Fake sugar, diet soda and cravings

So in December, I decided to give up Splenda. My addiction started as a replacement for sugar and an excuse to eat more sweets. Honestly, quitting Splenda was one of the best choices I have made. My brain fog lifted, the sugar cravings stopped, I wasn't hungry all the time any more, I had more energy. Sweet things became too sweet (something which I never understood how people could say).

Right around the same time, my friend posted this on her blog...
http://msmorphosis.com/diet-soda Read it and tell me what you think about sugar alcohols.

Incase the site doesn't show it is msmorphosis [dot] com [ slash] diet [-] soda

Do you agree? Tell me your thoughts.

Replies

• sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Bump
  • sblueyez
    No one?
  • KristiMMM
    KristiMMM Posts: 51 Member
    Holy crap. That aricle is disturbing. I have given up Diet soda for the most part. Though I did splurge today & had a 32 oz dt dr pep. It was the first one ive had in a long time and I seriously was bouncing off of the walls & felt uber hyper. I have been drinking green tea but I put 2 splenda packets in it. I am worried it will taste gross if I dont add the splenda, but now Im worried that im cancelling out the positive effects of the tea with apparent poison. Man... I have nothing good left to consume on this new lifestyle diet /:
  • That was interesting. I recently switched from regular Dr. Pepper to diet (I discovered that I was drinking aprox. 750 calories a day) and now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea. I had been planning to get off soda completely, but I'm a caffeine junky and couldn't quit cold turkey so I decided to try the diet version of my soda both to cut calories and to ween myself off - then I started hearing all this stuff about aspartame. I checked the soda can and yep, there it was. *sigh* The first diet pop I find that doesn't taste revolting to me and it's apparently worse for me than the 'regular' stuff. What a drag. I guess I'm going to speed up the weening process, I've decided that this will be my last 12 pack of the stuff. Hopefully my withdrawal won't be as rough as your friends since I haven't been drinking it for very long.
  • MaddoxsMommy
    MaddoxsMommy Posts: 51 Member
    Bump
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    The responses to her blog are also interesting. She doesn't really address the questions asked. I think most of the claims have been disproven.
    But, if you feel better not using Splenda, that's great.
  • sblueyez
    The responses to her blog are also interesting. She doesn't really address the questions asked. I think most of the claims have been disproven.
    But, if you feel better not using Splenda, that's great.

Oh I hadn't noticed that. Always good to hear another angle. Thanks. I definitely feel better without the Splenda ;)
  • sblueyez
    Holy crap. That aricle is disturbing. I have given up Diet soda for the most part. Though I did splurge today & had a 32 oz dt dr pep. It was the first one ive had in a long time and I seriously was bouncing off of the walls & felt uber hyper. I have been drinking green tea but I put 2 splenda packets in it. I am worried it will taste gross if I dont add the splenda, but now Im worried that im cancelling out the positive effects of the tea with apparent poison. Man... I have nothing good left to consume on this new lifestyle diet /:

I drink tea as well and was putting one or two Splenda in. Once I stopped I found that drinking plain tea wasn't really that bad! After the way Splenda's effects on my taste buds went away, everything tasted much better. I could just be crazy though! I'm still drinking plain tea :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That was interesting. I recently switched from regular Dr. Pepper to diet (I discovered that I was drinking aprox. 750 calories a day) and now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea. I had been planning to get off soda completely, but I'm a caffeine junky and couldn't quit cold turkey so I decided to try the diet version of my soda both to cut calories and to ween myself off - then I started hearing all this stuff about aspartame. I checked the soda can and yep, there it was. *sigh* The first diet pop I find that doesn't taste revolting to me and it's apparently worse for me than the 'regular' stuff. What a drag. I guess I'm going to speed up the weening process, I've decided that this will be my last 12 pack of the stuff. Hopefully my withdrawal won't be as rough as your friends since I haven't been drinking it for very long.

Walmart brand has these tube packets of flavoring for water, I don't recall any splenda, but it did have caffeine!
    And some interesting flavors. I think some B vitamins too. Meant as a pick-me-up. But I can't drink it too late, because 60mg of caffeine.
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    I quit the diet soda's about two weeks ago now and have more energy, less cravings and generally feel more energetic...I used to get through about 5 200ml cans a day easily, sometimes more and was using it to stop my hunger...of course it was having the opposite affect (unknown to me)...I have found I can now drink water without having to make the effort to do so....now I don't even want it...I would have a glass if I really wanted it but so far am happy without...good luck :):smile:
  • That was interesting. I recently switched from regular Dr. Pepper to diet (I discovered that I was drinking aprox. 750 calories a day) and now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea. I had been planning to get off soda completely, but I'm a caffeine junky and couldn't quit cold turkey so I decided to try the diet version of my soda both to cut calories and to ween myself off - then I started hearing all this stuff about aspartame. I checked the soda can and yep, there it was. *sigh* The first diet pop I find that doesn't taste revolting to me and it's apparently worse for me than the 'regular' stuff. What a drag. I guess I'm going to speed up the weening process, I've decided that this will be my last 12 pack of the stuff. Hopefully my withdrawal won't be as rough as your friends since I haven't been drinking it for very long.

Walmart brand has these tube packets of flavoring for water, I don't recall any splenda, but it did have caffeine!
    And some interesting flavors. I think some B vitamins too. Meant as a pick-me-up. But I can't drink it too late, because 60mg of caffeine.

That's good to know, thanks! I'll look for them next time I'm there.
  • sblueyez
    That was interesting. I recently switched from regular Dr. Pepper to diet (I discovered that I was drinking aprox. 750 calories a day) and now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea. I had been planning to get off soda completely, but I'm a caffeine junky and couldn't quit cold turkey so I decided to try the diet version of my soda both to cut calories and to ween myself off - then I started hearing all this stuff about aspartame. I checked the soda can and yep, there it was. *sigh* The first diet pop I find that doesn't taste revolting to me and it's apparently worse for me than the 'regular' stuff. What a drag. I guess I'm going to speed up the weening process, I've decided that this will be my last 12 pack of the stuff. Hopefully my withdrawal won't be as rough as your friends since I haven't been drinking it for very long.

Costco had one too called zip fizz I think.

That's good to know, thanks! I'll look for them next time I'm there.
  • Trallaurrum
    Trallaurrum Posts: 25 Member

Try natural sweeteners. I like honey in my tea, or you could try agave. I've also heard Stevia isn't as scary since it's an intensely sweet herb, but I think it might leave an aftertaste (just running off memory here, so I could be wrong.)