Calorie Goal VS Eating Exercise Calories

Options
Hi All,

I'm sorry I know that this topic must be posted all the time in different permutations... I tried searching and couldn't find the exact answer I am looking for so bear with me!

I am 26 years old, female and 149 pounds (5 foot 3).
My calories goal to lose 1 lb a week is 1220 per day.

I ride my bike to work (a very easy 10 minute ride each way), and occassionally ride to the doctor or grocery store. So all in all I probably average 30 minutes a day on the bike, at an easy pace.

I also go to the gym, between 3-6 times a week for cardio and light strength (recovering from a shoulder surgery so i cant do much upper body or core stuff right now).

My question is.... I think that on the days i DONT go to the gym, my calories are way too low. However, if I UP my daily calories to reflect my average exercise routine...when i add in exercise.. . doesn't it give me twice the number of calories I need? I mean, isn't that like MFP is giving me extra calories to begin with, and then more when I exercise?

I feel like 1220 is way too low on days I dont exercise... Yesterday I did about an hour of cardio (cycle and stairmaster) and of course today I am famished!!

Thank you!

Replies

• beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't know for sure how to answer that, besides maybe try upping your calories a bit and see what results you get with that, then reduce calories as needed if you aren't meeting your goals. I'm not a big fan of dropping calorie intake that much, you have to REALLY be picky with your food choices to meet other nutrient requirements (protein, fiber, vitamins). For me, the only excersize I get currently is 1 Zumba class a week, plus chasing around a 3 year old and a 9 month old. Just by keeping a food log and getting 1900 calories a day I drop about a pound a week. I've done this before, to get rid of baby weight after my 1st one, so I know what to expect with intake and weight loss. I had to adjust my settings to be .5 lb/week and that I excersize alot to get me the 1900 calories, but I'm keeping it there until I don't meet my goal for a couple weeks. Then I'll readjust calories or add more excersize (with spring comming up soon I can finally start taking the boys for a walk!)

Best thing is to check with your doctor about your daily intake, especially if you're going that low. Hope this helps.
  • bookdame
    Options
    Thanks Becky!

I guess maybe MFP's estimate of your/my daily need isn't perfect. Maybe I'll try to change it to 1/2 lb a week and see how that goes.

If anyone else has suggestions or answers, I'd love to hear. I'm trying to be positive/inquisitive in my journey. I have gained 20 pounds over the last two years because of an injury and depression, I'd really like to get back to a healthier weight.

Thanks!
  • Pvestin
    Pvestin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What I do - Just because the way my schedule is I am able to do long runs on Tuesday & Thursdays (45 - 60 minutes, 4 - 5.5 miles), I am also training with my daughters as they start c25k, so we run 1.5 miles, and we have Karate which is 75 minutes, 30 - 45 minutes is medium to high intensity, all these things happen on Tuesday & Thursday. I am easily 1000 calories under what I am "allowed" on Tuesdays & Thursdays. On Wednesdays I don't have time for any extra activities, and eating my allowed calories leaves me hungry. So if I go over 200 calories on Wednesday I think that's ok. I actually think its important in keeping my body fueled. So essentially I'm looking at my weekly caloric intake and expenditure and making sure I burn more than I eat.