Going to get Polar which one is the best?

Options
So I have heard that the F4 is good but then I heard the F7 is better. I'm so confused. My treadmill I think is about dead for monitoring my HR it was bouncy from 10-30. I know that's wrong. So any help is very much appreciated. I just don't have the extra money to throw away so want to make sure I get the best one I could afford.
Also do they all come with the chest band and is this something you need to wear to make it work? Little confused on these since I never really used one.

Replies

• sc0311
    sc0311 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and I think it's awesome. I ordered it online and it should come with everything you need including the chest strap and connector. You have to wear the chest strap and connector every time you work out. I looked into the FT7, but I found that in my case the FT4 was less expensive, and really all that I needed it for was to see how many calories I had burned during my workouts. Hope this helps!
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Ive done quite a bit of reading reviews and like what I read about the FT7. Think I am going to order one. I want it for biking and workouts period, just not sure if it will calculate good enough for biking or if I would need to go with something a little more advanced.

FT7 though
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Chest strap = mandatory for reliable readings.

Don't go too cheap - Polar makes good products, so you're good there.

The FT7 is a great HRM. Its only real downside is the inability to update your V02Max (or "OwnIndex" in Polar-speak). HRMs estimate your calorie burns by calculating your HR as a percentage of your Max HR, which you can enter manually. This number is usually given as (220 minus your age), but some people's max HR varies widely from that. You're better off starting with that estimate and then using your effort perception to change it up or down in the HRM. For example, my max is estimated at 185, but I regularly go over 185 without feeling like I'm gonna die, so I've moved my max in the HRM up to 195. This is likely closer to the truth, therefore my calorie burn readings will be more accurate.

Your V02Max is needed to further refine your calorie numbers - it is the measure of the max volume of oxygen that your body can metabolize at any one time. You can find various calculators out there to estimate this number, or you can get it tested clinically (I did). Higher level Polar watches (FT40 and FT60, for example) will test your V02Max for you or let you enter your own number. When you do, you can then rely on your measurements that much more.

I used the FT7 for 4 months with great success, then switched to the FT40 for greater fidelity. The cost difference was only about $20. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $100 for a decent HRM.

Your weight loss plan is only as good as your calorie intake and burn estimates... purchase accordingly.