Protein

Options
I am wondering what I can add to my diet for protein that isn't high in calories and isn't animal or soy protein? Anyone with an idea?

TIA
Julie

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, quinoa.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    whey protein, natural peanut butter
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Tuna in brine
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, quinoa.
    ^^^^^ This!! I love lentils!!
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about "supplements" but I found protein powders to be a great filler for me. I don't know how they are processed but, then again, I don't know how anything is processed these days :/ The Vitamin Shoppe is my favorite source and they have sales and specials often enough. I am on a student budget and cannot afford expensive powders.

My favorite brand is "Nectar" because the powders are fruit-flavored and lack the characteristic "fake" taste that vanilla, chocolate, and cookies-and-cream powders have. I get strawberry kiwi when I have extra $$ - it is delicious added to skim milk or almond milk. I think it is 20-24 grams of protein per serving and virtually no fat or carbohydrates (~ 2 g carbs). When I don't have extra $$, I go to Walmart and get strawberry-flavored whey from Body Fortress. It doesn't taste as good but almond milk fixes everything IMO.
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    Thank you everyone, got some good ideas!
  • pjteige
    Options
    Non-fat greek yogurt.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    If you're not ingesting animal protein (dairy is still animal because it comes from one) then you're cutting yourself short of a lot of benefits. Chicken, eggs, meat and dairy (whey protein) are the best sources of protein your body can digest better than anything else. Legumes are great but all of the protein is not readily available for your use.
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    Yes that is true and I do love eggs, I'm just trying to limit how much of my protein comes from animal sources and thought that there had to be more choices than soy and nuts. I grew up on a farm so most of my life has been eating animal protein. I've done some reading and some of the things that they say comes from eating animal protein is what has happened to my health. Like auto immune disease and cancer.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
    Julie
  • RobynJoy76
    RobynJoy76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Legumes are good if you pair them with rice to get a complete protein. But that is why quinoa is so great - it is a complete protein on it's own! Also, if you allow dairy, organic nonfat greek yogurt is a super awesome snack.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Legumes are good if you pair them with rice to get a complete protein. But that is why quinoa is so great - it is a complete protein on it's own! Also, if you allow dairy, organic nonfat greek yogurt is a super awesome snack.

This! Quinoa is a fabulous alternative.
  • glenndanzig
    glenndanzig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hemp protein
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    NutraSumma pea protein (esp the chocolate) - it is not only delicious, but it is more easily digested than most proteins.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Look up Quarn products. Good stuff.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    The protein combining theory proposed by Francis Lappe was recounted decades ago, yet still hangs on. Vegetable proteins are not incomplete.

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Tuna in brine

Ah yes, the awesome non animal protein magical tuna. Gotta get me some of that! :) lol
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes that is true and I do love eggs, I'm just trying to limit how much of my protein comes from animal sources and thought that there had to be more choices than soy and nuts. I grew up on a farm so most of my life has been eating animal protein. I've done some reading and some of the things that they say comes from eating animal protein is what has happened to my health. Like auto immune disease and cancer.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
    Julie

That's the opposite of the Paleo camp. If you read their stuff, they say grains and dairy cause auto immune responses, and you should eat meat?
  • krol_81
    krol_81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally love the Isopure whey protein shakes. GNC carries it, a little pricey at regular price but they go on sale for half price pretty often or you can become a GNC gold member which discounts it 20% when it's not on sale. My favorite is creamy vanilla but chocolate is also tasty. It's 0 carb, one serving is two scoops of powder which has 210 calories & 50 gram protein. If that's more than you want just do one scoop.

I try to start my day with this, after coffee, and it makes a huge difference in my day. It's an easy, quick, short cut way for me to get some substance in my diet.
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    there is so much information out on diets that I get confused. Protein or no protein, fat, lowfat, no fat, no sugar, fake sugar....argh! I've had breast cancer so no soy anything.