need to quit smoking!

Options
I don't want people to comment back about how bad smoking is, I know I know. :( I keep trying to quit but it only lasts for about a week at a time. I need help from someone whose been in my position! I'm not only trying to lose weight, but I'm also just trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Anybody provide some help for ways to quit for good?

Replies

• greatwhitehuntershrekie
    Options
    chantix worked for me!
  • AmyMSinclair
    Options
    I used the patch. If you do, take it off at night because the dreams/insomnia are crazy. I also gained about 25# when I quit which was SO frustrating for me. I replaced that need for a cig with food. Not a good idea. However, I am now 6 months nicotine free and training for a half marathon. It was hard, but I smoked for 15 years and I managed to do it. Good luck!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I replaced smoking with exercise, and it's worked for me since August. I also chewed a lot of gum, and drank a lot more water. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • peacefrog08109
    peacefrog08109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used chantix and started running. You can't be a runner and a smoker. It just does not work. I've been a non-smoker since Halloween. I think a mistake a lot of people make is thinking one cigarette is a total relapse. It's not. Forgive yourself and toss the pack you bought.
  • Megclark37
    Options
    Thank you for the support, everyone! :)
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Chantix and it is a miracle drug! I have quit and started several times and it is very hard to quit while trying to lose weight. I have noticed that the more active I am, the less I want to smoke. I just feel so much better when I'm not smoking and I can actually go hiking and be active without running out of breath. Just try to stay positive. I have now set my calories to lose .5lb a week and may even set it to maintain my current weight until I get the smoking...or quitting thing under control. One day at a time...

Best of luck and feel free to add me.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    1. Make the DECISION to stop
    2. Pick a date and TIME (i.e. - 8pm)
    3. Get HELP wherever you can find it (gum, patch, chantix, gummi bears, whatever)
    4. Tell EVERYONE you are quitting - build a support system of people who will hold you accountable
    5. CHANGE your routines - anything that used to involve smoking needs to be changed (find something else to do on breaks, take a different route home)
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    its in my plan for the spring after i have lost another 25 pounds or so. not sure how i am going to do it tho - i have been smoking for so many years. good luck to you.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Definitely get Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I've quit a few other times and was always miserable. This book made a huge difference for me bc it helps you to think differently about quitting. You have nothing to lose from reading it and everything to gain. Good luck!!
  • groovybeenz
    groovybeenz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used the nicotine gum and I haven't had a cigarette in 45 days. I haven't used the gum in a few days. I went a whole day without even thinking about it so I figured it was time to give that up too. The first couple weeks are the worst but I feel so much better when I'm working out since I quit. Just gotta stick with. I haven't gained any weight though. I've lost 9.5 lbs since I quit.
  • ks_mommaof5
    ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat!!! I keep rationalizing my habit by explaining that I only smoke when I'm alone, in the car, commuting to/from work ... but it still equates to a half-pack-per-day habit. My five fabulous kids don't know I smoke and I typically can last the weekend/evenings without ever even thinking about it. But come Monday morning, I drop the kids off at school, roll down the windows, turn off the A/C and chain smoke all the way into the office.

It's so stupid that I can KNOW what I need to do but just not be ready/willing to do it. Of course it's the same thing with eating better and exercising. Since I'm beginning to have success in these other arenas, maybe I should apply what I've learned.

1) think about it as one moment and one decision at a time. Instead of the "forever" thing, I'll think about each cigarette one at a time. Do I really need it? Do I really want it? Am I ok with the consequences of having it?
    2) use visualization/positive self-talk. I'm going to start thinking of myself as "healthy" and extend that to say "healthy non-smoker." Maybe if I say it/think it enough I'll start to act like it.
    3) set rewards for myself. I need to think through what I'll give myself if I go 1 week, 30 days, 90 days, 1 year smoke-free.

Sorry for my rambling reply ... this has been on my mind all week ... :)
  • NKolhar
    NKolhar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Patch and Chewing gum !!
  • Megclark37
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat!!! I keep rationalizing my habit by explaining that I only smoke when I'm alone, in the car, commuting to/from work ... but it still equates to a half-pack-per-day habit. My five fabulous kids don't know I smoke and I typically can last the weekend/evenings without ever even thinking about it. But come Monday morning, I drop the kids off at school, roll down the windows, turn off the A/C and chain smoke all the way into the office.

It's so stupid that I can KNOW what I need to do but just not be ready/willing to do it. Of course it's the same thing with eating better and exercising. Since I'm beginning to have success in these other arenas, maybe I should apply what I've learned.

1) think about it as one moment and one decision at a time. Instead of the "forever" thing, I'll think about each cigarette one at a time. Do I really need it? Do I really want it? Am I ok with the consequences of having it?
    2) use visualization/positive self-talk. I'm going to start thinking of myself as "healthy" and extend that to say "healthy non-smoker." Maybe if I say it/think it enough I'll start to act like it.
    3) set rewards for myself. I need to think through what I'll give myself if I go 1 week, 30 days, 90 days, 1 year smoke-free.

Sorry for my rambling reply ... this has been on my mind all week ... :)

Thats exactly how I feel! My friends and family don't know I smoke. I hide it really well but I am so ashamed of myself at the end of the day. I told myself that tonight was my LAST. Hopefully I can keep it up!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Definitely get Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I've quit a few other times and was always miserable. This book made a huge difference for me bc it helps you to think differently about quitting. You have nothing to lose from reading it and everything to gain. Good luck!!

The success rate is astronomical, and it's the price of a book, and doesn't require drugs.
  • tdegie
    tdegie Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm a 20 year smoker and training for my first ever 5K and NO smoking doesn't help and I keep telling myself I would do so much better if I just didn't smoke but it's so hard. I will have a smoke on the way to the gym and can't get out of the parking lot fast enough to lite up again. I think for the most part is that I would feel like I lost my best friend, the one thing I turn to when I'm sad, happy, depressed, mad, or just having a bad day. I wish everyone the best of luck and hopefully one day I can kick this nasty habit.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I smoked 2 packs a day for more than half my life. Last December I decided enough was enough and I decided to try the electronic cigarette. For me it was always more the physical act of smoking that I was most addicted too so this really worked for me. The first week was weird - you were gettin the sensation of smoking without the cigarette - but so much easier then when I went cold turkey. It's now been a year and 3 months and I'm still off of cigarettes - and I went from 11 mg of nicotine to 6 mg and now I'm on 0mg. Good luck to you!!!