Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need info from Las Vegas Local

ChristiCare
ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
Ok so this may be a long shot, but at this point we are desperate. My daughter moved to Vegas about 2 weeks ago. On the way there her truck broke down and she had to rent a U-Haul and trailer, to trailer it the rest of the way. Now please don't get me wrong I am not bad mouthing any mechanics in Vegas. But I am interested in what poeple may know about them. She took her truck in and so far we have spent $1450 and now we have been told that is will be another $1500 to actually fix the problem.
I am scared to death that she may have taken it to somebody that thinks she is some little rich girl, and daddy will just keep puttting money into her account. But that is so not the case....I will not reveal who the mechanic is because they may be Great, I guess I am just looking for some reassurance. We are 1000 miles away and cannot actually see the truck for ourselves. we are just afraid they see a 23 girl and daddys checkbook....

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    I have lived in Vegas for over 11 years now. Not sure where you have the truck, and I'm not that familiar with auto repair shops. We usually take our vehicles to the dealership for repair, so we can rest assured they know what they're talking about. However, I will say that labor rates here are OUTRAGEOUS! We had some work done to my husband's Silverado a while back, and the body shop labor rate was $150 per hour.

I did work at franchised car dealerships for some time years ago, and what I would suggest is that you talk to the service advisor personally to get the details of the repair work being done. If you don't feel comfortable, you can always call a shop where you live to get an estimate for the same repair. At least then you'll have an idea of whether the cost is reasonable or not.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I know that James West Automotive does excellent work and is very honest. I also feel very comfortable recommending Desert Buick GMC in Henderson. I had my Oldsmobile serviced there many times over the years I owned it and was very comfortable with them. We have also purchased 2 vehicles from them, most recently a new LaCrosse just last month.

You don't mention what type of truck she has or what year, etc. That may also be a factor in the cost or nature of the repair. The engine threw a rod in our 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora over the summer, and the cost of the repair was going to be around $5000. We sold the car for $400 and bought a new Hyundai.

Best of luck to you and to your daughter. :) Hope the rest of her experiences here in Vegas are good ones!
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Thank you so much for the information. That makes us feel a little better. I must say those labor rates are crazy. She has a 1996 chevy S-10. We have had the truck since it was almost new and has been a great little truck. Even with close to $3000 into it, what are you going to buy for $3000? A car with bad shocks, struts, springs, and u-joints! well now we have new ones. LOL my husband has talked to the owner through this deal and he has been really good. I will definatly keep the shops you mentioned in mind. my daughers boyfriends car is in a different shop. They have had it for over a month and havent looked at it yet, and so they will be going to go get it and try another place.
    Thanks again for the info, We love Vegas, we come every year and actually got married at Bon Mel Ami