at the gym. Stay positive you're doing great keep it up!