Exercise suggestions

Options
I recently discovered that I have a stress fracture in my right foot. I have to wear a lovely, black boot on my foot for the next 4-6 weeks. The nurse told me that I could continue do some exercise, but told me to stay off the treadmill and inclines. I am a cardio junky. I really want to keep up my 14lb. weight lose since it took me from January to get this far, but I would be extatic to lose more while I am injured. I don't have a gym membership anymore, so I am looking for something I can do around my house. Any ideas? I am looking to do exercise for a maximum of 4 days a week. I don't want to push it too much.
I have adjusted my profile to reflect the change in my exercise, therefore adjusting my calories. I had already been at a plateau for about 3 weeks prior to the injury. I am open to any and all suggested because I am just super frustrated right now.

Replies

• hdawg
    hdawg Posts: 28
    Options
    You could get one of those big yoga balls and do some yoga on it. You can do sit ups and all kinds of exercises on those things. Plus you can do some upper body weight lifting. Maybe this is a good time in your workout to start focusing more on toning your upper body.
  • hdawg
    hdawg Posts: 28
    Options
    Here are a few yoga ball exercises that should be okay for an injured foot
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm
  • Christine30412
    Options
    You could do upper body cardio, like punches and things like that.
  • Christine30412
    Options
    You could do upper body cardio, like punches and things like that.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    What about the rowing machine?
  • aballew05
    aballew05 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you can take your boot off, you could swim. Swimming would be an excellent way to keep up with your cardio. Check your neighborhood pools for lap swim times. If you are not able to keep up with cardio like you have, be sure to cut back on your daily calories to keep the weight off.

It's You vs. You
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can get some DVD's as well for yoga and pilates or anything really since you're not giong to be doing too much foot work.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you can take your boot off, you could swim. Swimming would be an excellent way to keep up with your cardio. Check your neighborhood pools for lap swim times. If you are not able to keep up with cardio like you have, be sure to cut back on your daily calories to keep the weight off.

It's You vs. You

Deep water running or water aerobics would be good choices, too. The only problem with taking up lap swimming as an injury substitute is that, by the time your master the stroke and build up the endurance to really do some quality training, the recovery period is over.

OTOH, if someone is having stress fractures, a longer-term water program might be a good permanent addition--whether lap swimming or the other choices.

In any case, I would agree with you that the pool is by far the best alternative and well worth the cost.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I think the pool might be a good alternative. I have to do some whirlpool therapy for my foot. So obvious the water exercise wouldn't be too much strain.