I Messed Up

Options
Okay, so I messed up and overate.. To you you're probably thinking well then work it off, but here's the thing I went walking earlier and hurt my knee a little. So when I tried to do an exercise a minute ago envolvong cardio in my legs, it hurt to twist my leg to do the required position.
Is there anything that I can do that will help burn off 500ish calories that wont put any strain on my knee. And if not, what should I do. Should I not workout or should I try and do something?

Replies

• KirbyyJ
    Options
    Sorry I meant to mention that I'm wearing a knee brace on I right now, and hats somewhat helping the pain, but it still hurts to twist
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it. we all mess up. that how we learn. if we give up then theres where the problem starts. just think before you eat next time.and dont over do it if you are hurting.
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you over ate past your maintenance or past your mfp target?
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Boxing...you can stand in a stationary position and just move your upper body. It can really get your heart rate up. If you don't feel up to it, just do better tomorrow.
  • KirbyyJ
    Options
    Do you mean you over ate past your maintenance or past your mfp target?

I overate past my MFP target
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    First of all, please relax. You are human. And sometimes human crave more food than our MFP allowance gives us, lol.

Take a walk, and drink lots of water.

And try not to binge out often. I have a problem with it, so I've been stuck lately. But really, one bad day/night isn't going to totally de-rail you, unless you let it - by making it a habit. So don't get stuck on the guilt or whatever you are feeling, and start fresh tomorrow!

The best thing is to just move on from today, and in the future identify what triggered you, so you can avoid it or divert yourself in the future.

Good luck!
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stuff happens. If you are hurting, just ice down the knee and try to do better tomorrow. Don't mess with it because knees wont heal if not rested when strained. I have had six different knee surgeries from sports.
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    Hey I don't know what you can do to burn those calories but please don't beat yourself up. None of us are perfect and we are gonna have days where we eat more then others. Don't call it a mess up. This is life and things happen. Just rest your body and get back to it tomorrow! =)
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, we're all allowed to mess up once in a while. That being said, you can burn a few calories doing other things. Can you do some yoga or pilates? push ups? Sit ups? Something is better than nothing in my opinion.
  • nikkiespo
    Options
    Boxing, or just walking around. Walking will help stretch out your knee and hopefully heal it quicker, but if its too painful, do some boxing. Even some upper body weight training with you sitting down will help burn off the calories. MFP doesn't calculate weight training as calorie burning, but its still a fact that it happens.

Also, I just read an article that if you can do interval training, it'll help a lot. See if you can do somethings, but just for 1 minute and then rest. If it works out that you can, keep doing that until you've done a combine total of 10 minutes. Then calculate those with MFP.

And, don't sweat it too much. We all have our oops days. keep doing what you can until the knee is healed, and tomorrow try sticking with your allotted calories a little better.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    yep we all mess up. best thing to remember work with your diet to get it under control so that you don't feel like you have to starin yourself to undo a bad day of eating. and remember light exercise is better than no exercise. don't strain yourself, hope your knee feels better. get some good rest, drink plenty of water, and remember tat tomorrow is a new day. take care
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good, less stress on the joints.
    Upper body weights, pushups, sit ups.
    Don't stress just have a little less over the next two/three days to make up for it.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat past mine all the time. While you might not be able to today, if it still hurts tomorrow, I suggest swimming. It is a great full body cardio and is easy on the joints. I would know because I was a college swimmer even though I have all kinds of shoulder/back/hip/knee issues :)
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    Don't worry about it!!! I binged and ate 7000 calories Over my limit on Friday!!! 500 is nothing, and u will be completely fine if u just pick urself back up, tomorrow is a fresh day :).
  • KirbyyJ
    Options
    Thank you to everyone, I'm going to continue to read you guys (and gals) post. Again thank you, you always are able to put me into a good mood.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. Admit it and quit it... In short as one has already said... We all mess up. Don't worry about it.
    2. "No pain -- no gain" --- does not apply to injuries. You will injure yourself worse and make your situation messier if you continue to exacerbate the injury.
    3. Swimming may be an aerobic type exercise you can do.. but it is likely you are just going to have to wait that one out. Some upper body strength training may be some help in caloric burn.. better than nothing.
    4. You say you are over "500" calories -- that translates to 1/7 of a pound... Not a lot. If you are saying you are 500 cal. over your goal, it is likely that that 500 calories is factored in as your projected loss. of a pound or two a week. In other words, it may be that you are still not in weight gain mode.
    5. If you are still concerned about this 500 calories... cut back an additional 100 calories a day for 5 days to make up for it. Some days I am right on my goal and some days I may be (usually am) well under. If I happen to go over a day or two... I have it "in the bank"
    6. Finally -- our measurements are 99.9% of the time not an exact science anyway... I for one don't count peas, nuts or beans to get the exact count. Relax .. Don't make a habit of it and you will be just fine.
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Work your upper body, just do some weight training if you got some and go for a 30 or 40 minute walk. You'll burn some calories. I wouldnt get too hung up on tying to burn the 500 calories as you have only gone over your mfp goal which is set at a calorie deficit so you are unlikely to hinder your progress by goin over for one day.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When you "Complete Today's Diary" you will likely see that your estimated weight in five weeks will be projected at or near your last check-in weight. That's because the calorie deficit is already includes in you goal calories. You will eventually discover (maybe even now) that it is good to fluctuated at times. If you gain a bunch of weight (seemingly over these 500 calories) then you either have inflamation (from your injury) or you have already placed yourself in starvation mode by regularly going under your minimum. If you haven't been doing that (going under a lot) then you are going to be totally fine and possibly benefit by preventing starvation mode. As for the knee... If it takes a while to heal then you can do upper body strength & toning. That will burn some calories but not the kind of calories we'd all like it to. Abdominals too. Take care of your knee and keep a watch on your calories and you should be back to normal soon. :flowerforyou:
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Boxing...you can stand in a stationary position and just move your upper body. It can really get your heart rate up. If you don't feel up to it, just do better tomorrow.

I agree, boxing is a good workout. You can also lift weights or go on a walk ifyou knee will allow it. Take it easy :)
  • Forestr
    Options
    Please go easy on yourself. This moment forward is a beginning. Learn from how you are feeling and from this moment forward track your caories and you will be fine. This is a journey and you will get there if you believe! I believe in you!