time between sets?

Options
Some of the magazines I read say to wait no more than 60 seconds between sets or whatever.....but some times it takes me that long just to change my weights / set up between sets....for example on squats it usually takes me about 60 seconds after my first set before I find the weights I need to put on for my next set, and then after I load the weights I want toc atch my breath for a minute before I actually lift....

how do you all handle the time between sets / am I the only one with this issue?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Dont read magazines!
    they really want you to buy supplements!

That said...it really depends on the work!

If you are doing heavy compound lifts then give yourself a few mins for recovery.
    Isolation 45-90 seconds.

Just remember that it isnt the quantity but the quality of the workout that counts.

Whats your ultimate goal?
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Dont read magazines!

If you are doing heavy compound lifts then give yourself a few mins for recovery.
    Isolation 45-90 seconds.

Just remember that it isnt the quantity but the quality of the workout that counts.

I agree. Bottom line, everyone is different. I find that I can lift more with longer rest periods between sets.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I rest until I feel that I am ready to perform adequately on the next set.

For heaviest sets that will typically be in the 2 to 5 minute range. For work-sets leading up to the heaviest sets that typically is in the 2 to 3 minute range and for warmup sets, pretty much no rest.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are going for the "feel the burn" then you probably wont get too far.

Ditch the magazine and download Stronglifts 5x5.

then youll see a lot of this....

squat.jpg
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I usually do 2-4 min between squats. I do a power lifting style set and reps for large compound movements like squats, deads, and bench. But allowing you body to recoup more is in your best interest.
  • stward9280
    Options
    I try to superset. Today was chest/biceps. The idea is you work out one muscle group while "resting" the other. So I will get in a set of bench, then immediately do some alternating dumbbell curls, then back to bench (and so on...). I've never been a fan of hanging around and waiting in the weight room.
  • rob_base
    Options
    Yeah I superset Bis and Tris, so that works well....but I was curious about peoples resting paterns between sets....I was resting quite a bit between sets and lifting heavy / less reps...recently trying to change it up, more reps and less rest between sets...I find I can't do quite as much and hard to amke the speed between sets with setting up the weights........I guess in the magazines these are pros, and they have a trainer to get the weights ready for them fast?

thanks all, now I feel somewhat normal
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I do compound lifts & rest 2-3 minutes between. The bigger the muscle group, the longer the rest, i.e. squats & chest press get 3-min rests, but shoulder press & rows get 2 min. I find that the longer rest breaks allow for faster progression.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I usually wait until my body tells me its time to go again...which is about 1-2 minutes between sets. I don't sit there with a stop watch, I just listen to my body. However, if I'm doing a 5x5 workout, I'll wait 2-3 minutes between sets...and up to 4-5 minutes for my final set.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've waited 1-2 minutes or 4-5 minutes. It depends on how I'm feeling. I want to recover enough between my sets. Also depends on the lift. Bigger movements (more muscle groups involved) need more rest.
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    If you're going heavy you can take up to 2 minutes break.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation. I traditionally have waited 3-5 or MORE minutes in between my sets as a heavy lifting powerlifter. You simply cannot put yourself through some overload training and jump right back into it within a minute or two. It depends on the training you are doing... when trying to burn fat as well its great to make the rest periods short but even I notice when I wait only a minute in between sets there is NO way I can lift as much as I usually have, but its still a good workout because my muscles are having to adjust to the volume as well.
  • dsmonteith
    Options
    It depends...If I'm lifting heavy I'll rest up to 2 minutes between sets and 4 minutes between exercises. If I'm going lighter with higher reps and supersets I'll limit my rest to 30 to 60 seconds between sets and 2 minutes between exercises.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Dont read magazines!

Isolation 45-90 seconds.

Done in one.
  • rob_base
    Options
    so I am guessing some of you have long work outs? about how longs does your average weight trng session go?

I am trying for 30 - 40 minutes of weights and 20 -30 minutes of cardio
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    45-60 min per session for me.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've waited 1-2 minutes or 4-5 minutes. It depends on how I'm feeling. I want to recover enough between my sets. Also depends on the lift. Bigger movements (more muscle groups involved) need more rest.

Yup. Take as much time as you need. There are no set numbers.. 2 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever allows recovery.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    so I am guessing some of you have long work outs? about how longs does your average weight trng session go?

I am trying for 30 - 40 minutes of weights and 20 -30 minutes of cardio

However long it takes to warm up, work, and cool off. There are no set time frames, I'm more concerned about how much, than how long.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I set a stopwatch for 60 seconds, but often wait much longer. I go by how I feel, and usually want to see my heart rate go back down to around 110 or so.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    a lot of good replies and information here.

like taso said, i like to wear my HRM while i lift to see my heart rate go back down. once it dips below 120, i get back to what i was doing.

i didn't know that about compound exercises and larger muscle groups needing longer rests between sets. thanks. i would get so pissed at myself for needing 3 minutes to rest in between sets of thrusters. now i know its because i'm hittling a lot of large muscle groups.

and personally, i think for a basic gym routine, including warm up and a cool down and stretch, should take some where from 40-60 minutes.